My violet female budgie
my cage
two blues
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Child Health Site
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#325711 - 09/09/08 03:43 PM Drug Abuse and 'Sin'.
PDM Offline

True Blue Soulmate

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: LordsLady
... although I personally do not separate abortion, homosexuality or drug abuse in respect to what is or isn't a sin, the majority of believers will site those three lifestyles as sinful. ...
Blessings,

Emilie

Add Drug Abuse and 'Sin'. to Twitter Add Drug Abuse and 'Sin'. to Facebook Add Drug Abuse and 'Sin'. to MySpace Add Drug Abuse and 'Sin'. to Del.icio.us Digg Drug Abuse and 'Sin'. Add Drug Abuse and 'Sin'. to Yahoo My Web Add Drug Abuse and 'Sin'. to Google Bookmarks Add Drug Abuse and 'Sin'. to Stumbleupon Add Drug Abuse and 'Sin'. to Reddit
#325713 - 09/09/08 03:45 PM Re: Drug Abuse and 'Sin'. [Re: PDM]
PDM Offline

True Blue Soulmate

Originally Posted By: janimal
... drugs are a recreational phenomenon which can become a symptom of social breakdown, and make vast amounts of money for lots of very powerful people, the us administration being among them .....

http://www.wineintro.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=325712#Post325712

Add Re: Drug Abuse and 'Sin'. to Twitter Add Re: Drug Abuse and 'Sin'. to Facebook Add Re: Drug Abuse and 'Sin'. to MySpace Add Re: Drug Abuse and 'Sin'. to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Drug Abuse and 'Sin'. Add Re: Drug Abuse and 'Sin'. to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Drug Abuse and 'Sin'. to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Drug Abuse and 'Sin'. to Stumbleupon Add Re: Drug Abuse and 'Sin'. to Reddit
#327509 - 09/18/08 07:35 AM Re: Drug Abuse and 'Sin'. [Re: PDM]
SpookyMark Offline
Best Friend

Loc: new zealand
I maintain Ezekiel was either tripping or saw a helicopter (after much discussion with a learned amigo)

If hed eaten of the mushrooms, and its in the bible, then heck.... it cant be a sin.

Add Re: Drug Abuse and 'Sin'. to Twitter Add Re: Drug Abuse and 'Sin'. to Facebook Add Re: Drug Abuse and 'Sin'. to MySpace Add Re: Drug Abuse and 'Sin'. to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Drug Abuse and 'Sin'. Add Re: Drug Abuse and 'Sin'. to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Drug Abuse and 'Sin'. to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Drug Abuse and 'Sin'. to Stumbleupon Add Re: Drug Abuse and 'Sin'. to Reddit
#327513 - 09/18/08 08:34 AM Re: Drug Abuse and 'Sin'. [Re: SpookyMark]
Carl Offline
Silver Star Soulmate

Loc: Gator Country, Florida - USA
Regarding the first quote in the first post of this "separated" thread, I don't really regard any of the 3 mentioned - abortion, homosexuality, or drug abuse - as necessarily a lifestyle.

And while the majority of believers may decide something is sinful, that doesn't make it so - with apologies to one who says that "majority rules."

Abuse or over-emphasis on anything can be harmful. But if I eat chocolate everyday, is that sinful? And if I do, does that make vast amounts of money for the U. S. administration? [commenting on the 2nd quote/post]

As for the 3rd post, a lot of believers think use of tobacco a sin, also. IMO, that should be illegal rather than pot. And tobacco does far more harm. But sinful?

The argument is made that whatever harms the body (and the mind and spirit and soul?) is harming the "temple" of the Holy Spirit of God and therefore sinful.

So, not getting enough exercise would be harmful and thus sinful, right?

I think moderation is the key when one can choose. But we should keep in mind that some things called "lifestyle" by that majority of believers is really not a choice in the way that most people think.

#327523 - 09/18/08 08:56 AM Re: Drug Abuse and 'Sin'. [Re: Carl]
masseur ichi Offline
Long Time Friend

Loc: USA
While I believe that drug abuse is self destructive, I also believe that "getting stoned" is a natural impulse. The question is whether we allow that impulse to rule our lives. When it does, then we need to discourage it. However, I wonder if there is a Biblical basis for classifying it as a sin?

#327544 - 09/18/08 10:34 AM Re: Drug Abuse and 'Sin'. [Re: masseur ichi]
PDM Offline

True Blue Soulmate

I'm not sure that I'd call drug abuse a sin, but I do think that it is potentially very harmful ~ I suppose the word 'abuse' is important here, as well. There's 'use' and 'abuse'.

Many drugs are illegal ~ so maybe breaking the law is committing a sin???

Many drug-takers commit quite serious crimes, in order to obtain drugs ~ muggings must be sinful. But maybe if the drugs weren't illegal in the first plasce, then these crimes wouldn't occur.

Some drugs do more harm than others, and some harm some more than others.

Personally, I don't find it a 'natural impulse' to use drugs.
I don't smoke, or do drugs, & I never have. I rarely drink alcohol.

Once, in Greece, when jugs of wine were on the meal table, and it was hot, I did drink too much, because it tasted so weak and I was thirsty. I didn't like the way I felt after that.

In labour with my first child, I was given pethidine ~ related to some illegal drugs people take ~ and I hated the way that made me feel too.

If people choose to use drugs, alcohol, tobacco, etc, then that's their affair, but too often this 'lifestyle choice' can harm others: ~ deaths from drink / drug driving; death or damage as a result of drug and alcohol related crime; people losing their loved-ones to cancer, or liver disease, or drug overdose; etc. etc. etc.

#327545 - 09/18/08 10:35 AM Re: Drug Abuse and 'Sin'. [Re: Carl]
PDM Offline

True Blue Soulmate

Originally Posted By: Carl
I think moderation is the key ...

I think that moderation is almost always the key.

#327546 - 09/18/08 10:36 AM Re: Drug Abuse and 'Sin'. [Re: SpookyMark]
PDM Offline

True Blue Soulmate

Originally Posted By: SpookyMark
I maintain Ezekiel was either tripping or saw a helicopter ...
If hed eaten of the mushrooms, and its in the bible, then heck.... it cant be a sin.

Yes, we've discussed these mushrooms, etc, before, and it seems that a lot of religious experience is down to them.

#327553 - 09/18/08 10:53 AM Re: Drug Abuse and 'Sin'. [Re: PDM]
masseur ichi Offline
Long Time Friend

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: PDM

Once, in Greece, when jugs of wine were on the meal table, and it was hot, I did drink too much, because it tasted so weak and I was thirsty. I didn't like the way I felt after that.

It's not good to rehydrate with alcohol. If you're going to have alcohol, be sure you rehydrate with water or juice first.

#327607 - 09/18/08 03:14 PM Re: Drug Abuse and 'Sin'. [Re: masseur ichi]
PDM Offline

True Blue Soulmate

I learned my lesson ~ that was 28 years ago and it hasn't happened since.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Latest Posts
One star reviews
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 10:21 PM
Changing behavior
by Jacquie
Yesterday at 04:51 PM
New budgie owner...need help with adjusting please
by monty's_mom
Yesterday at 03:40 PM
Soldier of God movie
by Lisa Shea
09/21/14 08:57 PM
My baby girl Juji passed yesterday
by Jacquie
09/21/14 08:02 PM
In A Glance
by Lisa Shea
09/21/14 04:33 PM
Pen Names on Facebook
by Lisa Shea
09/21/14 10:57 AM
The King Maker
by Lisa Shea
09/19/14 10:40 PM
Meditate
by Lisa Shea
09/19/14 05:05 PM
Cedar Conundrums
by Lisa Shea
09/19/14 02:53 PM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site