Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Child Health Site
Topic Options
#398064 - 03/30/10 06:56 AM Angel
Kelly Kai Offline
Regular

Loc: Minnesota
Angel was 6 years old when she died yesterday.

We were gone for the weekend, which my flock handles fine, and she must have become egg-bound. A few hours after we came home I walked by and she was hanging upside down like normal except I could see the egg in her prolapsed cloaca. I tried gently massaging the sphincter with olive oil but I knew it was not going to help. She was acting normal except breathing heavy and waddling around to avoid knocking her wound on the perches. She was preening Yoshi, too, and singing.

We took her to the nearest emergency avian vet (an hour away). After a half hour they confirmed what I had feared: Angel was going to die no matter what I chose to do. There were three options: 1) get the egg out and try reinserting the cloaca, which most likely would not stay in her body cavity once it got so stretched out; 2) surgically remove the cloaca and use purse-string stitches to make a new sphincter but it would most likely get infected if she survived the surgery (10% chance); 3) put her down.

It was sad but I decided to put her down, which was extremely hard. I feel so guilty since she trusted me and was looking to me to help her. I wish I could have held her while it happened.

I miss her a lot. She used to fly onto my shoulder and preen my face. She would sing softly and try to feed my 'beak' (my nose) some regurgitated seeds. She was the only one of my flock who was finger trained. Nick really misses her too. We'll be sad for a while, but Damien, Littlefoot, and Yoshi keep us smiling and carry on her memory.

Add Angel to Twitter Add Angel to Facebook Add Angel to MySpace Add Angel to Del.icio.us Digg Angel Add Angel to Yahoo My Web Add Angel to Google Bookmarks Add Angel to Stumbleupon Add Angel to Reddit
#398072 - 03/30/10 07:05 AM Re: Angel [Re: Kelly Kai]
jilly Offline

Best Friend

Loc: Asheville, NC
I am so sorry Kelly. She sounds like a wonderful loving and sweet creature. Let yourself feel the grief. It sounds like you made the right call, but I know it isn't easy. hugs, honey
App owner - RunPee.com - to help you find the best movie breaks smile

Add Re: Angel to Twitter Add Re: Angel to Facebook Add Re: Angel to MySpace Add Re: Angel to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Angel Add Re: Angel to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Angel to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Angel to Stumbleupon Add Re: Angel to Reddit
#398075 - 03/30/10 07:19 AM Re: Angel [Re: jilly]
tweetymom Offline
Best Friend

Loc: Austin, Texas
Oh gosh what a sad thing. I'm so sorry this happened.Bless your heart! So sorry for your loss

One of my birds will lay if I don't take steps to make it uncomfortable for her to think about laying. I worry she will become egg bound. Had she layed before? Poor baby.

RIP little Angel

RIP precious Merlin
7/11/1990-11/17/2009
RIP Tweetylove
5/13/2010
Rest with Merlin

Add Re: Angel to Twitter Add Re: Angel to Facebook Add Re: Angel to MySpace Add Re: Angel to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Angel Add Re: Angel to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Angel to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Angel to Stumbleupon Add Re: Angel to Reddit
#398259 - 04/01/10 11:49 AM Re: Angel [Re: tweetymom]
Kelly Kai Offline
Regular

Loc: Minnesota
Oh my yes!! Angel laid over 100 eggs in her 3 years of maturity. I only allowed her to raise one clutch in hopes it would make her slow down, but no luck! For the past 6 months we'd been doing really good becauase I had her in the cage where her feet couldn't reach through the bars to the floor so it was uncomfortable to nest in. I also kept her separate from everyone else except to visit (supervised, of course). Good luck with yours, keep switching her house up that's the best I could come up with. Thanks for your kind words, too.

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Latest Posts
blood on the underside of the wings
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 09:54 PM
Cages for parakeet
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 09:52 PM
Getting a cockatiel for christmas...
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 09:50 PM
Meditate
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 09:48 PM
cockatiel sings if you're happy and you know it
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 03:39 PM
Yoga
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 03:35 PM
to clip the wings or not clip the wings?
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 03:33 PM
Fake It Until You Make It
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 03:31 PM
Happy Thanksgiving
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 03:30 PM
Photos Recreating Paintings
by Lisa Shea
11/26/14 02:46 PM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site