My violet female budgie
my cage
two blues
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Child Health Site
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#129660 - 06/16/06 10:54 PM What are Dreams?
PDM Offline

True Blue Soulmate

Loc: UK
Much is made of dreams in the Bible?

Are they of any real consequence?

I know a lot of people who think that they are or may be.

But:
Quote:
Originally posted by somsuj:

..Dreams

What are dreams ? does anyone know for sure ? it is a way of our subconscious fullfilling what we wish/expect ? are dreams true ? do dreams come true ?

We have discussed the reliability of dream messages before.

I had an experience where I seemed to receive a message for my Mum from her brother who had recently died.

But my Mum had a very interesting dream experience.

I remember one morning, when I was little, my Mum got up feeling disturbed.

She had woken suddenly in the night, having dreamt about a close friend, whom she had not seen for some time. In the dream this person was very, very ill and was grey in colour and appeared to be dying. He lived near my grandmother and my Dad reassured my Mum that it was probably just a nightmare, but if anything was really wrong, her mother would tell her.

Very soon, a letter arrived from my Grandmother. During that night this friend had been taken very ill. His face had become ashen and they had feared that he would die.

Interestingly, the last time that he had been taken seriously ill, he had spent all night calling for my Mum.

That was real. It happened. No ghosts, etc, but real living people. I know you don't know me or my Mum, but I know that this happened, so there must be an explanation for this apparently 'paranormal' event.

Add What are Dreams? to Twitter Add What are Dreams? to Facebook Add What are Dreams? to MySpace Add What are Dreams? to Del.icio.us Digg What are Dreams? Add What are Dreams? to Yahoo My Web Add What are Dreams? to Google Bookmarks Add What are Dreams? to Stumbleupon Add What are Dreams? to Reddit
#129661 - 06/17/06 04:31 AM Re: What are Dreams?
SpookyMark Offline
Best Friend

Loc: new zealand
Just a little ditty for some thought.....

The late great Roy Orbison:

"In dreams we do so many things, we set aside the rules we know,
and fly above the world so high in great and shining rings...
If only we could always live in dreams,
If only we could make of life - what in dreams,
It seems.
But in the real world, there are things that we cant hide
And feelings come to us in ways that we cant realise............"

Add Re: What are Dreams? to Twitter Add Re: What are Dreams? to Facebook Add Re: What are Dreams? to MySpace Add Re: What are Dreams? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: What are Dreams? Add Re: What are Dreams? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: What are Dreams? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: What are Dreams? to Stumbleupon Add Re: What are Dreams? to Reddit
#129662 - 06/17/06 06:43 AM Re: What are Dreams?
Galacticus Offline
Great Friend

Loc: Thailand
Years and years ago in India, I woke up somewhat frightened a big black Scorpion did sit on the little table beside my bed - but wasn't - it was 'only' a dream.

Then I felt restless it wasn't dawn yet - thoughts of home of my family arised and that I will soon be seeing them - on arrival on the Airport they told me that father had gone.... after a cpoule of days a told my brother he was stunned and said: "Yper, that was the day and approx. the time he left us.."

My sister had similar 'revelations' about his departure.

Same was, just recently, with my Mom.

The Problem with Dreams, I find, is that one usually is completely clueless, unless sometime later, when he get's the "key"...

Several month ago I was somewhat daydraeming and got this Vision that I am going to pull the Motorbike out of the garage and, becoming distracted while manouevering it out, backwards, with the stand, not up, rip the Toenail of the 'big toe' from my foot, off.

Thought: 'Always get the Bike with your shoes on, and this won't happen!", couple of months into - this was exactly what happenend, forgot about the shoes, barefoot, left foot, big toenail - it was just gone...I wasn't even surprised, but in awe.

We do have the ability to foresee, but for many it would just be unbearable and the suicide rate would probably increase dramatically.

In my life I came across a many such "Phenomena".

My Grandmother, she was in the days of the great ww2. almost a psychic.

Could foretell how the airattacks would affect the area!

Is it, that if we are able to 'finetune' into the great, allpervading Spirit, we can get the message - plenty of personal expiriences - tell me, YES!

But in our todays world - we are so distracted - by all kinds of 'white noise', information, TV, Music's playing somewhere all the time, trafficnoise all this, keeps 'the gates of perception' shut.

If we only would re-member how to listen....

in that context the Idea of the "Akasha-Library" comes to mind - anyone?

- Patanjali -

Add Re: What are Dreams? to Twitter Add Re: What are Dreams? to Facebook Add Re: What are Dreams? to MySpace Add Re: What are Dreams? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: What are Dreams? Add Re: What are Dreams? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: What are Dreams? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: What are Dreams? to Stumbleupon Add Re: What are Dreams? to Reddit
#129663 - 06/17/06 07:07 AM Re: What are Dreams?
SpookyMark Offline
Best Friend

Loc: new zealand
Galacticus, which goes along the comment i posted elsewhere regarding the 7 levels of conscousness and how they are disconnected by indoctrination/conditioning of society. Perhaps the dream state is where these levels have a chance to reconnect and enable the pathways to do what they're supposed to (whatever that may be)

Re Akasha: The Vampire? Or the records of every life ever lived? Lol, of cousre you're not referring to the nosferatu.........are you???

#129664 - 06/17/06 10:32 AM Re: What are Dreams?
PDM Offline

True Blue Soulmate

Loc: UK
Have you heard of the experiment where people arranged to 'meet' in their dreams?

It was supposedly real, but I can't find out anything about it now.

I read something about it and watched a TV programme on it, but this would have been in the late 70s / early80s, I think.

#129665 - 06/17/06 04:33 PM Re: What are Dreams?
Deborah Offline
Regular

Just a few thoughts on the matter.

I have read that dreams are the subconcious mind trying to reconcile the sensory overload we experience in our hours of alertness. However some dreams I believe are teaching dreams.

I have had many vivid dreams, one in particular is a a dream of being in a wild west ghost town. As I walked upon a deteriorated boardwalk, I entered a saloon, the smells were vivid as well, there were bottles still on the table, chairs tipped over, cobwebs and dust everwhere, the glass in the windows were so filthy you could barely see light through them, and then I spot a cash register. I open it up and inside where gold coins. I looked around to see if I were alone..I thought for a split second of keeping a coin. My higher conscious would not permit it. I returned the coin to the register and walked away.

What I learned from that dream was; If I were to become wealthy, it would come about as acts of dishonesty. I have learned to take only what I need and leave the rest.

I shared this dream with a friend who was into lucid dreaming and the friend suggested I return to the dream and bring a coin back..Now I may be blonde but this was ridiculious. Not that all lucid dreaming is absurd, but if I cannot be dishonest in moments of alertness I certainly could not be so in a dream.

I agree with what Galacticus states:

"But in our todays world - we are so distracted - by all kinds of 'white noise', information, TV, Music's playing somewhere all the time, trafficnoise all this, keeps 'the gates of perception' shut."

With all the modern distraction we have, we are prone to sensory overload.

#129666 - 06/18/06 04:00 AM Re: What are Dreams?
Galacticus Offline
Great Friend

Quote:
Originally posted by Deborah:

I have read that dreams are the suconscience mind trying to reconcile the sensory overload we experience in our hours of alertness. However some dreams I believe are teaching dreams.
Partly, only partly right, this is my conclusion: Our 'subconcious mind' is the part of the mind which we do not access or leave to store unwanted, unnecessary information, trumatic stuff we didn't work through or could't ope with - whatever very complex isuue - many may disagree here - but that is an entire different topic.

The story with the Coins is a quite interesting one! It's like Gandmothers Cookiejar - she did never mind I had some Cookies - if I did ask - if I didn't - she dealt with it like I robbed her - not that harsh of course - but this way I learned not to just take - but get permission first.

She let me make my 'own' and she told me, this way I never had to ask anybody - only if someone want's to try one of the Cookies I made.....!

Coming back to the topic - I think very stronlgy that our dreams can
a.) be a mirror, like you mentioned.
b.) tell us stories as in foresights
b.) supply us with glimpses in the past
c.) warning us of things to come (forsight)
d.) and of course helping our 'subconciousness to quietly, not to disturb our "day to day psyche", work out things - we refuse to be to intensely confronted with. We, our mind, "unconciously" pushes these things in our "subconciousness" to have it, work it out - and that will do it whilst the "rest of us" is asleep!

Wonderful selfprotecting mechanism!

- Patanjali -

#129667 - 06/18/06 04:24 AM Re: What are Dreams?
ladybird Offline
Long Time Friend

posted by Galacticus
Our 'subconcious mind' is the part of the mind which we do not access or leave to store unwanted, unnecessary information, trumatic stuff we didn't work through or could't ope with - whatever very complex isuue - many may disagree here - but that is an entire different topic.

Thats an interesting point..i've always found dreaming a facinating subject,i used to be one of those people who could control my dreams i'd always remember them and if they started to get nasty(nightmares)i trained myself to turn my back on whatever was scaring me and walk away..it always worked and i have no idea how i learnt to do it...But the last year or so has been really traumatic for me and i did'nt realise untill this thread was posted up that i've stopped dreaming... and that i've woken from a couple of heavy nightmares,so i think the sub consious mind and an overload just might be doing its thing on me...shame i really used to like the nights i could go anywhere (even if they were only dreams)

#129668 - 06/18/06 04:51 AM Re: What are Dreams?
Galacticus Offline
Great Friend

try meditation, sitting, breathing calmly and just watch your breath, not your thoughts, may help.

Or just long walks, while keeping your mind away from "the files" of the ever ongoing thinking, the inquisitive mind.

This will calm the mind from trying to dissolve the "stacked away" problems during the bodies resting hours - try and you will see.

Having a meditation, resting the mind, just before going to bed, will be even more efficient.

Ladybird wrote:
" i really used to like the nights i could go anywhere (even if they were only dreams)

Well, yeah...it's like the Butterflies Dream... does he dream to be a man or does a man dream to be a butterfly...?

If you have a lot of stress or had a traumatic expirience, the "subconciousness" may have (temporaryly) "closed the doors"... an act of selfprotection.

Poeple who meditate a lot, will rest dreamless even sleep will be requiered much less and won't be anymore that sort of unconciousness. Then even the "dreaming period" maychance into, waht some people consider 'astral-travel'* ...ooopss I thnk here we are shooting ' a bit too far out in to the 'unknown" and "unexplainable"....I wll not "lean tooo far out of this window.."

* is my guess this it this what you meant, with "could go anywhere"...

- Patanjali -

#129669 - 06/18/06 05:01 AM Re: What are Dreams?
ladybird Offline
Long Time Friend

Thanks Galacticus,
will give it a go ..btw re astral travel...you were right wink but like i said everything has come to a halt..life sometimes has to get in the way i suppose..but i will give the meditation and walking a go...i certainly live in the right place for walking..i do run but thats diffrent and i dont find it calms me down..just wears me out..LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Latest Posts
Meditate
by Lisa Shea
Today at 04:50 PM
Playing with cover ideas for my new series - an Ar
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 05:16 PM
Broodie girl?
by Annlewis
Yesterday at 04:59 PM
Mystery Story A Day
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 03:09 AM
FREE Parakeet Ebook
by Greenboy
10/20/14 05:16 AM
What kind of toys for smart parakeet?
by Kymber
10/19/14 03:00 PM
Nike Air Max 90 EM moins cher
by olivia112
10/17/14 11:34 PM
Nike Roshe Run Yeezy 2 online bestellen
by olivia112
10/17/14 11:30 PM
Need Honest Critique Of Website
by Argyll
10/15/14 05:17 PM
Total Freedom
by Argyll
10/15/14 05:13 PM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site