Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Child Health Site
Topic Options
#2026 - 12/13/04 04:05 AM Out!
Bongo&Bailey Offline
Regular

Loc: Los Angeles
I haven't been successful hand-training my birds it's only been a week) but do you recommend me taking them out of their cage (just leaving the cage open and letting them out freely) to stretch their wings a bit and explore the house or not yet?

Add Out! to Twitter Add Out! to Facebook Add Out! to MySpace Add Out! to Del.icio.us Digg Out! Add Out! to Yahoo My Web Add Out! to Google Bookmarks Add Out! to Stumbleupon Add Out! to Reddit
#2027 - 12/13/04 04:53 AM Re: Out!
Lisa Shea Online   content

Gold Star Soulmate

Loc: US
NO NO NO do not let your keets out of the cage without being hand trained. If there was an emergency you could not get them to safety.

I give full instructions on hand training here -

http://www.lisashea.com/petinfo/articles/bird_hand.html

follow it daily and be patient. Your keets will come out soon enough, when it is time.

Add Re: Out! to Twitter Add Re: Out! to Facebook Add Re: Out! to MySpace Add Re: Out! to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Out! Add Re: Out! to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Out! to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Out! to Stumbleupon Add Re: Out! to Reddit
#2028 - 12/13/04 04:17 PM Re: Out!
getlow316 Offline
Long Time Friend

Loc: Toledo, Ohio
As Lisa said, hand train them first. I have finger trained many birds but Lisa's instructions are the best I have seen and I like the process it describes. I did mine a little different but her way seems the least traumatic for the bird. Years ago I had one escape and boy was it hard to get him back in the cage! He finally got tuckered out and I was able to pick him up (did not know what else to do) and he bit me but good! eek

Add Re: Out! to Twitter Add Re: Out! to Facebook Add Re: Out! to MySpace Add Re: Out! to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Out! Add Re: Out! to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Out! to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Out! to Stumbleupon Add Re: Out! to Reddit
#2029 - 12/13/04 09:27 PM Re: Out!
Bongo&Bailey Offline
Regular

Loc: Los Angeles
Thanks Lisa and getlow! I was on the verge of letting them out since every time I open the door (which is very seldom), they chip like mad. Don't spoil 'em, eh?

#2030 - 12/14/04 12:37 AM Re: Out!
Lisa Shea Online   content

Gold Star Soulmate

Loc: US
Just keep working on the hand training, it should only be a few weeks before they're ready smile

Keets can really hurt themselves if they are loose and in a panic and afraid, so it's really best to wait until they are calm and tame.

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Latest Posts
Broken Images
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 06:54 PM
Sick Baby- Please Help
by Pretty Peaches
Yesterday at 04:48 PM
Female parakeet nesting?
by 1950
Yesterday at 12:58 PM
Mystery Story A Day
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 11:05 AM
How can I tame a pair of budgies?
by Mel51989
Yesterday at 10:04 AM
Time Management Course
by Sony Raycom
Yesterday at 06:28 AM
Meditate
by Lisa Shea
09/30/14 05:17 PM
BellaOnline Ebook Award
by Lisa Shea
09/29/14 07:09 PM
Into the Wasteland
by Lisa Shea
09/29/14 07:06 PM
questions about Tweety......
by Ashley Horan
09/28/14 04:09 PM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site