Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Child Health Site
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#242984 - 01/11/08 11:17 PM Re: Birds won't eat carrots [Re: TheFearlessFour]
gape Offline

http://www.lisashea.com/petinfo/articles/bird_food.html

Could that be the page kfdj was referring to? Apples and cherries and a couple other fruits do have cyanide in their seeds, but I don't think strawberries are one of those fruits.

Add Re: Birds won't eat carrots to Twitter Add Re: Birds won't eat carrots to Facebook Add Re: Birds won't eat carrots to MySpace Add Re: Birds won't eat carrots to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Birds won't eat carrots Add Re: Birds won't eat carrots to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Birds won't eat carrots to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Birds won't eat carrots to Stumbleupon Add Re: Birds won't eat carrots to Reddit
#242986 - 01/11/08 11:22 PM Re: Birds won't eat carrots [Re: TheFearlessFour]
beavers pal Offline

Loc: New Rochelle, N Y
I go to the salad bar at the supermarket and get Beaver a nice asst. of things for about .50 cents that lasts me 2-3 days since I am not big on veggies and such myself.
She eats everything I serve her every day !

Add Re: Birds won't eat carrots to Twitter Add Re: Birds won't eat carrots to Facebook Add Re: Birds won't eat carrots to MySpace Add Re: Birds won't eat carrots to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Birds won't eat carrots Add Re: Birds won't eat carrots to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Birds won't eat carrots to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Birds won't eat carrots to Stumbleupon Add Re: Birds won't eat carrots to Reddit
#243012 - 01/12/08 01:08 AM Re: Birds won't eat carrots [Re: beavers pal]
bfdaj Offline
Best Friend

Yeah,straberys may be okey. but its beter to avoid the risk.

#243014 - 01/12/08 01:12 AM Re: Birds won't eat carrots [Re: bfdaj]
bfdaj Offline
Best Friend

Do stawberys have a lot of vitemins or nutrents?

Edited by kfdj (01/12/08 01:12 AM)

#243029 - 01/12/08 01:47 AM Re: Birds won't eat carrots [Re: bfdaj]
val313 Offline
Soulmate

Loc: Missouri
Here is some proof that strawberries are fine for parakeets.
http://www.lisashea.com/petinfo/questions/a523

http://www.totallybirds.com/a/parakeets.html

One thing that I would recommend is to do organic strawberries and make sure that they are fresh. The reason is non-organic food can have pesticides on them. Frozen berries usually contain added sugar unless the bag specifies that it doesnt. Lots of sugar is bad for parakeets. Fresh foods are always better for your bird than frozen.

Here is the nutritional value for them:
http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/strawberries/nutrition.html

Hope this helps.

RIP Peeps

#243037 - 01/12/08 02:00 AM Re: Birds won't eat carrots [Re: val313]
Cetan Offline
Soulmate

Loc: Michigan
Fresh strawberries are fine; my Sweetgirl loves her strawberries, Sweetboy will eat them a little but Greengirl and Batboy are not particularly interested. Princess, my conure will eat them if I hand feed her. Some fruits, those in the Rosaceae family, chreeys, apples, plums ets have cyanide in their seeds and they are toxic. Berry seeds are alright as are melon seeds (you often find pumkin seeds in the seed mixes) although I wouldn't give them fresh melon seeds. The seeds keets eat are acutally grains (seeds of grasses).

#243201 - 01/12/08 12:39 PM Re: Birds won't eat carrots [Re: val313]
gape Offline

Originally Posted By: val313
Here is some proof that strawberries are fine for parakeets.
http://www.lisashea.com/petinfo/questions/a523

http://www.totallybirds.com/a/parakeets.html

One thing that I would recommend is to do organic strawberries and make sure that they are fresh. The reason is non-organic food can have pesticides on them. Frozen berries usually contain added sugar unless the bag specifies that it doesnt. Lots of sugar is bad for parakeets. Fresh foods are always better for your bird than frozen.

Here is the nutritional value for them:
http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/strawberries/nutrition.html

Hope this helps.

Thanks. Do you happen to know if grocery stores would sell organic strawberries or would I need to go somewhere else for those? I might just stick with bananas for them instead. The skin on bananas would protect the fruit from possible pesticides wouldn't it? Would storing my bananas in a container make them last longer? I know they won't eat very much. I'm sure one whole banana would be enough for two weeks.

#243276 - 01/12/08 05:41 PM Re: Birds won't eat carrots [Re: gape]
val313 Offline
Soulmate

Loc: Missouri
Grocery store should have them. However they are out of season right now depending on where you live. Bananas should be fine. I'm looking up a list of fruit and veggies that are ok if they are not organic. I will post it when I find it.

Edited by val313 (01/12/08 05:41 PM)
Edit Reason: missing words

RIP Peeps

#243324 - 01/12/08 08:06 PM Re: Birds won't eat carrots [Re: TheFearlessFour]
LoveMyBoys Offline
Best Friend

Loc: Illinois
it's okay, mine don't really care for carrots either.

#243342 - 01/12/08 08:47 PM Re: Birds won't eat carrots [Re: LoveMyBoys]
Cetan Offline
Soulmate

Loc: Michigan
Mine wont touch carrots, Ive tried shredded, grated, hanging pieces and the just look at me like "mommy what is that orange stuff", they also wont touch broccole which many keets like but they love corn on the cob and apples and strawberries.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Latest Posts
Black and White Photos
by Lisa Shea
Today at 12:44 PM
blood on the underside of the wings
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 09:54 PM
Cages for parakeet
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 09:52 PM
Getting a cockatiel for christmas...
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 09:50 PM
Meditate
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 09:48 PM
cockatiel sings if you're happy and you know it
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 03:39 PM
Yoga
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 03:35 PM
to clip the wings or not clip the wings?
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 03:33 PM
Fake It Until You Make It
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 03:31 PM
Happy Thanksgiving
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 03:30 PM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site