Support Our Friends
The Child Health Site
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#422257 - 02/09/12 02:31 AM TOYS
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

Loc: Massachusetts
WOW so excited ...ive always heard how birds luv this toy and before i use to look n look and never could justify the cost of one of these

however i think i just struck gold and with free shipping too...that alone is gold

cappy will finally get a boing rope...he deserves it lately because of what he has been thru

most of you dont know of a potential life ending accident he had but im very happy to say...almost two months later he is almost 100% recovered...

it was one of those freak accidents one would never think of...

NITE FRIGHT but during the DAYTIME and to make it worse...while he was out...its scary enough when they are in the cage but out...omg folks i can tell you THIS IS BAD...

so bad cappy just happen to clip the wood frameworks of the patio slider door with his beak

enough to crack it BAD...a small piece was jutting out...i knew i best not leave it at that as if he broke it off himself the rest of the way what would happen...if i wasnt there when he did ...simply put ...he would bleed to death...LITTERALLY...and quickly...like a main artery opening...the beak is NOT something to mess with folks...and one of these DONT DO THIS AT HOME things...get a vet...QUICK.

so it was one of those tough decisions...dern if you do and dern if you dont kind

i had to do it myself where i could manage the situation...

i got out all my emergency things from his kit and found a large low square box to put him in as climbing the bars of the cage would never do afterward...set it up with a dowel and put it aside...then i gathered up cappy and did the nasty deed...

it was the very tip of the beak jutting out and he couldnt eat or drink try as he may...so OFF it came...and of course then the life and death emergency went into high gear...again thank goodness i knew exactly what to expect from all of this...many many years experience helped..having a steady hand and cool head helped more...

trying to make a long story short is sometimes impossible...after MULTIPLE attempts to stop a LOT of bleeding as it would stop then start..we finally managed to get it stopped for good...then prayed...actually prayed all thru this...BIG TIME...next step was to give some antibiotic and then just put him in the box ...he never went into shock BUT..from so much blood loss the brain did cause what is like a stroke situation to both feet where the front two shorter toes curled up and over the longer first main toe...making it impossible to climb bars even if he could which of course that wasnt going to happen anyway because the beak needed time to heal...

this also required some hand feeding thru a syringe as i dont have pipettes...of some baby food sweet potatoe...then it was a week almost in the box for him watching day and nite for three days i was up almost around the clock for any kind of complications from blood loss...

ok here it is...almost two months later...at first he couldnt crack much for seeds only the small ones ...thank gawd for homemade formulas of seed mixes that you can instantly adjust which i did..it is only now he is back on his regular full seed mixture and doing very well..

one toe has completely straightened back to normal and the other is almost there...he can climb and eat normally now...

the big dangers in order to me were...shock...blood loss...trauma ...and would the beak have enough left for him to eat on his own and when growing back would the layers of it fuse properly to make sure further fracturing did not happen..

the beak of a bird for those who dont know grows at a remarkable rate of 1/4 inch a month...which helped...it also forms and fused in layers making this a hang on and wait thing to see what would happen as it grew out...again thank gawd for those OYSTER SHELL perches which they groom and file their beaks on

i did not inform everyone of this only a couple of others at the time because i didnt want for everyone to fret etc...

CAPPY is going to be fine... laugh but folks

gotta tell ya...NEVER have i experienced DAYTIME nite fright with a bird OUT of his cage and while he was content sitting on my shoulder before all heck broke loose...

Edited by illusive Fantasy (02/09/12 02:41 AM)

Add TOYS to Twitter Add TOYS to Facebook Add TOYS to MySpace Add TOYS to Del.icio.us Digg TOYS Add TOYS to Yahoo My Web Add TOYS to Google Bookmarks Add TOYS to Stumbleupon Add TOYS to Reddit
#422265 - 02/09/12 03:37 AM Re: TOYS [Re: illusive Fantasy]
MarleyandMe Offline
Friend

Gosh hun, how scary for you
I'm glad he is making a good recovery, he is very lucky to have you xoxoxo

hugs to you both

Add Re: TOYS to Twitter Add Re: TOYS to Facebook Add Re: TOYS to MySpace Add Re: TOYS to Del.icio.us Digg Re: TOYS Add Re: TOYS to Yahoo My Web Add Re: TOYS to Google Bookmarks Add Re: TOYS to Stumbleupon Add Re: TOYS to Reddit
#422279 - 02/09/12 03:49 PM Re: TOYS [Re: illusive Fantasy]
Kathy A Offline
Good Friend

Loc: Wyoming
I guess scary!!! It's such a good thing you knew what to do. We don't have any avian vet within 200 miles so it would have been a rush to the reg. guy here in town...I don't have a cool head. Good thing for Cappy that you do. He is one lucky little guy.

Add Re: TOYS to Twitter Add Re: TOYS to Facebook Add Re: TOYS to MySpace Add Re: TOYS to Del.icio.us Digg Re: TOYS Add Re: TOYS to Yahoo My Web Add Re: TOYS to Google Bookmarks Add Re: TOYS to Stumbleupon Add Re: TOYS to Reddit
#422282 - 02/09/12 06:17 PM Re: TOYS [Re: illusive Fantasy]
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

are you sure kathy have you checked thru the avian search ive posted in here from time to time ...??

#422298 - 02/09/12 10:46 PM Re: TOYS [Re: illusive Fantasy]
Kathy A Offline
Good Friend

Loc: Wyoming
The closest is Salt Lake City. 200 miles. Casper might be closer, mile-wise, but it's a 2 lane road part of the way so it actually takes longer to get there. Jackson has one, but you go through a couple of passes and I've been stuck for hours trying to get through. Salt Lake has several, I just need to pick one. I do have that list. Thanks for that.

#422300 - 02/09/12 10:49 PM Re: TOYS [Re: illusive Fantasy]
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

ok good on having that list...wanted to make sure...you can also check with a couple they may and could very well know of someone NOT on that list who is closer to you. smile im not sure how often that list is updated...and there are clinics that open often that dont advertise thru it.

Edited by illusive Fantasy (02/09/12 10:50 PM)

#422309 - 02/10/12 01:03 AM Re: TOYS [Re: illusive Fantasy]
Lady Vyz Offline
Companion

Loc: Tampa, FL
Holy mackerel, Illusive. Don't know of anyone else who could have done what you did for Cappy. God bless you, and He did. Cappy is a lucky boy.

#422317 - 02/10/12 02:13 AM Re: TOYS [Re: illusive Fantasy]
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

yes GOD has most definetly blessed me in many many ways...glad to see you about in here again we missed you... wink

#422340 - 02/10/12 05:15 PM Re: TOYS [Re: illusive Fantasy]
Lady Vyz Offline
Companion

Loc: Tampa, FL
Nice to be back. As you know, we had a pretty tramatic weekend after loosing Dickie. Spent a lot of time with Denny and he seems to be taking it well, but he has also been going through a major molt, so I know that he was not himself either way.

Keith surprised me on Monday with a new edition to our family, Timmy. I am going to try to put a photo in the photo gallery. Oh boy, here we go with training again.

#422351 - 02/11/12 01:56 AM Re: TOYS [Re: illusive Fantasy]
JeanneM Offline
Long Time Friend

Loc: Jonesburg, MO
Wow such a heart stopping story. I knew you mentioned he had a tramatic experience but I didn't realize how bad it was. I'm so proud of you! And of course Cappy too. It just makes you wonder what caused a bird to become so eratic so quickly. Poor little guy. And Lady Vyz, I can't wait to hear more about Timmy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Latest Posts
Mystery Story A Day
by Lisa Shea
Today at 08:03 PM
Meditate
by Lisa Shea
Today at 04:50 PM
updates and questions on Tweety
by Ashley Horan
Today at 03:56 PM
Server Moves
by Lisa Shea
Today at 02:17 PM
PHP 5.6.2
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 11:40 PM
Greatest as well as Least expensive Footwear
by fflleeks
10/26/14 05:04 PM
---Help, I need help--- please
by Kymber
10/26/14 01:41 PM
Light painting
by Lisa Shea
10/26/14 01:36 PM
Salem Massachusetts
by Lisa Shea
10/26/14 12:37 PM
hand-watercolored origami lotus flowers
by Lisa Shea
10/23/14 03:36 PM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site