My violet female budgie
my cage
two blues
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Child Health Site
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#137586 - 03/01/07 04:52 PM To Be A Christian, You Must ...
PDM Offline

True Blue Soulmate

Loc: UK
To Be A Christian, You Must ... What?

What is it essential to believe, if you call yourself 'Christian'?

I'm making a list ~ what options would you choose?
Would you add some different ones?

Here are some related threads:

Topic: What is a Christian?
http://www.wineintro.com/forum/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=000279

Topic: Do all Christians believe that only Christianity leads to Salvation?
http://www.wineintro.com/forum/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=000767#000000

Topic: Different 'brands' of Christianity
http://www.wineintro.com/forum/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=000173;p=1

Topic: What's the difference?
http://www.wineintro.com/forum/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?

Topic: Which 'Christianity' is the right one? - Or is it another religion entirely? ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=000069#000000

Topic: How to Know Which Version to Believe
http://www.wineintro.com/forum/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=000058#000005

Topic: Which 'Christianity' is the right one? - Or is it another religion entirely?
http://www.wineintro.com/forum/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=000422#000000

Add To Be A Christian, You Must ... to Twitter Add To Be A Christian, You Must ... to Facebook Add To Be A Christian, You Must ... to MySpace Add To Be A Christian, You Must ... to Del.icio.us Digg To Be A Christian, You Must ... Add To Be A Christian, You Must ... to Yahoo My Web Add To Be A Christian, You Must ... to Google Bookmarks Add To Be A Christian, You Must ... to Stumbleupon Add To Be A Christian, You Must ... to Reddit
#137587 - 03/01/07 05:01 PM Re: To Be A Christian, You Must ...
PDM Offline

True Blue Soulmate

Loc: UK
To Be A Christian, you should /must believe:
(Sorry it's a long list!)

In the Christian ethic ~ Eg. 'Love One Another'.
In all of Jesus's teachings
That God is always right, even if the Bible says that he was responsible for things you disapprove of.
That God is always right, so the Bible must be wrong if it says that he was responsible for things you disapprove of.
God exists
God made the Universe and all life, including us
Man is made in the image of God.
God loves us
God should be praised
Jesus existed
Jesus was a good man
Jesus was a spiritual leader.
Jesus was a Jewish leader against the power of Rome
Jesus was supernatural
Jesus was God in human form
Jesus should be praised
Jesus could perform miracles
Jesus was Son of God
Jesus was born of a virgin
Jesus was crucified
Jesus rose on the third day
Jesus was seen alive after the crucifixion
Jesus was resurrected
Jesus lives today
There can be no 'dead body' of Jesus on earth, because he rose into heaven
Jesus died for the sins of the world
Jesus died for the sins of those who believe in him
Jesus died for the sins of those who have given their lives to him
Jesus saves Believers, who are likely to share heaven with him
People who are not committed to Jesus are likely to go to hell
Jesus did not have a wife or lover or children, because it isn't in the Bible
Jesus did not have a wife or lover or children, because he is/was divine and divinity indicates virginal
Jesus did not have any siblings because his mother was 'ever-virgin'
The Bible is the true word of God
The 'Old Testament' is the word of God & literally true
The New Testament is the word of God & literally true
The Bible contains the true word of, God but is not all literally true.
The Bible is a Christian 'guidebook'
The Bible should be read by Christians,
The 'Old Testament' should be read by Christians.
The New Testament should be read by Christians.
Heaven exists ~ for those who believe in and worship God
Heaven exists ~ for those saved by Jesus
Hell exists ~ for those not 'saved' by Jesus (not necessarily bad people)
Hell exists ~ for those not who do not believe in Jesus & so are not 'saved' (not necessarily bad people)
Hell exists ~ for those not who do believe in Jesus but reject him
Hell exists ~ for those not who do believe in God but reject God
Heaven exists ~ for good people (not necessarily Christians)
Hell exists ~ for evil people
Christians believe in one God and a Trinity at the same time
Christians should pray regularly
God answers prayers
God only answers prayers if you worship him
Only Christian prayers are answered
Only Christians can go to Heaven / Paradise
Christians should go to church regularly
Christians should take holy communion
Christians should put God above all else
Christians should love God more than they love their families
Christians should love Jesus more than they love their families
Christians should be willing to sacrifice everything for God
Eucharist bread and wine becomes the body & blood of Christ
Eucharist bread and wine symbolises the body & blood of Jesus Christ

Add Re: To Be A Christian, You Must ... to Twitter Add Re: To Be A Christian, You Must ... to Facebook Add Re: To Be A Christian, You Must ... to MySpace Add Re: To Be A Christian, You Must ... to Del.icio.us Digg Re: To Be A Christian, You Must ... Add Re: To Be A Christian, You Must ... to Yahoo My Web Add Re: To Be A Christian, You Must ... to Google Bookmarks Add Re: To Be A Christian, You Must ... to Stumbleupon Add Re: To Be A Christian, You Must ... to Reddit
#137588 - 03/01/07 08:52 PM Re: To Be A Christian, You Must ...
Believer Offline
Best Friend

Loc: FL
WOW! I'll shorten it considerably.
1. Believe that Jesus was God, and that He came to earth in human form.
2. Believe that Jesus died for your sins and that you can go to heaven, not because of anything you do, but because of what He has done.
3. Admit that you've sinned against God, and repent.

The rest comes as you study the scriptures, but these are the basics.

Add Re: To Be A Christian, You Must ... to Twitter Add Re: To Be A Christian, You Must ... to Facebook Add Re: To Be A Christian, You Must ... to MySpace Add Re: To Be A Christian, You Must ... to Del.icio.us Digg Re: To Be A Christian, You Must ... Add Re: To Be A Christian, You Must ... to Yahoo My Web Add Re: To Be A Christian, You Must ... to Google Bookmarks Add Re: To Be A Christian, You Must ... to Stumbleupon Add Re: To Be A Christian, You Must ... to Reddit
#137589 - 03/01/07 09:47 PM Re: To Be A Christian, You Must ...
victor Offline
Best Friend

OK - I'm going to ask the ignorant naive question that always bugs me -

If Jesus was God, then he knew that he would die, and he knew that he would be resurrected, and he knew that he would go back to being God again. So what was the big deal in that?

#137590 - 03/01/07 10:05 PM Re: To Be A Christian, You Must ...
MrsJF Offline
Long Time Friend

Loc: Pennsylvania
victor wrote:
Quote:
If Jesus was God, then he knew that he would die, and he knew that he would be resurrected, and he knew that he would go back to being God again. So what was the big deal in that?
B/C it wasn't about Him. It was about His relationship w/us.

#137591 - 03/01/07 10:53 PM Re: To Be A Christian, You Must ...
Aerial Offline
Best Friend

Wasn't Jesus the SON of God?

#137592 - 03/01/07 11:51 PM Re: To Be A Christian, You Must ...
Joe Bloggs Offline
Best Friend

Loc: England
God, Son of God, the Holy Spirit. One and the same being, according to Christians. But at the same time each is distinct. So it's like polytheistic monotheism :p

Apparently, when Christianity was first introduced to modern-day Zimbabwe, the Matabele tribe misunderstood the concept slightly. They thought that the Christians worshipped a three-headed god.

#137593 - 03/02/07 12:53 AM Re: To Be A Christian, You Must ...
victor Offline
Best Friend

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsJF:

Well I thought the whole big thing was that you have to accept that Jesus died for our sins. Isn't that Christianity? But what's the big deal about dieing if you know you will just float up and be God again. Doesn't sound like a big sacrifice to me.

#137594 - 03/02/07 01:57 AM Re: To Be A Christian, You Must ...
mbas400 Offline
Tin Star Soulmate

Loc: Texas, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by victor:
Quote:
[b]

Well I thought the whole big thing was that you have to accept that Jesus died for our sins. Isn't that Christianity? But what's the big deal about dieing if you know you will just float up and be God again. Doesn't sound like a big sacrifice to me. [/b]
And Christians don't believe that he really died. He was temporarily dead for three days, but is still living today.

of course no one has seen or heard from him in the past 2000 years or so, expect for Believer's mom who hears from him often.

#137595 - 03/02/07 10:41 AM Re: To Be A Christian, You Must ...
SophieNeveu Offline
Good Friend

Loc: Ireland
Quote:
Originally posted by mbas400:
Quote:
Originally posted by victor:
[b]
Quote:
[b]

Well I thought the whole big thing was that you have to accept that Jesus died for our sins. Isn't that Christianity? But what's the big deal about dieing if you know you will just float up and be God again. Doesn't sound like a big sacrifice to me. [/b]
And Christians don't believe that he really died. He was temporarily dead for three days, but is still living today.

of course no one has seen or heard from him in the past 2000 years or so, expect for Believer's mom who hears from him often. [/b]
Mbass do you have to be so critical all the time? We know don't believe these things but could you at least try to respect those of us that do?

I don't want an argument I just wish you would be a little more open-minded as you always say we should be.

"Adorned in Masters loving art she lies
She rests at last beneath the starry skies"

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Latest Posts
$9M in stolen art
by Lisa Shea
Today at 05:40 PM
If you were God
by somsuj
Today at 08:17 AM
Native American Novella
by Lisa Shea
Today at 08:07 AM
Meditate
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 09:58 PM
Classic Art - Redone
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 08:00 PM
Call off Christmas!
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 04:17 PM
Christmas Paintings
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 04:06 PM
National Geographic Photo Contest
by Lisa Shea
12/18/14 09:13 PM
updates and LOTS of questions need help!??
by Lisa Shea
12/18/14 07:00 PM
Into the Wasteland
by Lisa Shea
12/18/14 06:54 PM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site