My violet female budgie
my cage
two blues
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Child Health Site
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#264083 - 02/29/08 04:41 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! [Re: Jessica Rawks]
bfdaj Offline
Best Friend

zk, didn't you say you hate petco once? but yes, calm reactions do get the best results

Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! to Twitter Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! to Facebook Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! to MySpace Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! to Del.icio.us Digg Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! to Yahoo My Web Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! to Google Bookmarks Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! to Stumbleupon Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! to Reddit
#264084 - 02/29/08 04:41 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! [Re: bfdaj]
KimmieD Offline

Loc: NM
Thanks again all! I have already started writing my bit for the paper. Maybe I will post it here and get some feedback before it goes to print. Thanks for that link on reporting animal abuse and Thanks for shredding those petco cards. I can't believe I have spent so much money and supported them all these years. Of course that is our only petstore around here but thank god for internet shopping!!

Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! to Twitter Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! to Facebook Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! to MySpace Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! to Del.icio.us Digg Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! to Yahoo My Web Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! to Google Bookmarks Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! to Stumbleupon Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! to Reddit
#264089 - 02/29/08 04:47 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! [Re: KimmieD]
The_Zookeeper Offline
Silver Star Soulmate

Loc: Rochester, Michigan
I do hate petco, they generally know didly about reptile care and I've seen herps near death before in there. It's sad to see everything set up completely wrong. I'm not trying to say that reptiles are more important than keets, they are all equal to me. the petco by me doesn't seem to mistreat their birds, though I've never seen them come in or anything. with reptiles though, a few degrees of fluctuation in temp or humidity can be a very bad thing. a reptile with improper husbandry can die very quickly.

again, things like this are best carried with a calm mind, freaking out leads nowhere

www.skgeckos.com

#264090 - 02/29/08 04:48 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! [Re: KimmieD]
bfdaj Offline
Best Friend

I can't see how I was supporting petco for so long ether. ever since I got Jess it has be the only store I have got stuff for Jess from.

#264112 - 02/29/08 05:36 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies [Re: bfdaj]
Cetan Offline
Soulmate

Loc: Michigan
Not that I am a fan of Petco but I think it depends on the individual store, the management and the employees. The petco near me seems to take really good care of their birds, there are several people who work there who are always playing with them and they have a Lineolated Parakeet (which is actually from S America and is not related to keets) who didnt look healthy, I mentioned it and when I went back a few days later they had taken her to the avian vet (same ones I use), had complete exams done. Her blood work came back fine and they treated her for a respiratory infection with antibiotics under the vets direction then 3 weeks later took her back for another check up. They know I am concerned about her, she has been there a long time and needs a good home but she is way too expensive at 429. they told me the will cut the price to 248 for me but I am kind of broke now but I feel like this little girl needs a good home so I told them if they do not find a home for her in 2 weeks I will take her.

Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies to Twitter Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies to Facebook Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies to MySpace Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies to Del.icio.us Digg Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies to Yahoo My Web Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies to Google Bookmarks Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies to Stumbleupon Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies to Reddit
#264118 - 02/29/08 05:47 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies [Re: Cetan]
val313 Offline
Soulmate

Loc: Missouri
I agree. It does depend on the store manager and the workers. There are several petwarehouses in town. One is super clean and the animals are very much taken care of even the fish. Then there are 3 others that rival the Petco she mentioned.
However if someone notices something the best thing to do is report it to BBB or the ASPCA in your area. And dont forget to document it.

RIP Peeps

Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies to Twitter Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies to Facebook Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies to MySpace Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies to Del.icio.us Digg Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies to Yahoo My Web Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies to Google Bookmarks Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies to Stumbleupon Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies to Reddit
#264123 - 02/29/08 05:59 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies [Re: val313]
OdinLove Offline
Long Time Friend

That sounds bad, have you said anything about it yet to anyone, I think the human society and the police would not be a bad start?

#264128 - 02/29/08 06:04 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies [Re: val313]
KimmieD Offline

Loc: NM
You guys are right. I cannot speak for every Petco. Just this one. Maybe it was just the ignorant kid who put them in. Maybe each management has the option of how they are bought and transported. I don't know. But I do know that I have admired their budgies every time that I went in ( who couldn't admire them )and yes they always seemed well taken care of. I had just never witnessed how they arrived and how they were discarded before. My main goal right now is to get this Petco to become more humane. Maybe this is a local challenge, maybe not, but If you had witnessed it, it would really haunt you. I just want to say thanks to all as I have read all your posts for sometime and I have learned so much more than any book could teach. Like any child, keets cannot be characterized as each one is so unique. My budgies and I are most grateful. smile

#264134 - 02/29/08 06:09 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies [Re: KimmieD]
bfdaj Offline
Best Friend

I would not judge everyone who goes to petco as bad, but petco is simply not worth supporting.

#264136 - 02/29/08 06:10 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies [Re: OdinLove]
TheFearlessFour Offline
Best Friend

Loc: Maine
I was going to say, I think it depends on the store. The petco I have gone to that is about 2 and 1/2 hours away has a glass enclosure that you can go into and they keep it VERY warm inside this little room. They have wire cages. 3 for keets alone. They have more than they need in the cage BUT not overly burdened for the cage. I would say about 15 per cage. But I like the idea that they have this little glass room and keep it much warmer than the rest of the store. When we were in it last weekend, it was 100 degrees inside the room for the birds to stay warm. There was a noticable difference when walking out of the room and into the main part of the store. I should take a pic the next time we go there.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Latest Posts
Find your Enameled Aluminum Wire
by enameledaluminum
Today at 01:16 AM
porcelain cyanotype ornament designs
by mnopqr354716
12/13/17 02:02 PM
Training two budgies
by mnopqr354716
12/13/17 02:01 PM
Rise of Gig Economy
by Swati Gupta
12/13/17 03:43 AM
Gears Steampunk wood palette cyanotype
by Lisa Shea
12/12/17 10:52 AM
Wing Flipping
by Lisa Shea
12/12/17 10:38 AM
kittens
by Lisa Shea
11/29/17 11:56 PM
Meditate
by Lisa Shea
11/29/17 10:54 PM
Lisa Shea Origami in the Blackstone Valley Xpress
by Lisa Shea
11/24/17 07:09 PM
abstract cyanotype grid
by Lisa Shea
11/24/17 04:22 AM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site