Pips and Chirp's first bath

Posted by: Kathy A

Pips and Chirp's first bath - 01/14/12 08:35 PM

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/g369/flippityjib/?action=view&current=BirdsBathtime.mp4

Didn't get that branch very stable did I? It's one I baked and washed and will eventually trim and put in their cage, but I wanted to see if I could get them off the floor...

I had no idea they would like it so much.
Posted by: illusive Fantasy

Re: Pips and Chirp's first bath - 01/14/12 08:45 PM

wayyyyyyyy too cute id leave it rocking lol ya know like rocking in the treetops all day long as the song goes ...it doubles as a seesaw too and where it isnt high they wont get hurt...

id say you got a whole flock of birds and sounds like the others wanted a bath too...lol

thanks for taking the time to do that...and im STILLLL jealous as heck as that was one of the first type of containers i TRIED to get cappy to take a bath in...giggle

check your email now sorry i didnt know you were ready but it should be there now.
Posted by: MarleyandMe

Re: Pips and Chirp's first bath - 01/14/12 09:49 PM

Oh they are so adorable lol. Looks like everything was a huge hit! Well done smile

Re: Pips and Chirp's first bath - 01/14/12 10:20 PM

thanks. that was fun. will have to place their branch better, it sort of looked like to me that Pips got bonked...although I didn't notice that at the time. She's ok now.

I play that bird sounds off the internet for them sometimes.

Re: Pips and Chirp's first bath - 01/14/12 10:29 PM

oh that wasnt a bonk you should see a BONK...that was nothing...you have other pets tho right
Posted by: MarleyandMe

Re: Pips and Chirp's first bath - 01/14/12 10:39 PM

LOL I agree with illusive, you'll know a Good Bonk when you see it!!

Re: Pips and Chirp's first bath - 01/15/12 02:00 AM

Yes, we have a French Bulldog. he stays locked up, but I think you can hear him barking under the door during the video clip. He hates that he's missing out...he just loves the birds...and that's what I'm afraid of.

He will never be out when they are out. I'm very careful when it comes to him. He is a MAJOR HUMPER, so he can't be around any little dogs either. He doesn't bite...but you know people get really annoyed by his type of behavior.

He also will run off and NEVER look back. Typical Frenchie. They don't care who they own. Anyone's as good as anyone else. No loyalty at all! So...he is always leashed or in a dog park with only dogs bigger then him. My daughters Whippets (who he outweighs) spank him down on a regular basis. But I would call them the B word...but not here. smile

He's had some major bonks...but that's ok, Frenchies have hard heads.
smile
Posted by: Carol1956

Re: Pips and Chirp's first bath - 02/27/12 03:37 AM

Adorable.Can't wait until mine take baths. Just misting them right now. They won't go into the water.

Re: Pips and Chirp's first bath - 02/27/12 06:15 AM

Hey thanks! I was so shocked they went for it I almost dropped the camera. They have never really acted like they were having as much fun since. A quick dip in their bathtubs in their cage in the morning and that's it. Maybe I should try it on the floor again. smile

Chirp like a good misting too Carol.

Re: Pips and Chirp's first bath - 02/27/12 06:34 AM

thank gawd after all i went thru to try to get my lil mr prissy pants to take a shower/bath...in this case shower...that i now dont have to keep trying...seeing how he likes it in the kitchen sink under the spray now when he is out he just hovers at the sink and sings or whatever he may call it lol.. and talks and lets me know IM READY lol... laugh
Posted by: Lady Vyz

Re: Pips and Chirp's first bath - 02/27/12 09:24 PM

Hi Kathy, this is sooooooooo cute. I can't get Denny any where near a bath. He has to be misted. I am hoping that Timmy takes to water better than Denny. Dickie used to bathe in his water cup and he HATED to be misted.

I am jealous!

Love the bird sounds ;-)

Re: Pips and Chirp's first bath - 02/28/12 12:17 AM

That was a once in a lifetime moment... Especially with the poor Frenchie in the background barking to be let out.
When I posted this on Facebook all my cousins thought I'd gone and bought 50 birds and had them all in the living room wink

Re: Pips and Chirp's first bath - 02/28/12 08:26 AM

ill just betcha all those bird sounds encouraged those two to dive in also... smile

Re: Pips and Chirp's first bath - 02/28/12 03:48 PM

They always seem to perk up when I have bird song on. Or even when it happens on the TV. It's the same with Bruno, he only watches TV when a dog is barking on it. Sillies.
It doesn't help when I'm trying to get them to cooperate and step up to my hand with all the bird chatter. I have to turn it off then.

Re: Pips and Chirp's first bath - 02/28/12 08:38 PM

lol...the idea when training is to have NO distractions...train one at a time ...be consistent...patient...and firm but not forceful ...when they get tired ...backoff...try ..to make training sessions twice a day getting comfortable and for 10 to 15 minute intervals...cover one cage where they are so close to each other while doing this also or the other is gonna keep interferring...i can see how close your cages are so thats a huge problem...when perch or hand training when they do step on either dont move and dont try to take out of the cage...always use the same words as up or step up...off or down..

and just keep at it ...it could take weeks...but once its down pat then your home free ...thing thats holding you back is they should not have come out of the cage before this was accomplished and all the distractions...lol smile
Posted by: Lady Vyz

Re: Pips and Chirp's first bath - 02/28/12 09:12 PM

Thanks Illusive

Good advise for all of us in "training-mode".

Re: Pips and Chirp's first bath - 02/29/12 03:12 AM

I will def. try that.

Thing is they do pretty good in the cage. Will step right up, but sometimes step right off again. I let chirp do this "I'm on, now I'm off, now I'm on" thing a few times then let it go. Pips will step on once, then after a minute she want off and that's all I'm gonna get out of her for then.

Both of them had the step up to the perch great when I had let them out last. And they would stay on it 'till we got to the door of their cages and they would hop in.

so how do you know it's a solid step up until you do get out of the cage, cuz like with dogs, it changes the dynamics, doesn't it? ...you know when dogs are on leash it's a whole dif. story than the minute you take it off. They know they can do what they want at that point, or with our, he's actually better behaved, I just don't trust him smirk

In any case, everyone is staying in-doors for now.

Re: Pips and Chirp's first bath - 02/29/12 04:07 AM

you know when its solid kathy you can tell when a animal is doing stuff willingly or its tired and just wants it all to stop so does whatever...you can read a animals body language im sure...and the expression even a bird has in its eyes an head movement...to know if its really nervous or scared or just wanting it all to be done...a minute on a perch is a long time most birds dont sit still that long except to eat or sleep...

the idea is they do what you want the moment you want them too..they dont have to freeze like a ice sculpture but you need to see you have control and its a mutual thing...not a domineering kind of situation

smile

Re: Pips and Chirp's first bath - 02/29/12 05:13 PM

So based on what you said I would say Chirp has a pretty solid step up. I put my had in anywhere near him and he hops on and will hop off, go somewhere else, come back, hop back on. He will close his eyes and grind his beak (that means contentment correct?) With him I do really feel like he is confortable with me.

As of last night I feel very good about his comfort level with me. I just sensed it. He stayed on me, shoulder, hand, leg...the whole time when he could have hoped onto this basket I set down for him, or his cage. It was like he wanted to be with me and that was the first time I felt like that. I felt really good about it, everyone was calm (except for Bruno who was in the bathroom downstairs...poor little boy)

I want to give Pips a couple of days to recover from being out of the cage for who knows how long before I stress her out (if I am, I don't know) with her perch training. I will start again with that and just resting my hand inside the cage near her.

Re: Pips and Chirp's first bath - 02/29/12 06:36 PM

all sounds like things are moving along very nicely for you then....and id say yes he is comfortable with you now...and just keep him brushed up on his perch training as hand training will be a everday thing now and not a special time of need to do this...

well done one down one to go...females tend to be a little slower tho so dont get discouraged they are more independent and dont know what they are missing smile

and again cudos to you on how smart you are with waiting for the female to once again settle but a day or two should be fine with that as they bounce back pretty quickly...

unlike folks animals in general just dont seem to hold any hard feelings...which is admirable of them laugh

Re: Pips and Chirp's first bath - 02/29/12 09:31 PM

I know what you mean. I think that's why I like animals so much. I am never nervous with them, they will most always be accepting and non-judgmental. (although miss Pips seemed to be really put out with me yesterday)

I'm pretty excited over the progress with Chirp and plan on making it a daily thing, even if for only 15 min or so.

Re: Pips and Chirp's first bath - 03/01/12 06:42 PM

you should be glad about your progress you and he worked hard for it and remained patient this is a good thing...

you dont really want to extend training for 15mins as birds attention spans dont really last that long thats why they are always hopping about and get tired and bored easily....

and when you train one away from the other YEP things will go much better always...that way there is no distractions... smile
Posted by: JeanneM

Re: Pips and Chirp's first bath - 03/02/12 11:19 PM

Oh my goodness, that video is about the cutest thing I've seen in a long time. So adorable. And playing with that branch is like watching little kids play at Tumble Gym.

Re: Pips and Chirp's first bath - 03/03/12 11:07 PM

They love that branch. It's like the greatest thing ever. when I take them out 1 at a time in the bathroom I let them sit there for a while before working on them sitting on my hand or shoulder. They've both done it, but Chirp always does it easier. Miss Pips isn't that thrilled with me yet. smirk

Re: Pips and Chirp's first bath - 03/03/12 11:44 PM

giggle on ms pips ..she is being normal..females are more SNOOTY and standoffish... smile they have "attitude"

Re: Pips and Chirp's first bath - 03/07/12 04:40 AM

I'm seeing that attitude now with her. she is also the funniest, what with the hanging upsidedown and looking and squeaking at me. It's so cute. And she will pull up between her legs so that the wall of the cage rubs her back. Not sure what that is all about but it's pretty amazing she doesn't twist her little leg to do it.

Re: Pips and Chirp's first bath - 03/07/12 05:10 AM

uh oh...lets hope rubbing her back isnt what a female looks for to stimulate herself into breeding...she could be just acting like a clown but id watch for other signs...in the meantime ...but her to bed much earlier with lights out...no more than 8hrs of daylight for little missy fancy pants.

Re: Pips and Chirp's first bath - 03/08/12 02:11 AM

Yeah, I kinda thought about that too. she does it more at night, so maybe that's when she needs to go to bed. It's not everynight, but most. What if she is getting in breeding mode? What happens next to watch out for and does that mean she will want to start laying eggs?

Re: Pips and Chirp's first bath - 03/08/12 02:19 AM

YAH but kathy thats not something you want to let her get into the habit of...just distracted here somehow every single time you see her do that...break her of the act before it becomes habit...cuz geeeesh if it does...and this is what she continues to do and it brings her to egg laying mode ya wont ever get her out of it... cry

Re: Pips and Chirp's first bath - 03/08/12 05:03 AM

Oh no....I've been taking to her and giving her lots of attention when she does do it cuz it was so cute....all the wrong things! She get so silly when she hangs upside down it always draws me to her cage...not good!
Well, she went to bed a couple of hours ago. I will stop paying "good" attention when she does that little manuver. I don't want eggs. She's too little to go through that stuff.

Re: Pips and Chirp's first bath - 03/08/12 05:10 AM

ohhhhh yeah she is too young would be a baby having a baby know what i mean...even tho she would be able to lay eggs wayyyy to young an we do have another person in here who went thru that...so noooo you dont want eggs ...not ever lol...