My violet female budgie
my cage
two blues
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Child Health Site
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#181924 - 05/15/07 05:29 PM I Don't Want To Do This Anymore ...
Sunittles Offline
Soulmate

Do I really still have to apply the Vaseline for mite treatment?
They hate me enough already ...

I mean, think about it!:

1. They have to be grabbed every single frustrating day...
2. I pop their personal space bubble by sticking a cotton swab all up in their faces!
3. They squirm and squirm, but can't break free!
4. They try every way to escape in any way possible (including chewing (grabbing really) the cottonswab with Vasline on it and pulling themselves up n out.
5. Everytime I walk in the ROOM, they freak out, banging all over their cages thinking I'm going to come to them.
6. They ALWAYS perch in the most far away perch from me, the cage door, and where I come in from.
7. I'm losing their trust competely nearly!
8. They HATE me!

Pleeeeeease tell me there's another way to do this!

Sunny still has a tad little bit of scaleyness on the very side of his beak, but Skittle's mites are compeltely gone!
Can't I just do Sunny's for a few more days and be done with it?

I highly doubt it'll come back again or regrow ...

I need comforting, or better yet ADVICE!
It really does feel like my heart breaks everytime my precious babies look at me with such dread, fear, and hatred engraved in their eyes. :[ I feel like crying everytime they freak out!

Rawr. I hate this ...

Please help and thanks in advance!
*sigh*
I really don't know what I'd do without these forums ...

Sunny 9/24/06
Skittles 3/27/07

RIP Snow 3/22/07 - 3/27/07

Add I Don't Want To Do This Anymore ... to Twitter Add I Don't Want To Do This Anymore ... to Facebook Add I Don't Want To Do This Anymore ... to MySpace Add I Don't Want To Do This Anymore ... to Del.icio.us Digg I Don't Want To Do This Anymore ... Add I Don't Want To Do This Anymore ... to Yahoo My Web Add I Don't Want To Do This Anymore ... to Google Bookmarks Add I Don't Want To Do This Anymore ... to Stumbleupon Add I Don't Want To Do This Anymore ... to Reddit
#181925 - 05/15/07 05:32 PM Re: I Don't Want To Do This Anymore ... [Re: Sunittles]
*6 budgie nutz* Offline
Soulmate

Loc: PA
well i dont know what to say ive never been in your situation but i can try to comfort you and say immm soo sorry and hugggggssssssssss.and im sure after all this is over with they will learn to trust and forgive you afterwards. do you have a pic of the mites? ide just like to know what it looks like.

Add Re: I Don't Want To Do This Anymore ... to Twitter Add Re: I Don't Want To Do This Anymore ... to Facebook Add Re: I Don't Want To Do This Anymore ... to MySpace Add Re: I Don't Want To Do This Anymore ... to Del.icio.us Digg Re: I Don't Want To Do This Anymore ... Add Re: I Don't Want To Do This Anymore ... to Yahoo My Web Add Re: I Don't Want To Do This Anymore ... to Google Bookmarks Add Re: I Don't Want To Do This Anymore ... to Stumbleupon Add Re: I Don't Want To Do This Anymore ... to Reddit
#181936 - 05/15/07 05:59 PM Re: I Don't Want To Do This Anymore ... [Re: *6 budgie nutz*]
Joephazonx Offline
Long Time Friend

Loc: Penslyvania
I have never had to treat mites before. Are they clipped? If so take them out even when not applying vaseline. Take them out and making them comfortable. Take them away from the cage into another room so they are not tempted to fly back.

I'm sorry for you.

I've been in the same situation with them running to the back of the cage, and they fly around the cage in a blur of colors and feathers. I've been there. The solution is to "force" them to like you. In other words, take them out and play with them, even if they don't want to. You have to show them that you don't intend to do them harm. Just like you have to give kids a chance to do something, if you don't, then they can't prove they can do it. It's basically the same way. The parakeets aren't giving you a chance. So since we can't talk to them, we have to do it "manually". I know that it sounds kinda mean, but it's the only way to get them to trust you.

If you need help uploading pictures, go to my other post.

I'll bring t up.

Add Re: I Don't Want To Do This Anymore ... to Twitter Add Re: I Don't Want To Do This Anymore ... to Facebook Add Re: I Don't Want To Do This Anymore ... to MySpace Add Re: I Don't Want To Do This Anymore ... to Del.icio.us Digg Re: I Don't Want To Do This Anymore ... Add Re: I Don't Want To Do This Anymore ... to Yahoo My Web Add Re: I Don't Want To Do This Anymore ... to Google Bookmarks Add Re: I Don't Want To Do This Anymore ... to Stumbleupon Add Re: I Don't Want To Do This Anymore ... to Reddit
#181946 - 05/15/07 06:17 PM Re: I Don't Want To Do This Anymore ... [Re: Joephazonx]
Plumb_pudding Offline
Best Friend

Loc: Washinton
oh man, I don't know what to tell you, we don't really have mites in utah. So....but I sympathize with you that it must be stressful, just keep t up, and they'll get over it once your done. WOuld you rather save them and have them be a little mad fr a few days or lose them completely? They'll forgive you.

Kila- 10/5/06 RIP
Makena- 12/14/06-9/2009 (To a Better Home)

#181974 - 05/15/07 06:55 PM Re: I Don't Want To Do This Anymore ... [Re: Plumb_pudding]
Aerial Offline
Best Friend

You can use paraffin oil instead of vasoline and this will be much easier to apply. It disposes of the mite by suffocating it.

Paraffin oil will also help to soften the crusts and to remove them. In addition, the preparations should be placed around the vent and on the wing tips of each bird as the mites sometimes hide in these areas.

If you are putting any oily preparation onto the beak be careful that your bird doesn't swallow or inhale any of it. Use a cotton bud to ensure the oil is placed accurately.

If you can afford it, a vet will give you an excellent script for medication that will remove the mites very quickly and affectively. Letting the birds suffer with it will make things far worse.

#182023 - 05/15/07 08:16 PM Re: I Don't Want To Do This Anymore ... [Re: Aerial]
Fernandez&Lopez Offline
Long Time Friend

calm down, your parakeets will be thankful that their still alive

#182037 - 05/15/07 08:36 PM Re: I Don't Want To Do This Anymore ... [Re: Fernandez&Lopez]
Parrish Offline
Regular

What are mites? And how do you prevent them in the first place?

#182040 - 05/15/07 08:46 PM Re: I Don't Want To Do This Anymore ... [Re: Joephazonx]
Stephanie sweet keets Offline
Best Friend

Loc: Virginia
Originally Posted By: Joephazonx
I have never had to treat mites before. Are they clipped? If so take them out even when not applying vaseline. Take them out and making them comfortable. Take them away from the cage into another room so they are not tempted to fly back.

I'm sorry for you.

I've been in the same situation with them running to the back of the cage, and they fly around the cage in a blur of colors and feathers. I've been there. The solution is to "force" them to like you. In other words, take them out and play with them, even if they don't want to. You have to show them that you don't intend to do them harm. Just like you have to give kids a chance to do something, if you don't, then they can't prove they can do it. It's basically the same way. The parakeets aren't giving you a chance. So since we can't talk to them, we have to do it "manually". I know that it sounds kinda mean, but it's the only way to get them to trust you.

If you need help uploading pictures, go to my other post.

I'll bring t up.

Yeah, Same with me. When I first got my keets. They didn't want to play with me but after a while...they are really tame.

#182057 - 05/15/07 10:11 PM Re: I Don't Want To Do This Anymore ... [Re: Stephanie sweet keets]
Aerial Offline
Best Friend

The technical name for the particular mite involved is called Cnemidokoptes pilae. There are typical lesions that occur in birds with the infection. The everyday term for mite infestation is “scaly leg and face disease”. Large amounts of honeycombed-looking scales and crusts are noticed on the bird's beak, cere and/or legs. The disease is usually transmitted as a result of close contact between infested birds and scabs and debris in their cage. But there is also a genetic predisposition to the condition, as not every bird exposed to an infected one develops the condition. Most commonly vets use a diluted form of a drug called ivermectin to kill the microscopic mites. The drug is given in two treatments. Bird owners should disinfect the bird's cage, perches, bowls, and toys with a common household cleaner to prevent re-infection. Mite sprays sold at pet stores are usually ineffective in treating the condition; have been incriminated in the deaths of some birds. Pest strips can assist in control but should not be hung in the cage.

#182058 - 05/15/07 10:46 PM Re: I Don't Want To Do This Anymore ... [Re: Aerial]
Joephazonx Offline
Long Time Friend

Loc: Penslyvania
whew, sounds like trouble. I hope one of my birds doesn't get this

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Latest Posts
Rise of Gig Economy
by Swati Gupta
Today at 03:43 AM
Gears Steampunk wood palette cyanotype
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 10:52 AM
Training two budgies
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 10:39 AM
Wing Flipping
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 10:38 AM
kittens
by Lisa Shea
11/29/17 11:56 PM
Meditate
by Lisa Shea
11/29/17 10:54 PM
porcelain cyanotype ornament designs
by Lisa Shea
11/27/17 05:47 PM
Lisa Shea Origami in the Blackstone Valley Xpress
by Lisa Shea
11/24/17 07:09 PM
abstract cyanotype grid
by Lisa Shea
11/24/17 04:22 AM
Happy Thanksgiving!
by Edd
11/23/17 06:16 PM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site