two blues
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Child Health Site
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2161 - 12/14/04 07:50 PM clicking noise
helen234 Offline

I have two budgies, Hector and Hercules, both male. Hector has always been this sturdy bouncy little guy, but Hercules is just more fragile, clumsy, and seems to smaller than hector. They are both good weight, but hector just is bigger, they have two of everything and get along great, including with me. The past couple of days though, hercules feet have been really warm and not all the time, but occasionally, he makes a clicking sound and looks out of breath.Then he stops and is fine again. I noticed though that it is generally when he is on my finger and my roommate, who he doesnt know really is around. So is it from nerves? or serious?? Help! I love these little guys.

Add clicking noise to Twitter Add clicking noise to Facebook Add clicking noise to MySpace Add clicking noise to Del.icio.us Digg clicking noise Add clicking noise to Yahoo My Web Add clicking noise to Google Bookmarks Add clicking noise to Stumbleupon Add clicking noise to Reddit
#2162 - 12/14/04 08:14 PM Re: clicking noise
getlow316 Offline
Long Time Friend

Loc: Toledo, Ohio
I would think that if one of your birds are out of the cage and on your finger and a stranger is near, yes, the keet would be nervous. The clicking sound you talk about reminds me of the beak grinding which is a sign of contentment. I remember in the past that some of my keets had warm feet on my finger and I did not worry about it, maybe I missed something that Lisa Might know about. Out of curiosity, how old are your keets and how long have you had them?

Add Re: clicking noise to Twitter Add Re: clicking noise to Facebook Add Re: clicking noise to MySpace Add Re: clicking noise to Del.icio.us Digg Re: clicking noise Add Re: clicking noise to Yahoo My Web Add Re: clicking noise to Google Bookmarks Add Re: clicking noise to Stumbleupon Add Re: clicking noise to Reddit
#2163 - 12/14/04 08:36 PM Re: clicking noise
helen234 Offline

Yeah, its just this isnt beak grinding, its like him panting a and a clicking noise that comes with it. Maybe i'm just paranoid, he doesnt do it constantly, and other than that is eating and chirping and fine, i just want to make sure he is okay. are ther any food you can give a keet to help them gain weight? I would want him to pack on a little to maybe help him out. Not fat, just a little bigger than he is.

Add Re: clicking noise to Twitter Add Re: clicking noise to Facebook Add Re: clicking noise to MySpace Add Re: clicking noise to Del.icio.us Digg Re: clicking noise Add Re: clicking noise to Yahoo My Web Add Re: clicking noise to Google Bookmarks Add Re: clicking noise to Stumbleupon Add Re: clicking noise to Reddit
#2164 - 12/14/04 08:41 PM Re: clicking noise
Alyssa Offline
Soulmate

Sometimes my keet will puff up and look sleepy/wore out and make a popping sort of sound with her beak, and really shes just relaxed. As for panting.. can birds pant? =x But maybe a trip to the vet would be a good idea if you notice anything else. Is he pooping and stuff ok? The popping/clicking sound is a sound of content as far as I know they wouldn't do it if they were upset or something.

#2165 - 12/14/04 08:47 PM Re: clicking noise
getlow316 Offline
Long Time Friend

How long have you had your keets? Did you get them together? How old do you think they are? Did you know that certain keets ARE bigger then others? Helen, I am not a pro but I have had many keets. Lisa is a night owl and will come on later and help you with your questions better then me. The more info you give as above will help. Your first post you sem to talk as if you have had them a long time as you explain their personalities. Just a little more info please! smile

#2166 - 12/14/04 08:53 PM Re: clicking noise
getlow316 Offline
Long Time Friend

The more I think about it I have seen birds pant. I remember one that in the begining of his flying around the house, he was not very good at hitting the mark he chose to land on and had to retry and make a second pass now and then. It ws summer and warm in the house and after he did finally land, it looked like he was panting! His beak was opened and he was breathing hard!

#2167 - 12/14/04 09:01 PM Re: clicking noise
helen234 Offline

Yeah Ive had them about 6 months, so they are kinda teenagers, they were 8 - 10 weeks old when i got them. I work with them every day, I mean they know me really well and I know them so well because I am with them 8 to 10 hours of the day. I have had them checked by a vet a couple of months ago, she said they are both healthy, but hercules is just a lower weight than hector. I watch them eat and hercules gets PLENTY! So i dont know if this is okay or if its a bad sign that he could be more vunerable to illness. The clicking noise is definately when he pants though, he doesnt do it at any other time. I just wanted to know if this was an early sign of respitory illness. Thanks for your help all of you by the way, i love this site!

#2168 - 12/14/04 09:02 PM Re: clicking noise
helen234 Offline

Oh his pooping is fine by the way! smile

#2169 - 12/14/04 09:16 PM Re: clicking noise
getlow316 Offline
Long Time Friend

OK, last question and I'll leave it to Lisa as I don't have a clue to the clicking AND panting question, When does he do this? When a stanger is around? Is it hot? Does he do this for no appearant reason?

#2170 - 12/14/04 09:57 PM Re: clicking noise
helen234 Offline

he does this when he is out on my hand and a stranger is near, so when he is nervous i guess. Otherwise no, he doesnt do it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Latest Posts
Question of the day!
by rstuvw579648
Today at 04:23 PM
bike gear cyanotypes
by rstuvw579648
Today at 04:21 PM
Zuzu and Felix, our two black kittens
by rstuvw579648
Today at 04:18 PM
Happy Halloween, everyone!
by rstuvw579648
Yesterday at 02:20 AM
Youth Soccer And Ring Pops
by gallerr
11/15/17 11:37 PM
Meditate
by Lisa Shea
11/15/17 10:06 PM
Zuzu is a literary cat!
by Lisa Shea
11/15/17 12:28 AM
10 Things Every Amateur Football Team Will Need
by wu yu
11/13/17 01:51 AM
Teaming Up For The Fifa 2010 Soccer World Cup
by Brettt
10/26/17 08:35 AM
Yoga
by Lisa Shea
10/23/17 03:07 PM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site