Support Our Friends
The Child Health Site
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#431846 - 01/26/18 05:32 PM New owner! Need advice  
Jacey Offline
Jacey  Offline

Hi everyone! I got my first bird, a parakeet, about 4 months ago. Her name is Milo and she is finally getting comfortable with me outside of the cage. I have a couple of questions:

1. She is not hand tamed yet. I am having a hard time. She sometimes will take millet out of my hand but other days she will get afraid if I even open the cage. What is the best way to tame without scaring her too badly?

2. I am in college and I worry that during the day she gets lonely. I have lots of toys and mirrors, which she loves, but is that enough? My only concern about getting another parakeet is that I've read it's harder to tame them when you have two. I'm already having trouble taming her. So would that affect anything? Should I get her a friend or no?

3. My vet said I should allow her out of the cage even with her not being tame. When I'm in the room I always leave the cage door open. She finally decided to come out the other day. She wouldn't come near me, but explored my room for hours and even went back in her cage when I set her dinner in. I have her wings clipped now, but is it necessary to keep them clipped? She will always be in a bird safe room with me watching her if she is out of her cage.

Like I said, this is my first bird. I just want to make sure I am doing everything so she can be happy and healthy! I'd be grateful for any tips or tricks you use with your bird. Thanks!

#431848 - 01/26/18 09:55 PM Re: New owner! Need advice [Re: Jacey]  
Lisa Shea Offline
Lisa Shea  Offline

True Blue Soulmate

Welcome, Jacey! Congratulations on your new parakeet!

Hand taming is a long, slow process. You want to work on it every day. Multiple times a day is good. Stay consistent and steady. She will learn!

I would avoid mirrors because that gets your parakeet to think there's another keet in there. I would play soft music and spend the time you can.

I would not let her out of the cage if she's not tame. If there's an emergency you'll have to chase her around which isn't good. That being said, I also wouldn't clip her wings. So I would work on the taming and then let her out at that point.

Good luck!

Lisa Shea, Owner

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Latest Posts
by Lisa Shea. 03/15/18 02:57 AM
Paralyzed toe
by damag. 03/12/18 01:17 PM
Depth of Field
by Lisa Shea. 02/26/18 09:59 PM
Common Objects
by Lisa Shea. 02/26/18 09:08 PM
Biting Female Keet
by Edd. 02/26/18 03:36 AM
As "male" jobs go away
by Mongrel. 02/26/18 01:48 AM
levitation photo challenge
by Lisa Shea. 02/19/18 02:56 AM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site