Support Our Friends
The Child Health Site
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#408258 - 01/14/11 03:38 PM Maryland Set to Approve Same Sex Marriage
Lisa Shea Offline

Platinum Star Soulmate

Loc: US
Some good news from the gay marriage front, it looks like Maryland will join the states where it is legal -

http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/01/12/maryland.same.sex.marriage/

Remember back when it was thought to be impossible for any state to allow it?

Maryland has seven openly gay legislators too.

Add Maryland Set to Approve Same Sex Marriage to Twitter Add Maryland Set to Approve Same Sex Marriage to Facebook Add Maryland Set to Approve Same Sex Marriage to MySpace Add Maryland Set to Approve Same Sex Marriage to Del.icio.us Digg Maryland Set to Approve Same Sex Marriage Add Maryland Set to Approve Same Sex Marriage to Yahoo My Web Add Maryland Set to Approve Same Sex Marriage to Google Bookmarks Add Maryland Set to Approve Same Sex Marriage to Stumbleupon Add Maryland Set to Approve Same Sex Marriage to Reddit
#408264 - 01/14/11 06:53 PM Re: Maryland Set to Approve Same Sex Marriage [Re: Lisa Shea]
janimal Offline
Tin Star Soulmate

Loc: bude , cornwall
great news, but isn't it more than a little depressing that it has taken so long?

BudeStrings Music Tuition

Add Re: Maryland Set to Approve Same Sex Marriage to Twitter Add Re: Maryland Set to Approve Same Sex Marriage to Facebook Add Re: Maryland Set to Approve Same Sex Marriage to MySpace Add Re: Maryland Set to Approve Same Sex Marriage to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Maryland Set to Approve Same Sex Marriage Add Re: Maryland Set to Approve Same Sex Marriage to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Maryland Set to Approve Same Sex Marriage to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Maryland Set to Approve Same Sex Marriage to Stumbleupon Add Re: Maryland Set to Approve Same Sex Marriage to Reddit
#408272 - 01/14/11 07:12 PM Re: Maryland Set to Approve Same Sex Marriage [Re: janimal]
Lisa Shea Offline

Platinum Star Soulmate

Dear Janimal -

There are tens of thousands of years of history behind the way things have been. Just like the changes with women becoming equal, these sorts of colossal mind shifts take time to ripple through a society.

All the studies I read indicate that older people are most against the idea, and younger people don't see what the big deal is. So my theory is that as the older anti-gay generation passes on, the situation will quickly become one where gay marriage is the norm, and it will be done in a far more rapid time than most other transitions we have seen in history.

I imagine we don't have to wait more than another 10-20 years for the generation situation to have us all have 100% gay marriage states. That's pretty amazing.

I.e. I think with the elder members of our population that it's not going to work to try to change their minds, to undo decades of hard core lessons they have had drilled into them. I think we just have to wait for their generation to fade away.

Lisa

Add Re: Maryland Set to Approve Same Sex Marriage to Twitter Add Re: Maryland Set to Approve Same Sex Marriage to Facebook Add Re: Maryland Set to Approve Same Sex Marriage to MySpace Add Re: Maryland Set to Approve Same Sex Marriage to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Maryland Set to Approve Same Sex Marriage Add Re: Maryland Set to Approve Same Sex Marriage to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Maryland Set to Approve Same Sex Marriage to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Maryland Set to Approve Same Sex Marriage to Stumbleupon Add Re: Maryland Set to Approve Same Sex Marriage to Reddit
#408368 - 01/15/11 10:13 PM Re: Maryland Set to Approve Same Sex Marriage [Re: Lisa Shea]
jilly Offline

Best Friend

Loc: Asheville, NC
I will choose to look at it positively instead of dwelling on how sad it is to deny rights for so long.

No offense intended, Janimal, but are you a Glass Half Empty person?
App owner - RunPee.com - to help you find the best movie breaks smile

#408369 - 01/15/11 10:16 PM Re: Maryland Set to Approve Same Sex Marriage [Re: Lisa Shea]
jilly Offline

Best Friend

Also, my parents voted for prop 8 in CA, which really saddened me. I thought they were cooler than that about gay couples. I cannot IMAGINE how they thought taking away given rights to individuals -who never did or could hurt them personally - could in any way feel right.

#408418 - 01/16/11 12:04 PM Re: Maryland Set to Approve Same Sex Marriage [Re: Lisa Shea]
Lisa Shea Offline

Platinum Star Soulmate

Jilly -

That must be challenging. I am fortunate that in my family everyone feels strongly for gay rights, so it is never a discussion point.

Well that being said I'm not sure about my southern relatives. They did seem to be of the mind that "boys will be boys and they can only play with boy toys". That did bother me a bit. I've only seen them once in 20 years though so it's a distant issue.

#418175 - 09/19/11 03:57 AM Re: Maryland Set to Approve Same Sex Marriage [Re: Lisa Shea]
jilly Offline

Best Friend

It is challenging. They don't have problems (they state) with gay couples; they say their problem is with violating the term of marriage.

I still have real trouble with their uncoolness about this. I really did think more highly of them prior to finding out how they voted. Dan even YELLED at them over the phone about how they voted.

I don't like that he yelled, but normally he is quite mild mannered. It takes a lot to get him riled up like that.

#418220 - 09/19/11 11:24 PM Re: Maryland Set to Approve Same Sex Marriage [Re: Lisa Shea]
PDM Offline

True Blue Soulmate

Loc: UK
Anything new feels odd at first.

Once people get used to it, it won't be such an issue.

#418470 - 09/23/11 07:44 AM Re: Maryland Set to Approve Same Sex Marriage [Re: Lisa Shea]
jilly Offline

Best Friend

I completely agree, PDM!

#422153 - 02/06/12 05:37 AM Re: Maryland Set to Approve Same Sex Marriage [Re: Lisa Shea]
Lisa Shea Offline

Platinum Star Soulmate

Well, the last time failed, but they're trying again and think they may make it. Here's a graphic about how Maryland people are voting, and it's interesting because it sort of ties to our other discussion on race. I.e. why do they break out "African-American voters"?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-p...dQ_graphic.html

While I ask that, I do like that they break out the age groups - because it's always been my theory that we have to "age out" older voters in order to finally get gay marriage to be legal across the US.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Latest Posts
Photos at Clubs
by Lisa Shea
46 minutes 3 seconds ago
Ebook Publishing More Difficult
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 11:19 PM
Get Your Book Written
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 04:49 PM
Yoga
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 02:01 PM
Meditate
by Lisa Shea
11/21/14 09:54 PM
Reframing your Fears
by Lisa Shea
11/21/14 05:00 PM
artist Corita Kent
by Lisa Shea
11/20/14 07:48 PM
Massachusetts Audubon Photography Contest
by Lisa Shea
11/20/14 03:52 PM
The Power of Photography
by Lisa Shea
11/20/14 03:28 PM
Arts and Brain Aging
by Lisa Shea
11/20/14 02:59 PM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site