My violet female budgie
my cage
two blues
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Child Health Site
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#422568 - 02/19/12 01:12 PM I thought this bird was the devil.................
Arlene Offline
Regular

Loc: new york
Turns out she may havve killed the other males for just being near her! Since I have her in a separate cage........her own domain...........her own food and toys........all she does is lay eggs!
At first I was shocked by this. Now it happens a few times a week and I am at a loss as to what to do. If I leave the eggs, she eats them. If I take them out she still lays them.
I have a cuttle bone and a mineral bar in there, but how do I discourage her from doing this.
I admit to finding her on the bottom of the cage so often I shredded paper towels. Now she loves it and nests in it all the time.
Please help me as I am not her biggest fan for killing my males but I certainly do not want her to die from egg binding.
She sings to the males and she screams at them. Flies around her cage for a few days until she is ready to go through it all again.
Please help me*
Thank all of you and I do ot know what I would do without your advice.
Arlene

Add I thought this bird was the devil................. to Twitter Add I thought this bird was the devil................. to Facebook Add I thought this bird was the devil................. to MySpace Add I thought this bird was the devil................. to Del.icio.us Digg I thought this bird was the devil................. Add I thought this bird was the devil................. to Yahoo My Web Add I thought this bird was the devil................. to Google Bookmarks Add I thought this bird was the devil................. to Stumbleupon Add I thought this bird was the devil................. to Reddit
#422570 - 02/19/12 02:24 PM Re: I thought this bird was the devil................. [Re: Arlene]
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

Loc: Massachusetts
you should try these things...dont feed her a enriched diet with veggies ..in fact dont feed veggies...maybe twice a month is all...and cover her way earlier than the others when you put her to bed limiting the amt of daylight thru the day she has to say no more than 8 hrs...and nothing in the cage she can shred or use as a nest at all...switching around toys etc as some believe this helps ...i dont....because when a female decides to lay eggs or breed that isnt something that will stop those hormonal changes from happening as birds need to adapt all the time anyway...

id also place her in a different room where she cant even see the males she will hear them and call to them but id separate and make sure that even during flight time there is no visitation going on...

however you really need to consider getting her to a vet if she is a chronic layer as this will eventually kill her due to depletion of vital vitamins and minerals...to get her a shot to get her back on track...

i know there are some fine veterinarian places there in N.Y. so to find a AVIAN vet should not be a issue for you but thats the strongest recommendation since she has been doing this over n over...

also remove the toys she is the most amorous over ...she is bonding with those...so get those away from her...and NO MIRRORS in the cage.

laugh

good luck ... smile

Edited by illusive Fantasy (02/19/12 02:28 PM)

Add Re: I thought this bird was the devil................. to Twitter Add Re: I thought this bird was the devil................. to Facebook Add Re: I thought this bird was the devil................. to MySpace Add Re: I thought this bird was the devil................. to Del.icio.us Digg Re: I thought this bird was the devil................. Add Re: I thought this bird was the devil................. to Yahoo My Web Add Re: I thought this bird was the devil................. to Google Bookmarks Add Re: I thought this bird was the devil................. to Stumbleupon Add Re: I thought this bird was the devil................. to Reddit
#422615 - 02/20/12 10:31 AM Re: I thought this bird was the devil................. [Re: Arlene]
Arlene Offline
Regular

I am taking away her nesting things little by little as she is already in the process of laying another egg:(
I now cover her early and I am moving her cage this evening. I thought that if I do all of this too fast I might cause her egg to bind.
I am so upset over her...........and understand her much much more*
Thank you*

Add Re: I thought this bird was the devil................. to Twitter Add Re: I thought this bird was the devil................. to Facebook Add Re: I thought this bird was the devil................. to MySpace Add Re: I thought this bird was the devil................. to Del.icio.us Digg Re: I thought this bird was the devil................. Add Re: I thought this bird was the devil................. to Yahoo My Web Add Re: I thought this bird was the devil................. to Google Bookmarks Add Re: I thought this bird was the devil................. to Stumbleupon Add Re: I thought this bird was the devil................. to Reddit
#422629 - 02/20/12 07:20 PM Re: I thought this bird was the devil................. [Re: Arlene]
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

no just do it all not slowly....she wont get eggbound from that...that would be like a woman giving birth then just shutting herself off ...it doesnt happen like that... smile

still strongly recommend THE AVIAN VET route

#422784 - 02/27/12 10:19 AM Re: I thought this bird was the devil................. [Re: Arlene]
Arlene Offline
Regular

Thank you I moved her to another part of the house and she is till having more eggs. I make sure she has nothing to nest with, all the cuttlebones and mineral rocks she needs. Food is abundant and I have no idea of what comes next.
She is covered more than 12 hours a day and I am still thinking of more ways to stop this.
She is on the bottom of the cage now trying to lay another egg.
I have the name of an avian vet and I will call on my way to work.
Thank you as always. Any more ideas are appreciated*

#422795 - 02/27/12 02:40 PM Re: I thought this bird was the devil................. [Re: Arlene]
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

ok for the sake of correct terminology especially if your going to be talking to vets etc...its cuttle bone...some say cuddle ..and its mineral blocks..not rocks...not trying to be a itch here just getting the correct terminology out there...a lot of newcomers do this so dont be offended lol. smile

food being abundant is part of this issue ...drop her to seed only not a buffet of variety at this time...no fresh veggies either...just her straight seed mix you buy is all...no millet sprigs or treats etc...only 8 hrs of daylight and when you cover her also dim the lights with only a small table lamp on...and yes...best get her to a avain vet ASAP...she is in serious health issues at this time...and should have a hormone shot to stop all this and get her back on track...

which at that time you would continue to cover early and darken the room somewhat...an only feed veggies in strick moderation...and with her now also ...nooooooo parsley...brocolli...or spinach for sure...you will or should also ask or get at the vets some liquid calcium to give her and build up her reserves of calcium again...unlike what folks think...in this situation ..,..cuttle bones are NOT sufficient
smile

Edited by illusive Fantasy (02/27/12 02:41 PM)

#422886 - 03/02/12 07:33 PM Re: I thought this bird was the devil................. [Re: Arlene]
Arlene Offline
Regular

Just to let you know Ms Fantasy..........you do know what you are saying and feel free to correct me any time you like*
She has now been separate for a week, little light and followed all your advice:)
NOT ONE EGG!
I called my vet who does birds though not a solo practice avian vet and he said all of your advice was right on. If she had another egg after all the changes you suggested he did say to get to one!
As of now she is lonely but getting used to the solitude. The other birds have been quieter.............but thank you so much for all the on point advice:)*

#422891 - 03/02/12 08:09 PM Re: I thought this bird was the devil................. [Re: Arlene]
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

oh well hey...big grin here...thanks soooo much for all the comeback comments...hmmmmmmmmm ill take them anytime at all...THANK YOU...and glad things have shaped up a bit..now keep your birdie toes crossed just for good luck...

for the record...been around feathers and feather dander for MANY MANY years lol..and was a RESPONSIBLE breeder...

you hang in there and all i can say is THANKS for taking the advice to heart and following thru for YOUR BIRD...

laugh

oh yeah...one more thing i came back to say...dont mistake her resting and recuperating for loneliness...she is probably going PHEWWW finally...a vacation wink

Edited by illusive Fantasy (03/02/12 08:14 PM)

#422892 - 03/02/12 08:40 PM Re: I thought this bird was the devil................. [Re: Arlene]
vypeman Offline

I'm on here taking in everything that anybody says for advice as Iago is my first bird so it really is a learning experience for me. So I want to thank you all for the great advice I've been seeing on these boards

#422893 - 03/02/12 09:49 PM Re: I thought this bird was the devil................. [Re: Arlene]
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

well its great to know as a first time bird owner that your very conscientious about its lil feelings and life...you dont see that to be honest to often especially with these lil birds...

sooooo again...its sooooooo nice quite a difference from most times that someone is looking ahead for a time when they will need to be helpful in some way and not wait...

that makes a lot of us here smile and i doooo meannn smile. so refreshing and spirit lifting

stick around..and hopefully some lil pearl of knowledge may stick with you for a time when it will be very important...

unfortunately avain vets are not always easy to find or available..

laugh

glad your enjoying reading these boards...almost anything you need to know about almost anything there is to know giggle...is out there for you to read..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Latest Posts
Three more rescue budgies coming to live here!
by luckystar
Today at 08:38 AM
Procrastination
by Lisa Shea
09/14/14 11:50 PM
Meditate
by Lisa Shea
09/13/14 04:55 PM
Regency Era Timetravel Series
by Lisa Shea
09/12/14 03:01 PM
Handling writer's block
by Lisa Shea
09/12/14 09:56 AM
Yoga
by Lisa Shea
09/12/14 09:40 AM
BellaOnline Ebook Award
by Lisa Shea
09/11/14 01:41 PM
Music and Writing
by Lisa Shea
09/10/14 07:37 PM
Out of the cage
by Kymber
09/07/14 11:34 AM
Training Teeny
by Kymber
09/06/14 08:36 PM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site