Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Child Health Site
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#180045 - 05/10/07 06:06 PM Problems With Bernie
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey guys, I posted in the general parakeet chat about the way Bernie has been acting. I thought I would post a video so then you guys see what he's beeng doing to Donald. Btw, Bernie does this continuously and sometimes, I'll come home from school and both of them are on both sides pecking at him and poor Donald just has his eyes closed and his head down. I have them seperated now because it got so out of hand. Bernies about a year old, Homers probably around 9 months old, and I think Donald's around 6-8 months old. I know for sure that Donald's a male. Also, Bernie isn't aggresive towards Donald, he's just plain annoying. He is however, aggresive towards Homer when Donalds in the same cage as them. When Bernie and Homer are together, they get along perfectly.
Here's the video:

http://s85.photobucket.com/albums/k42/NotEvenAnAnt/?action=view&current=MVI_4040.flv

http://s85.photobucket.com/albums/k42/NotEvenAnAnt/?action=view&current=OverbearingBernie.flv

Edited by NotEvenAnAnt (05/10/07 06:18 PM)

Add Problems With Bernie to Twitter Add Problems With Bernie to Facebook Add Problems With Bernie to MySpace Add Problems With Bernie to Del.icio.us Digg Problems With Bernie Add Problems With Bernie to Yahoo My Web Add Problems With Bernie to Google Bookmarks Add Problems With Bernie to Stumbleupon Add Problems With Bernie to Reddit
#180049 - 05/10/07 06:42 PM Re: Problems With Bernie [Re: ]
LoveMyBoys Offline
Best Friend

Loc: Illinois
It is not agressive behavior, although it does look like Donald feels smothered. I think Bernie is just courting him. Especially the way he shood the other bird away from Donald. From your profile picture Donald looks like a girl. If you have the two males Bernie might be trying to keep Donald as his mate.

Add Re: Problems With Bernie to Twitter Add Re: Problems With Bernie to Facebook Add Re: Problems With Bernie to MySpace Add Re: Problems With Bernie to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Problems With Bernie Add Re: Problems With Bernie to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Problems With Bernie to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Problems With Bernie to Stumbleupon Add Re: Problems With Bernie to Reddit
#180050 - 05/10/07 06:44 PM Re: Problems With Bernie [Re: LoveMyBoys]
LoveMyBoys Offline
Best Friend

OK new theory. In one of the pics, it does look for sure that Donald is a male. Bernie may be competing with Homer even though he is a male for the mate. She may perceive Homer as a threat.

Add Re: Problems With Bernie to Twitter Add Re: Problems With Bernie to Facebook Add Re: Problems With Bernie to MySpace Add Re: Problems With Bernie to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Problems With Bernie Add Re: Problems With Bernie to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Problems With Bernie to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Problems With Bernie to Stumbleupon Add Re: Problems With Bernie to Reddit
#180051 - 05/10/07 06:46 PM Re: Problems With Bernie [Re: LoveMyBoys]
LoveMyBoys Offline
Best Friend

This might sound crazy but i wonder if getting a fourth bird would be enough to keep Homer occupied so he is not a threat and they can all live together. What do you all think?

#180052 - 05/10/07 06:53 PM Re: Problems With Bernie [Re: LoveMyBoys]
Anonymous
Unregistered

You know, I was wondering that myself. lol and there's so many cute parakeets at the pet show right now too lol, but are you saying Bernie's a female? Homer's cere is turning purple, but Bernie's is still pink.

#180098 - 05/10/07 10:40 PM Re: Problems With Bernie [Re: ]
big bad momma Offline
Copper Star Soulmate

Loc: n.y
hold off on getting another bird the ones you have aren't trained yet.to me it looks like you have boys.does anyone have a tan,brown or light blue cere with white rings around the nostiles?that would be a sign of a female.unless you got them all at the same time this behavior is normal.the one that was already there feels he's home is being invaded.if you got them one by one did you train them before getting a new bird?if you haven't read lisa hand training forum please do it's great advice.after a period of time all of them will be acutomed to each other.it is also recommended that a new keet not be placed in the cage with the others for a month.,in which time you caould hand train it.

#180105 - 05/10/07 11:18 PM Re: Problems With Bernie [Re: big bad momma]
LoRaXspeek4keets Offline
Soulmate

Loc: NY
i don't really know what Bernie's trying to do, but that doesn't look like aggressive behavior to me--don't worry!

#180114 - 05/11/07 01:01 AM Re: Problems With Bernie [Re: LoRaXspeek4keets]
PunkKareBear Offline
Great Friend

Loc: Arizona
i wouldnt take homer out i would take bernie out!

he seems to be scaring both birds...

#180145 - 05/11/07 08:13 AM Re: Problems With Bernie [Re: PunkKareBear]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I won't get another bird anytime soon since they are not getting along. No, none of them have tan, brown or blue ceres. Homer's was pink, but is now turning purple so I guess that indicates he's a male from what I read on this site. Bernie's was pink and still is pink. I pretty much have Bernie and Homer tamed to a certain extend, but I still have to work with Donald. I let them out about 3-4 times a week for 1-2 hours. They will fly to my hand when I call them and they'll sit on my finger. They don't bite me at all. I also have a play pen which they love. When I take them all out, Bernie still acts the same way, but maybe alittle worse. He'll chase Homer away until he flys off the roof of the cage and he'll just keep preening, pecking and yelling at Donald. I noticed yesterday that Donald's tail is missing. I don't know how it happend or where it went, but for sure happend when he was with Bernie or Homer. If you guys need more videos or more information to try to solve this problem, please let me know.

Edit: Before I posted the topic something like, "Bernies Aggresive Behavior." The thing is he's totally not aggresive with Donald at all. He just doesn't ever give him space. He doesn't even let him eat he just pecks at him and chases him off the food cup. That's why I think he got so skinny. He just is always around following him where ever he goes and Donald clearly looks so exhausted from Bernie. It looks like tortue for Donald. I came home one day and both of them on each side of him where preening him and pecking at him and Donald had his head down and eyes closed looking like he was about to fall over.

Edited by NotEvenAnAnt (05/11/07 08:28 AM)

#180358 - 05/11/07 06:27 PM Re: Problems With Bernie [Re: ]
LoveMyBoys Offline
Best Friend

When Peri was acting like that to Bleu, i had to get separate food cups for them. There are really cheap ones you can hang almost anywhere in the cage. I would recommend only a few inches apart so if one bird shoos away the other bird, the other food cup is right there and they will realize they can go to it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Latest Posts
Find your Enameled Aluminum Wire
by enameledaluminum
4 seconds ago
porcelain cyanotype ornament designs
by mnopqr354716
12/13/17 02:02 PM
Training two budgies
by mnopqr354716
12/13/17 02:01 PM
Rise of Gig Economy
by Swati Gupta
12/13/17 03:43 AM
Gears Steampunk wood palette cyanotype
by Lisa Shea
12/12/17 10:52 AM
Wing Flipping
by Lisa Shea
12/12/17 10:38 AM
kittens
by Lisa Shea
11/29/17 11:56 PM
Meditate
by Lisa Shea
11/29/17 10:54 PM
Lisa Shea Origami in the Blackstone Valley Xpress
by Lisa Shea
11/24/17 07:09 PM
abstract cyanotype grid
by Lisa Shea
11/24/17 04:22 AM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site