My violet female budgie
my cage
two blues
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Child Health Site
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#420852 - 12/15/11 11:32 PM Female Laying Random Eggs Non-stop?
Banana Monkey Offline

My Story is as follows:

I had five parakeets, three males and two female. I kept them separated almost all the time, sometimes I let them out so they can socialize...which has been a mistake.
About two weeks ago, I let them out for a short time, and then...as normal...I put them away in their correct cages. Two days later, I found two of the males dead, and lying in the bottom of their cage. The third was looking very healthy, and still to this day is looking very perky.
But just this Monday, one of my females laid an egg. Since the normal timing for egg laying is two to three days after a mating, I thought that the egg she laid was unfertilized. But today she laid another.
I am starting to think that she is having a "miracle" clutch, or that she was bred by one of the males when I wasn't looking, or that she is producing random eggs. The timing for this kind of egg laying is normal, two days after the first came so did the second.
I did what was appropriate -- I set her aside in her own separate cage, gave her a fresh cuttle bone, oral vitamins (in her H2O), and I set a small tin mailbox on the bottom of her cage. She loves it, and has laid her second egg in it. I also have a vet that has agreed to see her.
The only thing that is bothering me (besides the unknown father/possible medical problem) is that she is not laying on her eggs. She will once in a while, but just today I have not seen her in her tin mailbox at all.

What is your opinion on this situation?
What should I do?
Is there anything else that I need to try?
Thank You!

Add Female Laying Random Eggs Non-stop? to Twitter Add Female Laying Random Eggs Non-stop? to Facebook Add Female Laying Random Eggs Non-stop? to MySpace Add Female Laying Random Eggs Non-stop? to Del.icio.us Digg Female Laying Random Eggs Non-stop? Add Female Laying Random Eggs Non-stop? to Yahoo My Web Add Female Laying Random Eggs Non-stop? to Google Bookmarks Add Female Laying Random Eggs Non-stop? to Stumbleupon Add Female Laying Random Eggs Non-stop? to Reddit
#420855 - 12/16/11 01:56 AM Re: Female Laying Random Eggs Non-stop? [Re: Banana Monkey]
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

Loc: Massachusetts
i think you need to read this link....

providing anything also which represents a nest box such as this tin mailbox which the metal of it can cause heavy metal toxicity as well, is not a good idea...also not all females will start to sit on the eggs as soon as they are laid. Letting them males and females, come together at all is also not advised and should even be housed separately in different rooms along with several other things to prevent egg laying...this is not a miracle clutch.

please read this link

http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/birdinformation/egglaying.php

maybe she is also just way to young to know what to do...however egglaying fertile or otherwise breeding also is to be greatly discouraged because of several life threatening issues...two eggs is not a reason to be concerned at this time but i would remove that tin box and the eggs for sure and then not let them out at all with each other...be sure she also gets at this time foods with plenty of protein an calcium and a cuttlebone is usually not sufficient enough calcium and foods with this need to be supplied also.... staying away from calcium inhibitor veggies... such as parsley...brocolli...spinach...

some good A and C things to feed ...chili pepper seeds...beet leaves...or beet and carrot powder...also for protein a good source is organic HULL LESS HEMP BUT NOT to be feed as a normal diet of seed and only in sparse quantities for a short period of time...as its really packed with protein which could work in reverse causing more serious issues if it is. Go to ebay and enter that in the search engine to find sellers...the red chili pepper seeds can be found in any grocery store, those are the ones usually offered as a topping to pizzas...and no they dont hurt the bird as the bird isnt affected by the hotness and actually love these seeds.

its also advisable to remove any mirror toys etc and shreddy toys.

any vet you go to be SURE they are a vet educated in AVIAN studies such as a AAV vet...as every vet is not equal and DVM vets have limited studies in AVIAN issues. Its always strongly advised also to be sure to have a substanstial vet fund set aside AHEAD of time.

http://www.aav.org/search/

and also this link from the same site should help

http://www.aav.org/association/index.php?content=activeMembersList

Edited by illusive Fantasy (12/16/11 02:21 AM)

Add Re: Female Laying Random Eggs Non-stop? to Twitter Add Re: Female Laying Random Eggs Non-stop? to Facebook Add Re: Female Laying Random Eggs Non-stop? to MySpace Add Re: Female Laying Random Eggs Non-stop? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Female Laying Random Eggs Non-stop? Add Re: Female Laying Random Eggs Non-stop? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Female Laying Random Eggs Non-stop? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Female Laying Random Eggs Non-stop? to Stumbleupon Add Re: Female Laying Random Eggs Non-stop? to Reddit
#420860 - 12/16/11 06:40 AM Re: Female Laying Random Eggs Non-stop? [Re: Banana Monkey]
tessboss Offline
Long Time Friend

Hello Banana Monkey and welcome to the forum. Why do you think 2 of your males died? Is the remaining male the dominant male of the group?

I do not have females but I would listen to those who know and have had them. I am wondering though if the remaining male had a role in the deaths of the other two. Something like that is not at all normal and should be explored. Please keep us posted. This is how we all learn from each other.

Add Re: Female Laying Random Eggs Non-stop? to Twitter Add Re: Female Laying Random Eggs Non-stop? to Facebook Add Re: Female Laying Random Eggs Non-stop? to MySpace Add Re: Female Laying Random Eggs Non-stop? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Female Laying Random Eggs Non-stop? Add Re: Female Laying Random Eggs Non-stop? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Female Laying Random Eggs Non-stop? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Female Laying Random Eggs Non-stop? to Stumbleupon Add Re: Female Laying Random Eggs Non-stop? to Reddit
#422264 - 02/09/12 03:19 AM Re: Female Laying Random Eggs Non-stop? [Re: Banana Monkey]
kare Offline

my keet laid an egg i didn't get the chance to put a nesting box in and now she as 3 eggs on the bottom of the cage. what can i do so they don't hatch at the bottom and die. can i make a nest out of something for her.... like and old milk jug washed out with wood shavings added in it.... please help i'm desperate...

#422266 - 02/09/12 04:00 AM Re: Female Laying Random Eggs Non-stop? [Re: Banana Monkey]
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

hi and welcome...

first of all remain calm...take a deep breathe phewww ok thats better...is the male in there with her???...they wont hatch and die ..is she sitting on the eggs...does the bottom of the cage have a wire grate...if you take it out if possible without leaving a gap where the tray goes...if not...then just slip a bit of paper towel under the eggs and DONT MESS AROUND ...

touching eggs is a no no really as mama rotates them at what she knows is proper so the embyro doesnt stick inside to the shell preventing the baby from hatching...

do not use a old milk jug or anything like that...

biggest worry is she doesnt become EGGBOUND if the shows she is having a very hard time passing a egg its imperative to get her to a AVIAN vet as soon as possible thats a primary concern so start looking NOW for one or she will die if that happens...she is your biggest worry or should be...

do you have a cuttlebone or mineral block inside the cage i hope...she really needs LOTS of calicum to prevent egg binding...

do NOT feed parsley brocolli or spinach at this time at all as they are calcium binders...

what are you feeding...????

she will lay one egg every other day till she is done with what she thinks is enough......

if she doesnt lay one every other day make sure she is not eggbound and you can tell this from how she acts and just looking dont handle at her vent area ...if its swollen and nothing coming i cant emphasis enough DO NOT WAIT take her to a vet immediately...

ok now ..we can both take another deep breath..but dont handle those eggs except to just pick up and put down on some paper towel...

stay in touch here often and let us all know how its going...

fast responses are a good thing right now...

here is a website to search for a AVAIN vet in your area...

have one on call as this is a weekend and they always seem to do things like this on a weekend...like getting a toothache always a dern weekend smile

http://www.aav.org/search/

next link explains this better take the time to read ill also look for images of what it looks like for you but read this...

http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/birdinformation/egglaying.php

here ya go...open this link for a view and SCROLL DOWN

http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=77180

Edited by illusive Fantasy (02/09/12 04:25 AM)

#422286 - 02/09/12 09:11 PM Re: Female Laying Random Eggs Non-stop? [Re: Banana Monkey]
kare Offline

THANKS SOME OF THIS INFO IS HELPFUL. i have had many people tell me different things. the eggs are laying on the plastic at the bottom of the cage. there is 3 total. she laid on on the 1st, 3rd and 6th of feb 2012. so jsut a paper towel will be fine? she will tend to them after they hatch and feed them. they won't get to cold down on the cage floor. she has a cutle bone in her cage. i feed her bird seed, some egg yolk with a little bit of the shell crushed in it. and yes the male is in the cage with her. i just got used to her laying years all the time. she sits on the eggs all the time. she gets off for about 5 mins here and there.

#422288 - 02/09/12 09:32 PM Re: Female Laying Random Eggs Non-stop? [Re: Banana Monkey]
kare Offline

should i candle the egg to see if there's a baby in it?

#422289 - 02/09/12 10:25 PM Re: Female Laying Random Eggs Non-stop? [Re: Banana Monkey]
Kathy A Offline
Good Friend

Loc: Wyoming
That was very informative for me Illusive...even tho I am going to separate my two I'm still worried about Pips acting like she is getting ready to do something. I've mentioned she sits in her food cup and throws stuff all over.
Does she need extra calcium???
thanks

#422290 - 02/09/12 10:31 PM Re: Female Laying Random Eggs Non-stop? [Re: Banana Monkey]
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

no as i mentioned do NOT handle the eggs to candle you will know soon enuf if there are babies and handling as i mentioned may disturb the females rotation of the eggs and what was fertile may not hatch...so leave them be smile

they will be fine an not get cold...if she continues to lay passed six eggs or seven at the very most bring her to a vet who will give her a shot to stop her from laying an depleting her system weaking her too much where she could die... smile

if she hasnt laid any since the 6th hopefully she is done...and after she raises these babies you should also get another cage and separate these birds.

Edited by illusive Fantasy (02/09/12 10:36 PM)

#422291 - 02/09/12 10:32 PM Re: Female Laying Random Eggs Non-stop? [Re: Banana Monkey]
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

Kathy a lot of birds sit in their cups...is the cup next to the end of a perch where she can instead sit on the end of the perch...???

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Latest Posts
$9M in stolen art
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 05:40 PM
If you were God
by somsuj
Yesterday at 08:17 AM
Native American Novella
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 08:07 AM
Meditate
by Lisa Shea
12/19/14 09:58 PM
Classic Art - Redone
by Lisa Shea
12/19/14 08:00 PM
Call off Christmas!
by Lisa Shea
12/19/14 04:17 PM
Christmas Paintings
by Lisa Shea
12/19/14 04:06 PM
National Geographic Photo Contest
by Lisa Shea
12/18/14 09:13 PM
updates and LOTS of questions need help!??
by Lisa Shea
12/18/14 07:00 PM
Into the Wasteland
by Lisa Shea
12/18/14 06:54 PM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site