Maryland Set to Approve Same Sex Marriage

Posted by: Lisa Shea

Maryland Set to Approve Same Sex Marriage - 01/14/11 03:38 PM

Some good news from the gay marriage front, it looks like Maryland will join the states where it is legal -

http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/01/12/maryland.same.sex.marriage/

Remember back when it was thought to be impossible for any state to allow it?

Maryland has seven openly gay legislators too.
Posted by: janimal

Re: Maryland Set to Approve Same Sex Marriage - 01/14/11 06:53 PM

great news, but isn't it more than a little depressing that it has taken so long?

Re: Maryland Set to Approve Same Sex Marriage - 01/14/11 07:12 PM

Dear Janimal -

There are tens of thousands of years of history behind the way things have been. Just like the changes with women becoming equal, these sorts of colossal mind shifts take time to ripple through a society.

All the studies I read indicate that older people are most against the idea, and younger people don't see what the big deal is. So my theory is that as the older anti-gay generation passes on, the situation will quickly become one where gay marriage is the norm, and it will be done in a far more rapid time than most other transitions we have seen in history.

I imagine we don't have to wait more than another 10-20 years for the generation situation to have us all have 100% gay marriage states. That's pretty amazing.

I.e. I think with the elder members of our population that it's not going to work to try to change their minds, to undo decades of hard core lessons they have had drilled into them. I think we just have to wait for their generation to fade away.

Lisa
Posted by: jilly

Re: Maryland Set to Approve Same Sex Marriage - 01/15/11 10:13 PM

I will choose to look at it positively instead of dwelling on how sad it is to deny rights for so long.

No offense intended, Janimal, but are you a Glass Half Empty person?

Re: Maryland Set to Approve Same Sex Marriage - 01/15/11 10:16 PM

Also, my parents voted for prop 8 in CA, which really saddened me. I thought they were cooler than that about gay couples. I cannot IMAGINE how they thought taking away given rights to individuals -who never did or could hurt them personally - could in any way feel right.

Re: Maryland Set to Approve Same Sex Marriage - 01/16/11 12:04 PM

Jilly -

That must be challenging. I am fortunate that in my family everyone feels strongly for gay rights, so it is never a discussion point.

Well that being said I'm not sure about my southern relatives. They did seem to be of the mind that "boys will be boys and they can only play with boy toys". That did bother me a bit. I've only seen them once in 20 years though so it's a distant issue.

Re: Maryland Set to Approve Same Sex Marriage - 09/19/11 03:57 AM

It is challenging. They don't have problems (they state) with gay couples; they say their problem is with violating the term of marriage.

I still have real trouble with their uncoolness about this. I really did think more highly of them prior to finding out how they voted. Dan even YELLED at them over the phone about how they voted.

I don't like that he yelled, but normally he is quite mild mannered. It takes a lot to get him riled up like that.
Posted by: PDM

Re: Maryland Set to Approve Same Sex Marriage - 09/19/11 11:24 PM

Anything new feels odd at first.

Once people get used to it, it won't be such an issue.

Re: Maryland Set to Approve Same Sex Marriage - 09/23/11 07:44 AM

I completely agree, PDM!

Re: Maryland Set to Approve Same Sex Marriage - 02/06/12 05:37 AM

Well, the last time failed, but they're trying again and think they may make it. Here's a graphic about how Maryland people are voting, and it's interesting because it sort of ties to our other discussion on race. I.e. why do they break out "African-American voters"?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-p...dQ_graphic.html

While I ask that, I do like that they break out the age groups - because it's always been my theory that we have to "age out" older voters in order to finally get gay marriage to be legal across the US.

Re: Maryland Set to Approve Same Sex Marriage - 02/06/12 06:39 AM

I wonder what things we will have to 'age out of'....that is the kind of thing i think about a lot. I am sure these old people thought they were very progressive in their day.. wink

Re: Maryland Set to Approve Same Sex Marriage - 02/06/12 09:50 AM

Yes certainly undoubtedly in another 20 years the youngsters will all be scolding us older people for not being "with it" and accepting their changes to society.

Maybe they'll complain that we read paper books and waste paper, when everyone should be going e-book only.