My violet female budgie
my cage
two blues
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Child Health Site
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#117632 - 04/15/05 11:27 PM Do you have a favourite artist or painting?
PDM Offline

True Blue Soulmate

Loc: UK
Do you have a favourite artist or painting?

I like the work of quite a few artists: Turner, Monet, Constable.

I've been to Monet's place at Giverny and we went to Constable country in Suffolk. (I actually went to school in an old mansion house that Constable had stayed in - and he has painted some views of it.)

Add Do you have a favourite artist or painting? to Twitter Add Do you have a favourite artist or painting? to Facebook Add Do you have a favourite artist or painting? to MySpace Add Do you have a favourite artist or painting? to Del.icio.us Digg Do you have a favourite artist or painting? Add Do you have a favourite artist or painting? to Yahoo My Web Add Do you have a favourite artist or painting? to Google Bookmarks Add Do you have a favourite artist or painting? to Stumbleupon Add Do you have a favourite artist or painting? to Reddit
#117633 - 04/16/05 08:30 PM Re: Do you have a favourite artist or painting?
Jo Offline
Friend

Loc: West Sussex
i find it hard to decide on a particular favourite. when i was younger i did a study on michelangelo - i've always found rennaissance art fascinating, and have a few copies of some studio sketches.

i'm not a fan of todays art, though, which pains me, but i find so much of it lacks any skill.

i love todays photography though. i went to see sabasiao salgado's 'migrations' and 'the children' projects at the barbican a couple of years ago - very moving and stunning imagery.

http://www.terra.com.br/sebastiaosalgado/

Add Re: Do you have a favourite artist or painting? to Twitter Add Re: Do you have a favourite artist or painting? to Facebook Add Re: Do you have a favourite artist or painting? to MySpace Add Re: Do you have a favourite artist or painting? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Do you have a favourite artist or painting? Add Re: Do you have a favourite artist or painting? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Do you have a favourite artist or painting? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Do you have a favourite artist or painting? to Stumbleupon Add Re: Do you have a favourite artist or painting? to Reddit
#117634 - 04/17/05 05:29 PM Re: Do you have a favourite artist or painting?
PDM Offline

True Blue Soulmate

Have you seen 'The Earth from the Air' photographic exhibition? It's brilliant and very thought-provoking.

a bit more info here: http://www.earthfromtheair.com/
http://www.earthfromtheair.com/gallery.html
http://www.earthfromtheair.com/efa.html

"EARTH FROM THE AIR is the most compelling, inspiring exhibition you are ever likely to see!
The exhibition of giant images currently in the City Centre of Birmingham .. is a result of a remarkable 14-year project.
Yann Arthus-Bertrand's mission was to create a photographic record of the natural world at the start of a new millennium.
The collection of 160 images takes viewers off the ground and into the air to witness a bird's-eye view of the extraordinary patterns and colours created in landscapes all over the world. "

Add Re: Do you have a favourite artist or painting? to Twitter Add Re: Do you have a favourite artist or painting? to Facebook Add Re: Do you have a favourite artist or painting? to MySpace Add Re: Do you have a favourite artist or painting? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Do you have a favourite artist or painting? Add Re: Do you have a favourite artist or painting? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Do you have a favourite artist or painting? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Do you have a favourite artist or painting? to Stumbleupon Add Re: Do you have a favourite artist or painting? to Reddit
#117635 - 04/19/05 07:35 AM Re: Do you have a favourite artist or painting?
MaYa Offline

Loc: London
Hi all, my first post, so what is more appropriate to talk about art?
I agree with the Arthus-Bertrand claim, I loved his photographs. I also really enjoy many other artists' works, e.g. Monet, Botticelli, Turner and so on.
It is very hard to decide on one only, but for some 20 years, since I first remember seeing it, I have loved The Venus painting by Botticelli, it amazes me every time.

#117636 - 04/19/05 10:09 AM Re: Do you have a favourite artist or painting?
PDM Offline

True Blue Soulmate

Hi MaYa & welcome.
Yes that is beautiful.
It reminded me of a painting I saw and immediately loved several years ago: 'Jesus the Light of the World'. I think it's by Holman-Hunt. I'll check.

#117637 - 04/20/05 06:16 AM Re: Do you have a favourite artist or painting?
LPG Offline
Best Friend

PDM Thankyou for those links, those photos are beautiful. I'd have to say my favourite artist would have to be mother nature herself.

National Geographic have put out some truly amazing books, one in particular "Orbit" with photos taken by astronauts. The Earth looks very different from that height.

#117638 - 04/25/05 06:08 PM Re: Do you have a favourite artist or painting?
Jo Offline
Friend

yes, the earth from the air photos are amazing - thanks pdm.
they remind me of the series of photos taken from satelites. i don't know if these might be the same as the 'orbit' photos...
i agree that there is nothing quite as breath-taking as the planet around us. this is why i love travel and photography.

otherwise, i do like the classics; ie french impressionists and expressionists - manet, monet etc, but i really like the vintage parisian adverts - artists such as fabrice de villeneuve.

earlier this year, with my job i was helping to instal some exhibitions for the tate modern and tate britain in london. i loved being there (and was lucky enough to meet a great sculpter), but could not bring myself to appreciate the art for what it was. i found the stories behind the work very interesting, but there was just no skill.

#117639 - 04/25/05 06:14 PM Re: Do you have a favourite artist or painting?
PDM Offline

True Blue Soulmate

My uncle is an artist and he believes that J M W Turner probably turns in his grave whenever the 'Turner Award' is given out.

#117640 - 04/25/05 06:26 PM Re: Do you have a favourite artist or painting?
Jo Offline
Friend

i couldn't agree more - just the thought of tracy emin and that disgusting bed drives me mad!

when i was studying art, there was quite a young guy on my course who simply typed one word on each of about 100 sheets of A4 paper, and pinned loosely to a wall in a big rectangle. he passed with a distinction. what's the point!

i hate to be bias, but my uncle is also an artist, and have yet to find an artist who has impressed me more. unfortunately he has never tried to sell any of his work, and now he has terrible arthritis and eyesight, and can't actually produce any more. however, i'll take a couple photos of his work over the next few days to show you!

#117641 - 04/25/05 07:11 PM Re: Do you have a favourite artist or painting?
LPG Offline
Best Friend

Some objects of art are anything but, just as Joe described about the word on the A4 paper.

Our government paid millions for a painting many years ago (back int he 70's I think) and I finally saw it - "Blue Poles". I've seen better work done by my five year old students!

I like art to be 'art'. Something beautiful to look at and to actually represent something that the person can understand.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Latest Posts
Meditate
by Lisa Shea
08/01/14 04:51 PM
In A Glance - A Medieval Romance
by Lisa Shea
07/30/14 07:52 PM
A Sense of Duty
by Lisa Shea
07/30/14 04:35 PM
Trusting In Faith
by Lisa Shea
07/30/14 02:24 AM
Aspen Allegations
by Lisa Shea
07/29/14 06:35 PM
Into The Wasteland
by Lisa Shea
07/29/14 04:42 PM
budgie bonding again
by keerthi
07/28/14 09:11 PM
Tadpoles
by Lisa Shea
07/28/14 04:26 PM
Yoga
by Lisa Shea
07/28/14 01:47 PM
How do I train 2 Parakeets
by Kymber
07/28/14 10:06 AM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site