My violet female budgie
my cage
two blues
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Child Health Site
Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#189557 - 06/08/07 01:24 AM Re: does anyone know any good books [Re: Si, Sam, and Me]
sue! Offline
Great Friend

Loc: ny
i just reread one of my favorites books: memoirs of a geisha. i highly recommend it; it's a beautiful story.

i also had to read the poisonwood bible for school. it was ridiculously good. the beginning was somewhat slow, but i still loved it.

Add Re: does anyone know any good books to Twitter Add Re: does anyone know any good books to Facebook Add Re: does anyone know any good books to MySpace Add Re: does anyone know any good books to Del.icio.us Digg Re: does anyone know any good books Add Re: does anyone know any good books to Yahoo My Web Add Re: does anyone know any good books to Google Bookmarks Add Re: does anyone know any good books to Stumbleupon Add Re: does anyone know any good books to Reddit
#189559 - 06/08/07 01:27 AM Re: does anyone know any good books [Re: PDM]
Si, Sam, and Me Offline
Regular

Loc: Arkansas
Originally Posted By: PDM
I've read 'Animal Farm' ~ great book.

Is animal farm were the animals still the farm away from the abusive farmers and the pigs take over. I think I may have red it before.

(I used to be The Hippie & Si)

Add Re: does anyone know any good books to Twitter Add Re: does anyone know any good books to Facebook Add Re: does anyone know any good books to MySpace Add Re: does anyone know any good books to Del.icio.us Digg Re: does anyone know any good books Add Re: does anyone know any good books to Yahoo My Web Add Re: does anyone know any good books to Google Bookmarks Add Re: does anyone know any good books to Stumbleupon Add Re: does anyone know any good books to Reddit
#189561 - 06/08/07 01:30 AM Re: does anyone know any good books [Re: Si, Sam, and Me]
PDM Offline

True Blue Soulmate

Loc: UK
Yes, it's a satirical story, reflecting the events of the Russian Revolution.

#189567 - 06/08/07 01:42 AM Re: does anyone know any good books [Re: PDM]
PDM Offline

True Blue Soulmate

Loved 'Turnabout' by Jason Thorne Smith ~ hilarious!
'Turnabout (1931) Thorne Smith pits two thoroughly modern married people in a classic battle of the sexes. ... an ancient Egyptian idol decides to play a trick on the two by causing them to switch bodies. After the wife impregnates her husband, ... they separately try to deal with the object of the former wife's affections .. The scene in which Tim, trapped in his wife's body, exacts an icy revenge on the unfortunate interloper is one of the unforgettable moments of Thorne Smith's peculiar humor.'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorne_Smith

Also:
'Erewhon' by Samuel Butler
'Erewhon', or Over the Range ...published anonymously in 1872. ... it is not revealed in which part of the world Erewhon is, but it is clear that it is a fictional country. Butler meant the title to be read as the word Nowhere backwards, even though the letters "h" and "w" are transposed. ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erewhon

'Utopia' ~ Thomas More
'Utopia (from Greek: &#959;&#8016; no, and &#964;&#972;&#960;&#959;&#962;, place, i.e. "no place" or "place that does not exist") is an imaginary island, depicted by Sir Thomas More as a perfect social, legal, and political system. It may be used pejoratively, to refer to a society that is unrealistic and impossible to realize. It has also been used to describe actual communities founded in attempts to create an ideal society.'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utopia

There was another book about an imaginary land that I read ~ can't remember it now. It wasn't Lilliput, I don't think.

Enjoyed 'Prester John' ~ John Buchan
'in 1910 British novelist and politician John Buchan used the legend in his sixth book, Prester John, to supplement a plot about a Zulu uprising in South Africa. The book was popular, and exists as an excellent example of the early 20th century adventure novel. Perhaps due to Buchan's work, Prester John appeared in pulp fiction and comics throughout the century'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prester_John

#189571 - 06/08/07 01:47 AM Re: does anyone know any good books [Re: PDM]
SpookyMark Offline
Best Friend

Loc: new zealand
"Chickenhawk" - That cat had some serious xxxxxxx!

The entire "Shogun" series. (TaiPan, GaiJin, King Rat, Shogun, Whirlwind, Noble House - in no particular order)

Len Deightons 9 part cold war spy series "Hook", "Line" and "Sinker" and the second trilogy "Game" "Set" and "Match" ending with "Faith" "Hope" and "Charity" Also known as the "Bernard Sampson series"

as Tequila referred to earlier - "Book of five Rings" and "the Art of War" are also on my bookcase, well, if the people that borrowed them ever bring them back they will be again!

Dean Koontz with what I think was called "Tick Tock". The dogs narrative was truely unique and rather humourous.

Stephen Kings best (novel/novella, NOT movie)in my opinion is a toss up between "The Langoliers" and 'The Dark Half"

"Without Remorse" tops Tom Clancys writings IMO.

Edited by PDM (06/08/07 08:56 AM)

#196447 - 07/03/07 04:48 PM Re: does anyone know any good books [Re: SpookyMark]
Birdie Menagerie Offline
Soulmate

Loc: Georgia
I just finished the trilogy by Maureen Lee. They are Lights Out Liverpool, Put Out The Fires, and Through The Storm. I thought that they were absolutely great. The stories take place during World War II in Liverpool, Bootle to be exact. It's about the lives of the people who live on the same street.

1EleanorRigby

#196500 - 07/03/07 08:44 PM Re: does anyone know any good books [Re: Birdie Menagerie]
PDM Offline

True Blue Soulmate

Originally Posted By: Birdie Menagerie
I just finished the trilogy by Maureen Lee. They are Lights Out Liverpool, Put Out The Fires, and Through The Storm. I thought that they were absolutely great. The stories take place during World War II in Liverpool, Bootle to be exact. It's about the lives of the people who live on the same street.

If you like those, I think you might like Helen Forrester's autobiographical books about Liverpool. (I may have mentioned them before.) They are brilliant.

#196604 - 07/04/07 01:31 AM Re: does anyone know any good books [Re: Si, Sam, and Me]
Tequila Offline
Companion

Loc: Virginia
"Striking Thoughts" deal with all of the late Bruce Lee's famous philosophical quotes, for those for those who don't know.

#196606 - 07/04/07 01:34 AM Re: does anyone know any good books [Re: Tequila]
Tequila Offline
Companion

Loc: Virginia
My Most Recent Book:
Gods, Guns, and Rock & Roll (Ted Nugent)

*Since I'm not into hunting, I got kind of lost on that chapter.

Edited by Tequila (07/04/07 01:35 AM)

#196607 - 07/04/07 01:34 AM Re: does anyone know any good books [Re: Tequila]
nemo & kesha Offline
Good Friend

Loc: usa, new york city
harry potter and the deathly hollows

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Latest Posts
Haiku of the Great Blue Hill
by Lisa Shea
Today at 01:54 AM
If you were God
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 11:52 PM
Native American Novella
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 11:51 PM
Meditate
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 09:47 PM
Winter Solstice Issue of Mused Literary Review
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 08:26 PM
$9M in stolen art
by Lisa Shea
12/20/14 05:40 PM
Classic Art - Redone
by Lisa Shea
12/19/14 08:00 PM
Call off Christmas!
by Lisa Shea
12/19/14 04:17 PM
Christmas Paintings
by Lisa Shea
12/19/14 04:06 PM
National Geographic Photo Contest
by Lisa Shea
12/18/14 09:13 PM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site