The Child Health Site
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1875 - 12/12/04 12:09 AM Bath Time
Kacey_Bugsy_777 Offline
Soulmate

Loc: Arizona
I just gave Kacey her first bath!!! laugh

First I thoroughly scrubbed the bathrom counter and sink.

Then I put a square tupperwere container in the bathroom sink, and filled it with luke warm water.

Then I filled a squrit-bottle (on mist) with lukewarm water as well.

Then next to the sink I spread a towel. And the hair-dryer there as well.

I left the water running at a trickle.

Then I put Kacey in the sink and let her do her thing. I did spray her with a mist from the bottle just to help her along. And because it is like rain.

Then once I thought she was clean enough, I took her out of the sink, put her on the towel, and turned the hair-dryer on low and blew it on her from a fair distance.I did pet her with the towel just to get her a little dryer.

Did I do everything right??

Add Bath Time to Twitter Add Bath Time to Facebook Add Bath Time to MySpace Add Bath Time to Del.icio.us Digg Bath Time Add Bath Time to Yahoo My Web Add Bath Time to Google Bookmarks Add Bath Time to Stumbleupon Add Bath Time to Reddit
#1876 - 12/12/04 01:04 AM Re: Bath Time
getlow316 Offline
Long Time Friend

Loc: Toledo, Ohio
Lisa may correct me but I would skip the towel patting and the blow drier. I would just make sure the room is warm and let the keet do his own thing. I had a store bought bird bath before that hooked on the cage door and he would just go in and do his thing. I also had a shallow bowl with water once and that bird would go in there and do the same. I think they do a pretty good job of shaking theirselves dry without help. Right now with Petey since he is not trained yet I just put some warm water in a spray bottle and mist him good right in his cage, he seems to enjoy that!

Add Re: Bath Time to Twitter Add Re: Bath Time to Facebook Add Re: Bath Time to MySpace Add Re: Bath Time to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Bath Time Add Re: Bath Time to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Bath Time to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Bath Time to Stumbleupon Add Re: Bath Time to Reddit
#1877 - 12/12/04 01:17 AM Re: Bath Time
Kacey_Bugsy_777 Offline
Soulmate

Well, the towel patting probably isn't needed, but she really seems to enjoy the hairdryer alot! smile But now she is nice and dry and clean! laugh

Add Re: Bath Time to Twitter Add Re: Bath Time to Facebook Add Re: Bath Time to MySpace Add Re: Bath Time to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Bath Time Add Re: Bath Time to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Bath Time to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Bath Time to Stumbleupon Add Re: Bath Time to Reddit
#1878 - 12/12/04 01:19 AM Re: Bath Time
getlow316 Offline
Long Time Friend

It sounds like you really love your keet and the story you told is so cute! wink

#1879 - 12/12/04 01:24 AM Re: Bath Time
Alyssa Offline
Soulmate

I'm still scared to take my bird out like that. Shes still a little crazy =x I think she would try to fly away and end up falling on the floor and me freaking out. I tried misting her, but she doesnt really like it yet. :p

#1880 - 12/12/04 02:07 AM Re: Bath Time
Kacey_Bugsy_777 Offline
Soulmate

I think her first bath went pretty well. She bit me a coupl of times though frown But in the end she got clean. smile

#1881 - 12/12/04 02:38 AM Re: Bath Time
getlow316 Offline
Long Time Friend

Quote:
Originally posted by Kacey_Keet_777:
I think her first bath went pretty well. She bit me a coupl of times though frown But in the end she got clean. smile
I stand corrected Chelsea! I was just reading another thread from Lisa about letting your bird in the shower and she says she used a blowdrier too! She said she used the low setting and kept it at a distance and the bird loved it. I just wondered about the draft thing. Sounds like you did good! Go to the next part of the forum where the pictures are and you can read it. -Scott

#1882 - 12/12/04 03:59 PM Re: Bath Time
Pebbles_lil_cutie Offline
Long Time Friend

Thats great you got her to take the bath! Did she enjoy the actual bath part?

-Emily Dickinson

#1883 - 12/12/04 04:25 PM Re: Bath Time
Kacey_Bugsy_777 Offline
Soulmate

I think she found it very frightening at first. But once I started to spray her withthe bottle she calmed down. smile

#1884 - 12/13/04 10:36 AM Re: Bath Time
Lisa Shea Offline

Platinum Star Soulmate

Loc: US
Yup I think a hair dryer is in fact sort of important if you're doing it in the winter.

The thing with breezes is that they disrupt the bird's natural "coccoon" of air around them. So if your bird is fluffed up and trying to build a layer of warm air trapped in their feathers, a breeze blows away that warm air and leaves them cold.

But when the bird is wet, the water is evaporating from their feathers and skin and making them cold - just like when you get goose bumps when you come out of a pool and the air is cold. So that evaporation isn't good. You are trying to help the bird dry off without the evaporation stealing their body warmth, and a gentle warm blow drier does that - gets rid of the water while keeping the bird warm.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Latest Posts
Fake It Until You Make It
by stacie01872
0 seconds ago
Getting a cockatiel for christmas...
by stacie01872
6 minutes 14 seconds ago
Cages for parakeet
by stacie01872
9 minutes 27 seconds ago
cockatiel sings if you're happy and you know it
by stacie01872
58 minutes 17 seconds ago
blood on the underside of the wings
by stacie01872
Today at 07:09 AM
to clip the wings or not clip the wings?
by stacie01872
Today at 07:02 AM
Meditate
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 09:51 PM
Cyanotype
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 07:05 PM
Yoga
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 02:09 PM
Creative Art
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 01:24 PM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site