My violet female budgie
my cage
two blues
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Child Health Site
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#417601 - 09/05/11 03:35 PM New Birds, No Names... Yet.
ILikeCurry Offline

Loc: Somewhere in California
Hi as promised, I am back with two adorable new budgies. It turns out that I got them WAY earlier than expected because the other day, I was just looking for a bird cage that would be suitable for my home and a parakeet, and I found just the perfect cage (sorry Illussive I didn't buy the Hagen Vision cage from ebay because it didn't accept the credit card :() Except that when I went to go pick the cage up, the guy said that the cage also came with two birds. They were so adorable and appeared to be in good health, and it seemed like a shame to separate them (sorry illussive once again, it seemed so sad to separate the pair because they had been living like that for a whole year, so i just took both of them back home grin) Unlucky for me, the previous owner didn't actually hand tame them so they were really freaked when I tried to change the food and water in their cage, but now, they "trust the hand"... kinda... I'm definitely letting them take it at their own pace, and so far they seem to be doing well. I had to put up a couple of new perches inside the cage because it only had one before. (don't worry the perches were bamboo from my garden and are non-toxic) I'm planning on buying/making toys for them. The last owner also didn't give them cuttlebone so their claws and beaks are a little long, so I'm working on that too. They don't have names yet, but I can't seem to find any that stick. They did get used to my home quite easily, surprisingly, because the last owner also kept them outside. I put their cage in my room and constantly talked to them the whole day and in the end, I even got them to eat a little spray millet from my hand!Here is a link to a picture but I'm not actually sure if it works. Please help me find names! http://www.wineintro.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/newpost/Board/10 ... Just in case the link doesn't work, one is a yellow female with a greenish tail and some black spots, and the other one is a blue male with white/grey wings. (I'm so excited laugh!)

Add New Birds, No Names... Yet. to Twitter Add New Birds, No Names... Yet. to Facebook Add New Birds, No Names... Yet. to MySpace Add New Birds, No Names... Yet. to Del.icio.us Digg New Birds, No Names... Yet. Add New Birds, No Names... Yet. to Yahoo My Web Add New Birds, No Names... Yet. to Google Bookmarks Add New Birds, No Names... Yet. to Stumbleupon Add New Birds, No Names... Yet. to Reddit
#417602 - 09/05/11 04:14 PM Re: New Birds, No Names... Yet. [Re: ILikeCurry]
Daniellero Offline
Friend

Loc: Boston ma
I couldn't see the pics. How did you end up with a cage that came with two birds? Did you look in the classifieds or at a pet store? I think you will have your work cut out for you hand training them but it sounds like you have time to spend which is good. Mine are still somewhat hand trained but not nearly as friendly or affectionate as some here. Thats because I didn't buy from a breeder. They are great though. Good luck with your new friends.

Add Re: New Birds, No Names... Yet. to Twitter Add Re: New Birds, No Names... Yet. to Facebook Add Re: New Birds, No Names... Yet. to MySpace Add Re: New Birds, No Names... Yet. to Del.icio.us Digg Re: New Birds, No Names... Yet. Add Re: New Birds, No Names... Yet. to Yahoo My Web Add Re: New Birds, No Names... Yet. to Google Bookmarks Add Re: New Birds, No Names... Yet. to Stumbleupon Add Re: New Birds, No Names... Yet. to Reddit
#417603 - 09/05/11 04:25 PM Re: New Birds, No Names... Yet. [Re: ILikeCurry]
ILikeCurry Offline

Oh yeah... I looked at the classifieds. They are actually about a year and a half old, and are definitely adorable. Although I think they are doing fine in their new home. (I hope) Except I think I might have messed up, because when I wanted to remove the rest of the apples from the cage, I accidentally brushed the yellow one's belly and they both started freaking out and started flying around the cage like maniacs, luckily, I managed to calm them down with some music. Yes, I definitely have my work cut out for me, but this morning, I was able to reach my hand inside the cage and everything with them just looking at it and staying still smile

Add Re: New Birds, No Names... Yet. to Twitter Add Re: New Birds, No Names... Yet. to Facebook Add Re: New Birds, No Names... Yet. to MySpace Add Re: New Birds, No Names... Yet. to Del.icio.us Digg Re: New Birds, No Names... Yet. Add Re: New Birds, No Names... Yet. to Yahoo My Web Add Re: New Birds, No Names... Yet. to Google Bookmarks Add Re: New Birds, No Names... Yet. to Stumbleupon Add Re: New Birds, No Names... Yet. to Reddit
#417604 - 09/05/11 04:29 PM Re: New Birds, No Names... Yet. [Re: ILikeCurry]
ILikeCurry Offline

I think I'm going to name the yellow one "Butter" because she loves preening herself and is all shiny and stuff smile. I wanted to name the blue one "Pecan", but I don't think that's a very good idea because he's actually blue... oh well...

#417606 - 09/05/11 05:30 PM Re: New Birds, No Names... Yet. [Re: ILikeCurry]
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

Loc: upstate NY
Holy moly! That WAS fast!
Go to buy a cage and find it FULLY stocked eh?
I too think you have your work cut out for you..but take it sloow and be very patient and you will reap the rewards of loving budgies smile

Mind if I ask a few questions?
How big is the cage they are in?
Just how long is long when you say their beaks and nails are long?
I ask this because overgrown beaks can cause serious health issues if they get so long they can't eat properly. And nails? They can get caught up in things and cause foot/toe problems if they are so long that the foot doesn't sit properly.

You probably should get some cement/oyster shell perches to help with keeping things trimmed. Like these
http://www.petco.com/product/106805/PETCO-16-Cement-Perches.aspx
If beak and nails are ALREADY too long a trim by an avian vet may be needed.

Sorry to say that if you don't want breeding and babies, you will have to cage them separately afterall. frown
I know it sucks..but it is what it is with male/female pairs.

Are you SURE you have a male and female? Did the previous owner mention anything about egglaying or breeding in the past?

Annnyway..Congrats on your new friends
Take it slow...even where naming them is concerned. LOL A name will pop in to your head eventually once you get to know them and their personalities a little better smile

Pics would be niiice *hint hint LOL (I couldn't view the pic with that link either frown )

Open and account at photobucket.com
Upload some pics and copy/paste the IMG code here in your post smile
Might even help us determine gender and whether or not you have a nail and beak issue going on there wink

#417609 - 09/05/11 05:51 PM Re: New Birds, No Names... Yet. [Re: ILikeCurry]
ILikeCurry Offline

No no the cage wasn't fully stocked. I already had most of the supplies ready except for the toys and some extra perches. The nails aren't actually that long and I think the beak should be fine too (I was just actually worried at first, but I think it should be fine) They are eating normally and actually I don't think the nails will be much of an issue here, I have a bunch of different natural perches for them and I am planning on getting one or two extra cement perches. I'm just missing toys. Well actually I'm not really sure if they are male and female but the yellow one's cere is tan/brown and the blue one's cere is light blue/purple so I think so. But! The previous owner said that they have never actually nested for the one and a half year they stayed with him and were kept in a cage with a third parakeet. They LOVE when I play the radio for them and their cage size is as follows : 30x18x18. I was told that it would be better to have a cage that was longer so they could fly a bit. smile I don't know if its too small though. I think it should be fine, they look like they have plenty of space and when I manage (hopefully) to start and finish hand taming them I'll let them out into my "bird-proof" room. Here's a pic: http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n628/ILikeCurryAndApples/DSCI1146.jpg and another http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n628/ILikeCurryAndApples/DSCI1145.jpg (hope it works this time smile )

#417610 - 09/05/11 05:57 PM Re: New Birds, No Names... Yet. [Re: ILikeCurry]
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

Loc: Massachusetts
i dont understand why ebay didnt take a credit card unless your over drawn on it...never heard anyone having that issue. frown

good luck... but i think you jumped into the very thing you were explained too when you asked all your questions, that you should not do as a first time bird owner...especially seeing how these birds **maybe already have some possible beak and toenail issues...that tells me the previous owner did not take the proper care and you could end up with having biten off more than you can handle right away...

and i dont believe if the previous owner had issues with egg laying they will say anything kk...but it would be good to check..

hope you have a Avian vet lined up and a vet fund set aside...if not thats the very next thing you need to do.

good luck anyway and that link for pictures did not open

wink

Edited by illusive Fantasy (09/05/11 05:59 PM)

#417612 - 09/05/11 06:04 PM Re: New Birds, No Names... Yet. [Re: ILikeCurry]
ILikeCurry Offline

UGHH I know the link never works for some reason! Yeah I know that I shouldn't have taken both but they were living together for almost two years so it seemed like such a shame to separate them. I know i know but anyways their nails aren't very long, i will get them cement perches and bring them to a vet soon. They are eating properly and are indeed looking quite healthy. (They are active, their nose isn't running, they arent sneezing, their feet aren't sclay or anything, they are eating properly and hop around a lot. They don't seem very excited with the idea of having a human hand inside their cage changing their food and water but thats as far as I will be going for another week till they get more used to their new home. I think it will indeed be a lot of work.

#417613 - 09/05/11 06:14 PM Re: New Birds, No Names... Yet. [Re: ILikeCurry]
ILikeCurry Offline

Nope now I looked at them together and I'm pretty sure they are both male. wOw that was surprising. (Wait I'm still not sure) Both of their cere are blue/purple (oh wait I can't really tell....)--

#417614 - 09/05/11 06:39 PM Re: New Birds, No Names... Yet. [Re: ILikeCurry]
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

Loc: Massachusetts
sounds male for both but cant tell without pictures and we would all love to see pictures and you didnt mention the size of the cage an i just hope its metal toxicity safe as well.

anyway as i said wishing you good luck...and if they have been housed together that long and are both male there wouldnt be a need to separate unless there ends up some dominance issues.

but without pic's cant tell about any of it here from this point lol

Edited by illusive Fantasy (09/05/11 06:40 PM)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Latest Posts
Mystery Story A Day
by Lisa Shea
Today at 08:03 PM
Meditate
by Lisa Shea
Today at 04:50 PM
updates and questions on Tweety
by Ashley Horan
Today at 03:56 PM
Server Moves
by Lisa Shea
Today at 02:17 PM
PHP 5.6.2
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 11:40 PM
Greatest as well as Least expensive Footwear
by fflleeks
10/26/14 05:04 PM
---Help, I need help--- please
by Kymber
10/26/14 01:41 PM
Light painting
by Lisa Shea
10/26/14 01:36 PM
Salem Massachusetts
by Lisa Shea
10/26/14 12:37 PM
hand-watercolored origami lotus flowers
by Lisa Shea
10/23/14 03:36 PM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site