My violet female budgie
my cage
two blues
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Child Health Site
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#389284 - 11/14/09 01:00 PM Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? [Re: Paulina]
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

Loc: upstate NY
Putting plastic over windows helps keep the cold out too.3M makes a really cool clear plastic that you cut to fit window, has a special adhesive to adhere it around window frame, then you use a blw dryer around the edges and it's like a shrink wrap..tightens right up nice. Easy and works well.

I do think that sometimes puffed up=relaxed. I know that mine sometimes puff up and get comfy when they're getting ready to take a nap. But like Tweetymom said-puffing up alot can be a sign of illness.

Add Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? to Twitter Add Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? to Facebook Add Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? to MySpace Add Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? Add Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? to Stumbleupon Add Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? to Reddit
#389318 - 11/15/09 02:11 PM Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? [Re: kksuns]
cyberbud Offline
Best Friend

Loc: Naperville, Illinois
The 3m window insulation is a great suggestion! One other thought. Where is your room located? In our house the rooms are on the second floor and face out to the living room. In the winter if the bedroom doors are kept closed the rooms are significantly cooler because hot air rises and is kept out of the bedroom by the closed door.

Add Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? to Twitter Add Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? to Facebook Add Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? to MySpace Add Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? Add Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? to Stumbleupon Add Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? to Reddit
#389332 - 11/15/09 06:58 PM Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? [Re: cyberbud]
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

Loc: Massachusetts
If your house has large rooms and the room the bird is in is large a VERY small fan indirectly set up so not blowing on bird and just enuf to MOVE AIR can aid it keeping temps even not cold low and hot high. Nor breeze onto your bird..i keep a very small fan going in a couple of large rooms just for that purpose so some rooms are not freezers while some rooms become ovens.

#389336 - 11/15/09 07:33 PM Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? [Re: illusive Fantasy]
cyberbud Offline
Best Friend

Loc: Naperville, Illinois
A good idea! Thanks!

#389378 - 11/16/09 01:01 AM Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? [Re: cyberbud]
Lisa Shea Online   content

Gold Star Soulmate

Loc: US
I agree with the others, making the house weathertight is really good not only for the keet but for all of you guys in terms of health and money. The less heat you waste, the less money you waste, which you can spend on other things!

I have lived in many "sub optimal" homes and apartments over the year. Getting plastic to seal all the windows is a *great* first step. Go window to window and you'll be amazed how much warmer the whole house is when the air isn't coming in through them. Next, get those sock-things and stuff them under all doors and anywhere else that there are cracks.

You know, this can be a whole article on the website, I'll go start doing that, and start a separate thread on keeping your house as warm as possible. Thanks so much for bringing this up!

#389380 - 11/16/09 01:06 AM Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? [Re: Lisa Shea]
Jessica Cole Offline
Great Friend

Loc: United States
I don't think there is anything wrong with Jazz. He doesn't do it a lot, but thanks for the warning. He fluffs before napping! :] He is a very fluffiful keet! :]

#389392 - 11/16/09 11:11 AM Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? [Re: Jessica Cole]
Paulina Offline
Companion

The plastic around the window is a great idea laugh I will definetly try that. I keep Jades cage on my desk. It's very big and in the corner where her cage stands, no cold air from the door or from the window can reach her but once it's cold in my room she gets all puffed up and I can tell she is cold. If she is puffed up alot beause she is trying to keep her self warm, do you think means she is sick?
Also, Thanks for the great ideas/advice guys!

#418026 - 09/17/11 02:08 AM Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? [Re: Paulina]
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

bumped this becuz its getting that time again for most of us for sure...

i start off with slightly lowering the temps in the house thru the fall so when it becomes winter cappy is adjusted already to the coolness of a house temp tween 66-68 which for me means our furnance kicks in when it reaches 64 and shuts off at 70...so thats the range you all need to go by is the actual kick on and kick off time your heat comes on and goes off...

but start to adjust them to cooler temps in the fall and gawd right now its like early winter temps out there instead of fall with frost threat tonight in areas ...right now outside its 46 here...

im fortunate as this is a new house so it has newer windows which GREATLY reduce drafts and keep heat in...but i still run small fans also to keep the air in the house evenly distributed...ive never had to use a heating pad but that wont help if electricity goes out...so i do have a water bottle and at least for a short time that would help...

some of those hunters heating strike packs to keep them warm is good to have and place in the bottom of a cage with a light weight dish towel over it/them ...if you use more than one ...

its a good idea to start planning now on all of this and make sure your heating source is cleaned as well as all vents and filters ahead of time...tis the season now...

seal your windows NOW with that plastic which works really well if you dont have thermo insulated windows...

may we all stay warm and comfy this winter

this is NOT about birds but cats and dogs this section

warning road salt and salt bought for home walkways are deadly poisonous to these animals when they end up licking their paws after walking thru it to dry them...and any sand salt mix from towns has it in it also...best resolution to this is kitty litter or ashes from wood stoves or coal stoves but it tracks up house gawd awful so be sure folks really wipe their feet EXTRA hard to remove that stuff so it doesnt track thru the house

Edited by illusive Fantasy (09/17/11 02:13 AM)

#418039 - 09/17/11 02:12 PM Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? [Re: Paulina]
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

Loc: upstate NY
Good thinking bumping this thread smile

I would normally start by gradually lowering temp for them to get used to too but darned if the cold didn't just jump right out at us this year. We have had temps in the 30's the past 2 nights. I got up yesterday to an indoor temp of 61 degrees. brr chilly for birds.
I got out our electric heater(CERAMIC) to warm up the room they are in. Much to early IMO to start the furnace. Not only is the cost of fuel oil ridiculous, but we haven't had a chance to check filters and clean vents and all those usual things you do before starting furnace for the first time in the fall..
The electric heater we have has a thermostat control that I set on 65 at night. No point heating the whole house yet as we humans can grab another blanket or throw on a sweatshirt if need be.

Excellent reminder about the road salt illusive. It really is bad for our dogs n cats.
I get a pet safe salt to use wherever our dog has access to. But I have been known to use kitty litter too. wink

#418047 - 09/17/11 04:45 PM Re: What temperature is too cold for a parakeet? [Re: Paulina]
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

even at 61 in the house kk that temp would of ***gradually dropped during the nite and then during the day with all the cooking and baking you do ...i just bet your house always smells yummy ...it would again gradually warm up also...

this weather is too soon for us here ...hope its not a prelude to what we can expect this winter for temps...geeeeeeeeeesh

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Latest Posts
Perfect FREE Summer reading!
by Lisa Shea
07/26/14 02:21 AM
Low Carb Cocktails
by Lisa Shea
07/26/14 01:35 AM
Tadpoles
by Lisa Shea
07/25/14 07:22 PM
Meditate
by Lisa Shea
07/25/14 05:04 PM
How do I train 2 Parakeets
by voodoo80
07/25/14 11:19 AM
New budgies; leaving on vacation next week!
by AnnieG
07/25/14 10:37 AM
birds seem to be bonding with outdoor finches
by AnnieG
07/24/14 04:35 PM
Low Carb Books
by Lisa Shea
07/24/14 02:36 AM
Seeking Reviews
by Lisa Shea
07/23/14 05:44 PM
Yoga
by Lisa Shea
07/21/14 01:29 PM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site