My violet female budgie
my cage
two blues
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Child Health Site
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#422614 - 02/20/12 07:35 AM Re: Parakeet biteing other parakeet foot [Re: JackieMarie]
JackieMarie Offline

I have a one of those tall cages.He has been leaving her/him alone now they seem to be now mostly on different perches alot now but I just wont to know if you can answer this question.(Still taking the bird to vet though)I woke up this morning after my dad hung the cage from the ceiling last night I notice there was blood on the cutlet bone and some on the cage I could not tell which one was bleeding but as soon as sugar raise her/him wing I saw dried blood on the the end of her feather is this cause by pulling out her wing of maybe cutting it on the cutlet bone?It was not a lot of blood just like you scrap your finger and wipe it on a keelex is all but had me worried maybe you can answer me fast then my vet cause they don't open till 8 and it only 7 (the blood looks dry but I may be wrong I am new to this)

Add Re: Parakeet biteing other parakeet foot to Twitter Add Re: Parakeet biteing other parakeet foot to Facebook Add Re: Parakeet biteing other parakeet foot to MySpace Add Re: Parakeet biteing other parakeet foot to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Parakeet biteing other parakeet foot Add Re: Parakeet biteing other parakeet foot to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Parakeet biteing other parakeet foot to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Parakeet biteing other parakeet foot to Stumbleupon Add Re: Parakeet biteing other parakeet foot to Reddit
#422618 - 02/20/12 01:10 PM Re: Parakeet biteing other parakeet foot [Re: JackieMarie]
Kathy A Offline
Good Friend

Loc: Wyoming
Can you post a picture? My boy chirp just went through a similar ordeal with his wing somehow getting broke. We had to pull it, but it was like your's I didn't see it happen and there was actually dried blood on the other side, it must have bled pretty bad to get all over like that.
Scary.
I'm glad I have mine separated now as my girl, Pips is being quite active and she used to really pick on Chirp...and you know how birds can be. I don't know if its the same way with budgies, but I know chickens will pick on each other if they sense and injury or weakness. Now he can sit calmly in his cage with his little swing all to himself. And listen to Pips scream at him. smile

Add Re: Parakeet biteing other parakeet foot to Twitter Add Re: Parakeet biteing other parakeet foot to Facebook Add Re: Parakeet biteing other parakeet foot to MySpace Add Re: Parakeet biteing other parakeet foot to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Parakeet biteing other parakeet foot Add Re: Parakeet biteing other parakeet foot to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Parakeet biteing other parakeet foot to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Parakeet biteing other parakeet foot to Stumbleupon Add Re: Parakeet biteing other parakeet foot to Reddit
#422832 - 02/29/12 12:53 AM Re: Parakeet biteing other parakeet foot [Re: JackieMarie]
JackieMarie Offline

How do you post pictures?

#422833 - 02/29/12 03:55 AM Re: Parakeet biteing other parakeet foot [Re: JackieMarie]
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

Loc: Massachusetts
kathy you keep telling folks your bird had a broken wing this could cause someone great distress and you need to say broken blood feather not broken wing smile altho a broken blood feather is also very very stressful and scary... crazy

one is way different from the other...and let me assure you any time a keet bleeds the blood does get all over them where you would not necessarily think it would. Because when something is bleeding on them they will even stick their face there to pick or see whats going on so could even get blood on their face from under a feather or on another part of their body.

that in itself can cause panic with someone...but...all that being said anytime a keet bleeds it can be something serious especially to infection...

so its best she doesnt waste time with a pic if she is going to a vet in a hour ...just find the area JackieMarie and get some qwik stop on it...if you dont have any try cornstarch or a bar of soap that you get really mushy from sitting in water or shave some off a bar an put it in like a small glass of water to soften then apply to the area where the blood is...

and of course get to your vet asap as antibiotics will most defenetly be given too so infections from bacteris does not get into the wound and blood stream... smile

also first chance you get go to any pet store and ask where their qwik stop is and buy some for future injury...its very cheap and you wont need much so it last a long time

the cuttlebone should not have caused this so its likely it was something else like a sharp edge on a perch or something in the cage...check out what you have in the cage besides the cuttlebone which may have caused this...so if it was something like that it wont happen again

let us all know what happens at your vet. thank you and i hope all goes well laugh

Edited by illusive Fantasy (02/29/12 04:01 AM)

#422841 - 02/29/12 11:59 AM Re: Parakeet biteing other parakeet foot [Re: JackieMarie]
Kathy A Offline
Good Friend

ooops, feather not wing. I posted that late, must be why the mistake. smirk Having to pull the blood feather that was broke was not quite the ordeal I thought it would be and Chirp is doing great now, you would never know anything was wrong. I had some great coaching on what to do and a cool headed hubby to help me. And kwik stop.

#422853 - 02/29/12 01:57 PM Re: Parakeet biteing other parakeet foot [Re: JackieMarie]
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

you did amazing pulling that feather ...love how you didnt mess around and just got it done also...and yes they just brush it off like nothing afterwards and i believe are grateful whenever we help them in a crisis...

and im glad you mentioned how it wasnt so bad to have to do that as again folks need to realize this and act quickly just like you did...again cudos to you well done... laugh

#422856 - 02/29/12 04:14 PM Re: Parakeet biteing other parakeet foot [Re: JackieMarie]
Kathy A Offline
Good Friend

Thanks. And thank you again for the know-how and encouragement that I could do it.
Chirp thanks you too. smile

#423054 - 03/13/12 07:27 AM Re: Parakeet biteing other parakeet foot [Re: JackieMarie]
JackieMarie Offline

Sugar and Spice are doing very well now I was advise to separate them till she was better then I could put them back together.The both seem depress when they was not together but happy little birdies now!He still chases her around the cage in the morning but after that the snuggle together and talk and talk lol till about night time thank for all the help!Just one more question when they are in the cage at night is it alright to have some kind of fan on gets hot at night and did not know if the air from the fan would do anything to them.Right now they are up and at them and playing and makeing noise lol Thanks sooooooo much!

#423063 - 03/13/12 05:04 PM Re: Parakeet biteing other parakeet foot [Re: JackieMarie]
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

wow long time no hear on how the birds were ...glad to hear things are better ...but IF both are of opposite sexes its best to keep them in separate cages.... smile

#423370 - 04/16/12 12:21 AM Re: Parakeet biteing other parakeet foot [Re: JackieMarie]
JackieMarie Offline

Well this is a sad time for me don't know how to let anyone know but my heart is broken.My two wonderful birds sugar and spice died in a house fire Sat the day before Easter.I did not get to them in time and the smoke got to them :(The house is fine just alot of smoke damage and the kitchen the is a lost.the smoke came into the room they was in and they past on.R.I.P. Sugar in Spice going to sooo miss wakeing up to you two chirping like crazy and acting silly frown

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Latest Posts
Die besten Trainer - Adidas Trainer
by Kymber
Yesterday at 05:54 PM
New budgie owner...need help with adjusting please
by Jacquie
Yesterday at 05:10 AM
Pavtube 2014 Back-to-School Promotion
by Silence Mike
08/18/14 09:08 PM
Nike Free Run Shoes Indicate Your Technique Nicely
by Bselinea
08/18/14 09:05 PM
Meditate
by Lisa Shea
08/18/14 05:02 PM
Creating Memories
by Lisa Shea
08/18/14 03:48 PM
Mused Autumn Equinox issue
by Lisa Shea
08/18/14 08:59 AM
Brooding Mystery Novel
by Lisa Shea
08/18/14 06:22 AM
King Richard III and Wine
by Lisa Shea
08/18/14 05:35 AM
Nature Photography
by Lisa Shea
08/17/14 06:43 AM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site