Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Child Health Site
Topic Options
#292016 - 05/15/08 03:56 PM For fans of anime and japanese culture
masseur ichi Offline
Long Time Friend

Loc: USA
Here's a tv serial based on the Miyamoto Musashi story, which some describe as Japan's Gone with the Wind. It's a wonderful story about the spiritual growth of one of Japan's greatest samurai. Although not the best version, it will serve as a good introduction to the story. There are over 50 episodes with each episode running about 50 minutes. (You can watch the episodes on this link.)

http://www.crunchyroll.com/showseriesmedia?id=2756

Edited by masseur_ichi (05/15/08 04:44 PM)

Add For fans of anime and japanese culture to Twitter Add For fans of anime and japanese culture to Facebook Add For fans of anime and japanese culture to MySpace Add For fans of anime and japanese culture to Del.icio.us Digg For fans of anime and japanese culture Add For fans of anime and japanese culture to Yahoo My Web Add For fans of anime and japanese culture to Google Bookmarks Add For fans of anime and japanese culture to Stumbleupon Add For fans of anime and japanese culture to Reddit
#313631 - 07/26/08 05:27 PM Re: For fans of anime and japanese culture [Re: masseur ichi]
Lady78 Offline
Good Friend

Loc: TX
masseur u seem fascinated with the Asian cultures. I think that is wonderful.

Add Re: For fans of anime and japanese culture to Twitter Add Re: For fans of anime and japanese culture to Facebook Add Re: For fans of anime and japanese culture to MySpace Add Re: For fans of anime and japanese culture to Del.icio.us Digg Re: For fans of anime and japanese culture Add Re: For fans of anime and japanese culture to Yahoo My Web Add Re: For fans of anime and japanese culture to Google Bookmarks Add Re: For fans of anime and japanese culture to Stumbleupon Add Re: For fans of anime and japanese culture to Reddit
#314819 - 07/29/08 12:40 PM Re: For fans of anime and japanese culture [Re: Lady78]
masseur ichi Offline
Long Time Friend

Thank you. I hope this story is something I can turn people onto. Since anime is so popular, I thought we can channel that interest into other Japanese stories.

Add Re: For fans of anime and japanese culture to Twitter Add Re: For fans of anime and japanese culture to Facebook Add Re: For fans of anime and japanese culture to MySpace Add Re: For fans of anime and japanese culture to Del.icio.us Digg Re: For fans of anime and japanese culture Add Re: For fans of anime and japanese culture to Yahoo My Web Add Re: For fans of anime and japanese culture to Google Bookmarks Add Re: For fans of anime and japanese culture to Stumbleupon Add Re: For fans of anime and japanese culture to Reddit
#316309 - 08/02/08 05:47 AM Re: For fans of anime and japanese culture [Re: masseur ichi]
Lady78 Offline
Good Friend

Loc: TX
I will try to watch it. Does it have martial arts? My cousin loves Asian movies that have martial arts. Maybe I could recommend this movie to him.

#316499 - 08/03/08 08:58 AM Re: For fans of anime and japanese culture [Re: Lady78]
masseur ichi Offline
Long Time Friend

Originally Posted By: Lady78
Does it have martial arts?

A little as it is about Japan's most famous swordsman. However, because it was a weekly serial, the fight choreography is pretty weak. (They also don't make samurai movies any more so they kind of forgot how to make them.) Also, you will find that japanese sword fights are won very quickly whereas chinese sword fights feature alot of acrobatics (dancing?) and take along time to determine a winner.

The story is very buddhist. What I mean by that is that the protagonist achieves enlightenment by devoting his life to perfecting his craft. The Musashi character's pursuit to become a great samurai changes him from a badass, out-of-control teenager to a man who as he pursues his goal of being a great samurai becomes more compassionate, ultimately losing interest in the martial arts and developing (very unmanly) interests in farming, painting, and poetry. So much for Japan's foremost action hero!

Edited by masseur ichi (08/03/08 08:59 AM)

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Latest Posts
Aspen Allegations
by Lisa Shea
Meditate
by Lisa Shea
05:02 PM
Tadpoles
by Lisa Shea
04:26 PM
Yoga
by Lisa Shea
01:47 PM
How do I train 2 Parakeets
by Kymber
10:06 AM
budgie bonding again
by Kymber
10:00 AM
ASICS Tennis Shoes Review - Wonderful and Durable
by kenneth
05:15 PM
New Sci-Fi Novel
by Lisa Shea
07:40 AM
Reddit
by Lisa Shea
07/26/14 12:10 PM
Miserable and Guilt Ridden
by Carol82
07/26/14 10:50 AM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site