Lyrics that are special for you

Posted by: IronFront

Lyrics that are special for you - 10/12/09 09:44 PM

Defiance, Ohio - Hey Kathleen, Are You Hungry?

Quote:
are you angry? are you searching for a better way to live? ..........

how can i help but feel depressed, ..................

why am i angry? what am i searching for? .........

[A few words can be quoted from songs, but full lyrics cannot be posted, because of copyright law. PDM]
Posted by: PDM

Re: Lyrics that are special for you - 10/13/09 06:52 PM

Lyrics are here:

http://www.plyrics.com/lyrics/defianceohio/heykathleenareyouhungry.html

Re: Lyrics that are special for you - 10/16/09 05:57 PM

Okay, thanks for being a buzzkill, PDM.

Anyway, here are the lyrics again now that I have permission from the band to post them.

Quote:
are you angry? are you searching for a better way to live? are you waiting? have you been waiting too long? what holds us back and how to burn the bridges of a culture that taught us to hate and fear and live like cogs in a machine and not like lovers friends and kin.

how can i help but feel depressed, get up in the morning and get dressed, look out the window through rush hour smog ... smoke and drink the world away 'cause what the politicians say won't answer any of my questions like ...

why am i angry? what am i searching for? is there a better way to live? why am i hopeless? have i been waiting too long to strike back against this state of affairs?

Hey Kathleen, Are You Hungry? by Defiance, Ohio
Posted by: Carl

Re: Lyrics that are special for you - 10/16/09 10:40 PM

youtube-I Get That All the Time

Due West - I Get That All the Time

I really like the message of this song.

Re: Lyrics that are special for you - 10/17/09 12:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Carl
I don't exactly like the message. Believe it or not, some people do need drugs and sex to cope.

Re: Lyrics that are special for you - 10/17/09 02:26 PM

Originally Posted By: IronFront
Okay, thanks for being a buzzkill, PDM....

Just remember to keep the rules & be polite!!!

Re: Lyrics that are special for you - 10/17/09 02:34 PM

... Due West - I Get That All the Time[/url]

I really like the message of this song.

Yes, I think it's good!
Posted by: baby blue

Re: Lyrics that are special for you - 10/17/09 03:30 PM

i hear babies cry, and watch them grow.
they're gonna learn more than i'll ever know...
the entire song... "what a wonderful word" is a big positive in my life. smile

Re: Lyrics that are special for you - 10/17/09 04:34 PM

A few more that I love -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXDg8DcaJoE (I can't find the lyrics online, and I don't feel like typing them up, but I won a contest with GC Records and got the vinyl. Amazing.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJjNYOAZb1M (I also know this guy a bit. Emailed him for promotion occasionally, nice dude. Even though I'm not asian I still understand it.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6m8lwFmw_0 (I talked to their lead singer about this song where I learned that it was not, as I thought, about a kid who's punk and being brought down by the world, but about a kid trying to get out of punk.)
Posted by: kksuns

Re: Lyrics that are special for you - 10/17/09 08:03 PM

I like the last one by The Briggs smile
Lyrics that are special to me?? Geesh there are too many LOL
Off the top of my head
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q0Eyw3l3XM

Re: Lyrics that are special for you - 10/17/09 08:26 PM

I don't exactly like the message. Believe it or not, some people do need drugs and sex to cope.

I don't begrudge anyone the decisions to cope as they want. However, apparently you see the "message" differently than I do. To me, the message is to live in the now and to enjoy loving and being loved - the day in and day out routine of life. None of us can really throw stones about how we cope (or do not). I certainly can't. And unlike the singer of this song, I can't deny that I have not "been there" for my loved ones all the time.

Yet, I like the message that I can continue living my imperfect life and enjoy the journey. Amidst the highs are all kinds of hassles and problems and worries. But that's life.

Re: Lyrics that are special for you - 10/17/09 08:30 PM

Also, by the way, I didn't question the one you felt special. I thought the topic was what was special to each of us. Even if nobody thought the song I posted was special, it yet is special to me.

Also, for the record, I'm not against sex, or drugs. Abuse - I am against.

Re: Lyrics that are special for you - 10/17/09 09:39 PM

Also, by the way, I didn't question the one you felt special. I thought the topic was what was special to each of us. Even if nobody thought the song I posted was special, it yet is special to me.
I was questioning the message of the song, not whether or not it's special for you. I'm sure if I posted this song - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7XctjiLpXU you'd say something. If not, you're just being too tolerant.

Re: Lyrics that are special for you - 10/17/09 10:31 PM

Let me just say politely but firmly that I just don't need the hassle from you or people like you. I don't need this board. And this board doesn't need me. You just be as tolerant, or not, as you want.

Re: Lyrics that are special for you - 10/17/09 10:40 PM

Let me just say politely but firmly that I just don't need the hassle from you or people like you. I don't need this board. And this board doesn't need me. You just be as tolerant, or not, as you want.
...Ok?
Posted by: tweetymom

Re: Lyrics that are special for you - 10/17/09 10:53 PM

Hey Carl, I'm glad you're here!

Re: Lyrics that are special for you - 10/17/09 11:10 PM

Thanks, Dinah. Mostly I'm just PM-ing with a few right now. I'm fed up with the acrimonious stuff. Discussion is one thing, but IMO there's way too much of putting others down. Not my board, so not my call. But I can choose whether to post or not. I thought the topic interesting, but it's not interesting enough to feed another's ego.

Re: Lyrics that are special for you - 10/17/09 11:51 PM

Carl, I have no idea what you're talking about.

Re: Lyrics that are special for you - 10/18/09 01:38 PM

... I thought the topic was what was special to each of us. ...

That's what it seems to say.

I suppose, though, that by putting forward a comment ~ by giving us one's 'special' lyics ~ one is also inviting responses ~ and, then, one can respond to those responses.

As with any thread, we don't want it to degenerate into unpleasantness and / or personal arguments.

[To Carl]
I'm sure if I posted this song -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7XctjiLpXU
you'd say something. If not, you're just being too tolerant.

But you didn't post it, so how is that relevant?
And how can you claim to assume ~ be 'sure' ~ whether / how, if you did post it, someone would, or would not, respond?

Re: Lyrics that are special for you - 10/18/09 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Defiance, Ohio ~ 'Hey Kathleen, Are You Hungry?'
... how can i help but feel depressed .....?
... smoke and drink the world away.....?
... what am i searching for?
is there a better way to live?
why am i hopeless? ...

Originally Posted By: Due West ~ 'I Get That All The Time'
When I'm kneeling down
and feeling all those little arms around me
and my wife has got the bedroom in her eyes.
Yeah, Buddy, when you get that kind of love,
it's the only kind of drug,
that gives peace of mind in this crazy life of mine.

Due West ~ 'I Get That All The Time':
http://www.onlylyrics.com/hits.php?grid=8&id=1032844

I see how these two sets of lyrics go well together.

The first asks the question:
'... is there a better way to live? '

The second replies:
'...when you get that kind of love,
it's the only kind of drug,
that gives peace of mind ...'

Re: Lyrics that are special for you - 10/18/09 04:39 PM

I can see where you're going PDM, but the first song was written as an anti-capitalism song. The second is showing how to improve your happiness in a capitalistic society.

Originally Posted By: PDM

But you didn't post it, so how is that relevant?
And how can you claim to assume ~ be 'sure' ~ whether / how, if you did post it, someone would, or would not, respond?
Because I'm assuming that he doesn't like the message of that song and would comment on it. I didn't like the message of his song and I commented on it.

Re: Lyrics that are special for you - 10/18/09 04:49 PM

IronFront, not many people would or could ask the person who wrote/sang a song! IMO, you seemed like you were trying to pick a fight with anyone!

So are you upset that he didn't reply the way you wanted him to?

Re: Lyrics that are special for you - 10/18/09 05:46 PM

I can see where you're going PDM, but the first song was written as an anti-capitalism song. The second is showing how to improve your happiness in a capitalistic society.
Or showing how to cope in the face of adversity / tempation/ whatever.

Re: Lyrics that are special for you - 10/18/09 06:28 PM

To tell the truth, I first saw the topic & first post AFTER it had been edited by PDM. And I only skimmed the repost (with permission?). I was responding to what I thought the implied invitation to post what was my/our lyrics that is/are special to me/us.

I never thought that I didn't like the first set of lyrics, nor did I consciously decide to offset them with another direction. In fact, about a week or more ago, I posted the same links on Facebook (to the Due West song). I had heard the song on the radio while driving in my truck. I was struck once again about how one can truly feel alive, and appreciate, the joys of everyday life - even in the midst of life's problems, if one allows oneself to do so.

None of you know the life I've had, nor do I know yours. IMO, I've had plenty to "excuse" coping behavior. But I've learned to stop making excuses. Instead, I have become willing to forgive myself for my imperfections and falling short, and to take satisfaction in the achievements that I would laud others for. Why not give myself the same breaks I give others?

And I redefine or refocus goals.

One goal is to enjoy and love grandchildren, family, and friends. I am successful - perhaps not in their expectations (and sometimes not in mine), but in the perspective of who I am and what my strengths and talents are.

As I alluded to before, I am NOT against sex nor drugs. I've had my share of recreatonal pot, and liked it. I won't comment on whether I've had my share of recreational sex (or less, or more), but I can tell you that the so-called golden years are indeed golden when you're married to the person who stirs your very soul.

While I can understand your point, PDM, about posts being open to comment (and you've made the point before), I thought this topic was like where we posted what our favorite songs were. To be fair, I DID say I liked the Due West message in that song, and I didn't specify what I saw the message to be - maybe because I subconsciously was apprehensive about hanging myself out for attack. Lately, that has been happening way too often on here.

Maybe I should start a thread inviting posts and then attack each one who posts? No, that's just not my style.

Oh, as far as capitalistic jargon, sorry, I just don't want to get into that. I've been poor all my life, and am happy just to have food to eat, a comfortable environment, and toys to play with (sorry about the ending preposition, those of you who insist on proper grammar & spelling).

Re: Lyrics that are special for you - 10/18/09 06:39 PM

I agree, Carl, I feel the same about life, love and the persuit of the above.

I do think, however, that a lot of the posters on here are pretty young and I am reluctant to put myself out there usually. EEEk!

Re: Lyrics that are special for you - 10/18/09 06:44 PM

I still have no idea why you feel like I was attacking you.

Re: Lyrics that are special for you - 10/18/09 07:58 PM

Let's just assume that there has been some misunderstanding here and that the way certain posts were worded led others to infer that something negative was being said, when, apparently, it wasn't.

Just for the record, I think that if anyone posts anything on a discussion forum, then it is up for discussion ~ within the rules & ethos of the board.
Posted by: Stephen

Re: Lyrics that are special for you - 11/29/09 11:41 AM

yowo/IronFront- If you ever get on the forums again, say something here. It'd be cool to talk to you again...however odd that sounds, haha.