My violet female budgie
my cage
two blues
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Child Health Site
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#181837 - 05/15/07 02:40 PM New bird or no new bird?
Parrish Offline
Regular

I have two females and one male. I want a new bird, but am concerned about the cage size. Sould I get a bird or not? The bird cage is usually left open anyways. I don't want a new cage.

Edited by Parrish (05/15/07 02:41 PM)

Add New bird or no new bird? to Twitter Add New bird or no new bird? to Facebook Add New bird or no new bird? to MySpace Add New bird or no new bird? to Del.icio.us Digg New bird or no new bird? Add New bird or no new bird? to Yahoo My Web Add New bird or no new bird? to Google Bookmarks Add New bird or no new bird? to Stumbleupon Add New bird or no new bird? to Reddit
#181844 - 05/15/07 02:48 PM Re: New bird or no new bird? [Re: Parrish]
*6 budgie nutz* Offline
Soulmate

Loc: PA
well first off your not supposed to have 2 females and one male together in the same cage, the two females are going to fight over the male when it comes time to breed, so yea i would think you need to get a cage and separate male/female or female/female. they will get along as long as there is no male to fight over and it would be fine if you had two males two females youknow equal sexes then they wont fight because both females will have a mate. but still looking at that cage i really would say you need a different one weather you get a new bird or not. you need wider rather then taller. so that they can fly around like they are suppose to i would say that that cage is to small for the ones you got.
they have no room to move in that thing.
MIN. Size for TWO - 30x18x18"
Volume= 9,720" sq.

Add Re: New bird or no new bird? to Twitter Add Re: New bird or no new bird? to Facebook Add Re: New bird or no new bird? to MySpace Add Re: New bird or no new bird? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: New bird or no new bird? Add Re: New bird or no new bird? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: New bird or no new bird? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: New bird or no new bird? to Stumbleupon Add Re: New bird or no new bird? to Reddit
#181845 - 05/15/07 02:48 PM Re: New bird or no new bird? [Re: Parrish]
KeetCrazy Offline
Long Time Friend

Loc: Northern Illinois
No room at the inn. Sorry but that cage is to small. Birds fly horizontal, not vertical. No room for an additional bird.

Save your pennies and go for a new cage, then add another bird.

For what my experiance is worth. As long as there are no issues with your keets getting along, it doesn't matter what the mix is. I currently have 4 femals and 2 males in my aviary and 2 of those females are in breeding mode. No fighting. I beleive this is due to the temperment of my particular birds. Point being, I beleive this varies depending on the birds. No hard and fast rules regarding mix. Just be aware that there might be problems and be prepared with alternate housing if it does happen.

Edited by KeetCrazy (05/15/07 02:59 PM)

Max,Sweetie,Bubbles,Peep,Rayne,Sully.

Add Re: New bird or no new bird? to Twitter Add Re: New bird or no new bird? to Facebook Add Re: New bird or no new bird? to MySpace Add Re: New bird or no new bird? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: New bird or no new bird? Add Re: New bird or no new bird? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: New bird or no new bird? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: New bird or no new bird? to Stumbleupon Add Re: New bird or no new bird? to Reddit
#181846 - 05/15/07 02:51 PM Re: New bird or no new bird? [Re: KeetCrazy]
Parrish Offline
Regular

Is room really an issue if I always keep the cage open though? It's open proll20 hours of a 24 hour day. Even when they sleep. It's only closed when me and my gf are away at the same time which is rare.

#181847 - 05/15/07 02:53 PM Re: New bird or no new bird? [Re: Parrish]
*6 budgie nutz* Offline
Soulmate

Loc: PA
its always good let the cage open no matter how many you get, but with that cage evan if it is open that cage is too small for the birds you have. im sure you mean them no harm, but thats like putting them into a jail cell.

#181849 - 05/15/07 02:59 PM Re: New bird or no new bird? [Re: *6 budgie nutz*]
Parrish Offline
Regular

ouch ive been to jail not good. Well, that sucks I really wanted to go up and get another one. All my birds seem very happy though. They are outa the cage as oftin as they are in (esp Katie). Moneys not the issue with a bigger cage it's finding the space in my room. It's just not there. And I don't wanna move the cage outa my room cause that's where they get the most attention and is the only room theyd be as free as they are to fly around with an open cage. I'm making a playgem for outa the cage as well.

#181854 - 05/15/07 03:12 PM Re: New bird or no new bird? [Re: Parrish]
villageidiot33 Offline
Regular

Loc: North Dakota
My neighbor has a teil in that same exact cage. It has lasted 20 yrs in it!
2teils;Bo & Daisy

#181860 - 05/15/07 03:33 PM Re: New bird or no new bird? [Re: villageidiot33]
Stephen Offline
True Blue Soulmate

Loc: North Carolina
Hmm, I'd DEFINITLY get another bird, if you get a bigger cage. It doesn't have to be huge, since their cage door is open all day long. smile I actually would recomend the cage that BetsyDaisy has. It's 18x18x30, which is only recomended for 2 keets, but your guys get to be out all day long. smile The cage is also wider than it is tall, which is good for keets considering that they fly horizantaly, bot verticaly. smile
The cage you have now, really isn't good at all...no matter how much time they get out of the cage. smirk Circualr cages are also not recomended because they make keets feel unsafe.
I would get another cgae, and then another budgie, because as MTLJ said, 2 females and 1 male is a huge no-no. DEFINITLY get another keet. It is alos good to have keets in even numbers so that everyone has a preening/feeding partner.
smile

#181868 - 05/15/07 03:47 PM Re: New bird or no new bird? [Re: Stephen]
Parrish Offline
Regular

Horozontal space is hard to get in my room though. May room isnt large enough for a much bigger cage.There just isnt any room guys. I'd love to have them in a larger cage.

My parents even said I could have there old Macaw cage, but obviosly I don't have the space.

(yes I know I'd have to screen the cage as the wire is to far apart for keets.

#181873 - 05/15/07 04:01 PM Re: New bird or no new bird? [Re: Parrish]
Parrish Offline
Regular

Man, I know I gotta figure out somthing. This stinks.

They are to young to be mating so far so atleast I have some time to figure it out.

Maybe I'll just get rid of my gf. That would clear up enough space in my room for a new cage.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Latest Posts
Female won't feed babies HELP!
by nopqrs876950
Yesterday at 01:29 AM
The Lucky Cat
by rstuvw579648
12/06/17 05:07 PM
How to Express Birthday Greetings?
by rstuvw579648
12/06/17 05:05 PM
Wing Flipping
by rstuvw579648
12/06/17 05:04 PM
10 Things Every Amateur Football Team Will Need
by nopqrs876950
12/06/17 12:05 AM
porcelain cyanotype ornament designs
by rstuvw579648
12/02/17 12:10 AM
kittens
by Lisa Shea
11/29/17 11:56 PM
Matthew 12:40
by nopqrs876950
11/29/17 11:12 PM
Meditate
by Lisa Shea
11/29/17 10:54 PM
In Dire need of Advice...
by rstuvw579648
11/28/17 06:40 PM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site