Budgie Photos
My violet female budgie
my cage
two blues
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Child Health Site
Topic Options
#377928 - 07/31/09 04:11 PM Greyhound racing.
428pm Offline
Long Time Friend

Ok, I know that I post a lot of activist stuff...But as I am working, and I come across these things, I tend to post them, not just here, but in all the message boards I belong to, along with facebook, myspace, twitter etc etc.

I strongly believe knowledge is power, and the best way to implement change, is sharing knowledge.

Most people don't even know this stuff goes on. I think majority of humans are good, and if they knew what was involved in many things they thought to be innocent, they would be disgusted...

I just thought I'd explain why I post so many activist links, and such. I rly do want people to know of these things, and spread the word.

So here is my latest link:

Grey hound racing. Ew.

http://www.greytexploitations.com/how-yo...-for-greyhounds

Add Greyhound racing. to Twitter Add Greyhound racing. to Facebook Add Greyhound racing. to MySpace Add Greyhound racing. to Del.icio.us Digg Greyhound racing. Add Greyhound racing. to Yahoo My Web Add Greyhound racing. to Google Bookmarks Add Greyhound racing. to Stumbleupon Add Greyhound racing. to Reddit
#388499 - 11/06/09 10:48 PM Re: Greyhound racing. [Re: 428pm]
Lisa Shea Online   content

Platinum Star Soulmate

Loc: US
I wanted to chime in on this old post because it brings up something that's been under discussion a lot in my region. There are a lot of people who are fans of dog racing and think it's clean fun.

I agree that dog racing is not a sport that the animals "enjoy". It's not like these dogs generally lead happy, playful lives and every once in a while they're brought out to have a fun race with their friends.

I think that "fun race with friends" mentality is what many greyhound racing fans have, that the dogs love to run and are contented animals.

I am on the side of ending all dog racing, and finding loving homes for these dogs where they *can* run playfully, when they want to, and will be loved and cared for all the time.

Add Re: Greyhound racing. to Twitter Add Re: Greyhound racing. to Facebook Add Re: Greyhound racing. to MySpace Add Re: Greyhound racing. to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Greyhound racing. Add Re: Greyhound racing. to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Greyhound racing. to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Greyhound racing. to Stumbleupon Add Re: Greyhound racing. to Reddit
#388506 - 11/07/09 01:03 AM Re: Greyhound racing. [Re: Lisa Shea]
jilly Offline

Best Friend

Loc: Asheville, NC
I also want to make a distinction about dog racing, but only as regards to Huskies/Malamutes. Sled dogs LOVE to pull. I used to train 40 sled dogs in Minnesota during the summer, so they would be still fit for winter pulling. It was almost psychotic how much these dogs wanted to get harnessed up and get out there! smile

This is, of course, a totally different issue than greyhound racing. But an interesting counterpoint.

Edited by jilly (11/07/09 01:03 AM)
App owner - RunPee.com - to help you find the best movie breaks smile

Add Re: Greyhound racing. to Twitter Add Re: Greyhound racing. to Facebook Add Re: Greyhound racing. to MySpace Add Re: Greyhound racing. to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Greyhound racing. Add Re: Greyhound racing. to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Greyhound racing. to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Greyhound racing. to Stumbleupon Add Re: Greyhound racing. to Reddit
#388511 - 11/07/09 01:10 AM Re: Greyhound racing. [Re: jilly]

Platinum Star Soulmate

I suppose it would be similar to having a dog who loved to run, and taking him out to the park where he had great fun running with his friends. It's not the running part which is necessarily a bad thing. It's the surrounding environment where they are not otherwise part of a loving, supportive family.

#393914 - 01/23/10 06:35 PM Re: Greyhound racing. [Re: Lisa Shea]
Saved2 Offline

Loc: western ky.
We have 4 greys , all retired , they lived the life of riley at the track , were treated like Kings , if your dog made you 10.000 a year would you mis treat them , we went to the track and adopted them from there owners and they were kept spotless and fed the best of food , I'm sure you can find bad people in all aspects of life including bird breaders.

#394246 - 01/26/10 04:37 AM Re: Greyhound racing. [Re: Saved2]

Platinum Star Soulmate

Saved2 - thank you for your insight on this! I agree that the top dogs are treated well, just like the top racehorses are treated well. The concern is with the other 90% of the population, the ones which don't do well. The ones that are judged to be "unfit" and tossed out.

#402173 - 06/09/10 04:23 AM Re: Greyhound racing. [Re: Lisa Shea]
jilly Offline

Best Friend

There is a regional group here of greyhound rescuers, who take in the 'retired' dogs and find homes for them. Once thing that's neat about these retired dogs, is how much they love to lounge and sleep! I tell these dogs 'go for it.' They've worked hard enough. They are lovely dogs and make good pets.

#408314 - 01/15/11 11:54 AM Re: Greyhound racing. [Re: 428pm]

Platinum Star Soulmate

According to the Greyhound Racing Association site, these states still have greyhound racing -

Alabama | Arizona | Arkansas | Colorado | Connecticut | Florida | Iowa | Kansas | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | Oregon | Rhode Island | Texas | West Virginia | Wisconsin

However it was banned in Massachusetts in January 2010.

So I found a more up to date list -

http://www.grey2kusa.org/action/states.html

Apparently there are 8 states left with racing, mostly down south.

#412107 - 03/22/11 09:52 PM Re: Greyhound racing. [Re: 428pm]
jilly Offline

Best Friend

I would love to adopt a retired greyhound. But then again if i had my way, I'd probably have an entire zoo of animals. I want to save them all. I have to be really careful not to get in over my head.

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Latest Posts
blood on the underside of the wings
by Lisa Shea
34 minutes 24 seconds ago
Cages for parakeet
by Lisa Shea
36 minutes 20 seconds ago
Getting a cockatiel for christmas...
by Lisa Shea
37 minutes 57 seconds ago
Meditate
by Lisa Shea
40 minutes 4 seconds ago
cockatiel sings if you're happy and you know it
by Lisa Shea
Today at 03:39 PM
Yoga
by Lisa Shea
Today at 03:35 PM
to clip the wings or not clip the wings?
by Lisa Shea
Today at 03:33 PM
Fake It Until You Make It
by Lisa Shea
Today at 03:31 PM
Happy Thanksgiving
by Lisa Shea
Today at 03:30 PM
Photos Recreating Paintings
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 02:46 PM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site