My violet female budgie
my cage
two blues
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Child Health Site
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#264032 - 02/29/08 03:46 PM Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies!
KimmieD Offline

Loc: NM
Hi all, I am new to the forum but needed some advice. My heart is breaking and I'm not at all sure what actions I need to take or even who to speak to about the problem I witnessed. Yesterday when I was at the petstore getting a new perch for my baby snow white, I had the unfortunate experience of seeing how the new little budgies arrived and were placed at the store. Appalling does not even come close. They were shipped to the store in a very small box, there had to have been about 20 budgies shoved in a box about the size of 12"x4". When they opened the box they just dropped (shook the poor babies out) into their new home at the store from about 8 feet up. Out of 20, nine were seriously injured. 6 had broken a leg or two in the fall and 3 just fell to the bottom and laid motionless breathing heavily on their stomachs. Of course I raised hell, called management over and made them watch. I took a few photos with my phone while they were trying to gather up the injured budgies. They retrieved them and put them into a tiny little box on top of each other and took them into a back room. I threw a fit to go and see what they were doing with them but they wouldn't let me and threatened to call the police If I didn't calm down. I know in my heart they just discarded them. My question is--who do I contact about this--there has to be something that I can do or can be done to stop this treatment of the birds. I will never shop there again but that is not enough! I called our humane society and they didn't seem to interested to help. If it had been dogs or cats they would have taken me seriously. Sorry so long but any advice I would appreciate.

Add  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! to Twitter Add  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! to Facebook Add  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! to MySpace Add  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! to Del.icio.us Digg  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! Add  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! to Yahoo My Web Add  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! to Google Bookmarks Add  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! to Stumbleupon Add  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! to Reddit
#264038 - 02/29/08 03:51 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! [Re: KimmieD]
Samiya Offline
Tin Star Soulmate

Loc: California
i will kill them!!!! mad mad mad mad

gosh,the deserve to go to hell, NOW.

repport them now.

Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! to Twitter Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! to Facebook Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! to MySpace Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! to Del.icio.us Digg Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! to Yahoo My Web Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! to Google Bookmarks Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! to Stumbleupon Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! to Reddit
#264039 - 02/29/08 03:51 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! [Re: Samiya]
Samiya Offline
Tin Star Soulmate

oh sorry,welcome to the forum.

Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! to Twitter Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! to Facebook Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! to MySpace Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! to Del.icio.us Digg Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! to Yahoo My Web Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! to Google Bookmarks Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! to Stumbleupon Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! to Reddit
#264040 - 02/29/08 03:53 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! [Re: KimmieD]
pretty bird Offline
Tin Star Soulmate

Loc: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
How awful I would report to the better business bureau for sure.
I don't think I ever would shop there either. I'd write an article and send to your local paper as well.
These people sound like morrons!!!!!!!!!!

My name is Connie

#264041 - 02/29/08 03:53 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! [Re: Samiya]
The_Zookeeper Offline
Silver Star Soulmate

Loc: Rochester, Michigan
write letters to managment officials, boycot the store.... I cant think of anything else at the moment... but that is sick

Edited by The_Zookeeper (02/29/08 03:53 PM)

www.skgeckos.com

#264042 - 02/29/08 03:54 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! [Re: Samiya]
Kariva Offline
Tin Star Soulmate

Loc: Sycamore,IL
call the humane society if that doesnt work call the agriculture department for your state tahts what ive done

#264045 - 02/29/08 03:58 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! [Re: Kariva]
val313 Offline
Soulmate

Loc: Missouri
Send those pics to the local media and call the Better Business Bureau asap.
You can also report them to the ASPCA. Where do you live???

This is a helpful link to help you report animal abuse.

http://www.pet-abuse.com/pages/animal_cruelty/reporting_abuse/pet_stores.php

RIP Peeps

#264046 - 02/29/08 04:01 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! [Re: Kariva]
bfdaj Offline
Best Friend

that is so sick. how could they treat them like that? just dump them out of a teeny box and break there legs? unbelievable. would you mind sharing what store this is?

#264047 - 02/29/08 04:02 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! [Re: bfdaj]
bfdaj Offline
Best Friend

I swear I will never go to that pet store if you tell which one it is.

#264049 - 02/29/08 04:03 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! [Re: val313]
Jessica Rawks Offline
Soulmate

Loc: Somewhere Over The Rainbow...
Horrible.

You should have told them to go ahead and call the police, and to call the ASPCA and BBB, too, while they were making calls.

Report them. That's about all you can do, really.

Welcome to the forum!!

#264051 - 02/29/08 04:04 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! [Re: bfdaj]
KimmieD Offline

Wow, thanks for all the quick replies! You guys gave me some options I hadn't thought of. I am in NM, and no I don't mind saying what store at all--it was Petco!

#264055 - 02/29/08 04:07 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! [Re: KimmieD]
Jessica Rawks Offline
Soulmate

Petco is an abomination to all living things. Hate them. Definitely report them.

#264059 - 02/29/08 04:16 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies [Re: Jessica Rawks]
bfdaj Offline
Best Friend

PETCO! we go there all the time but I will never return! I hate them now! mad mad mad mad mad mad mad

Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies to Twitter Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies to Facebook Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies to MySpace Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies to Del.icio.us Digg Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies to Yahoo My Web Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies to Google Bookmarks Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies to Stumbleupon Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies to Reddit
#264068 - 02/29/08 04:24 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! [Re: Jessica Rawks]
greg_mary Offline
Regular

Loc:
contact PETA tell them the store

#264070 - 02/29/08 04:25 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! [Re: greg_mary]
greg_mary Offline
Regular

Loc:
we wont be going back to petkill

#264072 - 02/29/08 04:26 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! [Re: greg_mary]
bfdaj Offline
Best Friend

I JUST HATE, HATE ,HATE EM NOW!!!!!!!!!

#264073 - 02/29/08 04:29 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies [Re: bfdaj]
greg_mary Offline
Regular

Loc:
<---Mary..I am emailing Petco right now to be taken off their PALS list!! We are shredding our pals cards right now! You should contact a major news network and let them know how the humane society blew you off too. I thought it was their job to be humane.

Edited by greg_mary (02/29/08 04:37 PM)

Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies to Twitter Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies to Facebook Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies to MySpace Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies to Del.icio.us Digg Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies to Yahoo My Web Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies to Google Bookmarks Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies to Stumbleupon Add Re:  Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies to Reddit
#264076 - 02/29/08 04:33 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! [Re: greg_mary]
bfdaj Offline
Best Friend

you have good reason for that too.

#264077 - 02/29/08 04:35 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! [Re: greg_mary]
The_Zookeeper Offline
Silver Star Soulmate

I think everyone needs to calm down a bit. Its no use throwing tantrums like 2-year-olds. writing to corporate or turning them in to the BBB or something like that is productive.
corporate WILL take notice if they get multiple e-mails from people saying they are boycotting the store because of poor treatment of animals.

www.skgeckos.com

#264079 - 02/29/08 04:37 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! [Re: The_Zookeeper]
Jessica Rawks Offline
Soulmate

Ahh...Sam. Forever the voice of reason!

I agree, though. Calm, well thought out reactions get the best results!

#264083 - 02/29/08 04:41 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! [Re: Jessica Rawks]
bfdaj Offline
Best Friend

zk, didn't you say you hate petco once? but yes, calm reactions do get the best results

#264084 - 02/29/08 04:41 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! [Re: bfdaj]
KimmieD Offline

Thanks again all! I have already started writing my bit for the paper. Maybe I will post it here and get some feedback before it goes to print. Thanks for that link on reporting animal abuse and Thanks for shredding those petco cards. I can't believe I have spent so much money and supported them all these years. Of course that is our only petstore around here but thank god for internet shopping!!

#264089 - 02/29/08 04:47 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! [Re: KimmieD]
The_Zookeeper Offline
Silver Star Soulmate

I do hate petco, they generally know didly about reptile care and I've seen herps near death before in there. It's sad to see everything set up completely wrong. I'm not trying to say that reptiles are more important than keets, they are all equal to me. the petco by me doesn't seem to mistreat their birds, though I've never seen them come in or anything. with reptiles though, a few degrees of fluctuation in temp or humidity can be a very bad thing. a reptile with improper husbandry can die very quickly.

again, things like this are best carried with a calm mind, freaking out leads nowhere

www.skgeckos.com

#264090 - 02/29/08 04:48 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! [Re: KimmieD]
bfdaj Offline
Best Friend

I can't see how I was supporting petco for so long ether. ever since I got Jess it has be the only store I have got stuff for Jess from.

#264112 - 02/29/08 05:36 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies [Re: bfdaj]
Cetan Offline
Soulmate

Loc: Michigan
Not that I am a fan of Petco but I think it depends on the individual store, the management and the employees. The petco near me seems to take really good care of their birds, there are several people who work there who are always playing with them and they have a Lineolated Parakeet (which is actually from S America and is not related to keets) who didnt look healthy, I mentioned it and when I went back a few days later they had taken her to the avian vet (same ones I use), had complete exams done. Her blood work came back fine and they treated her for a respiratory infection with antibiotics under the vets direction then 3 weeks later took her back for another check up. They know I am concerned about her, she has been there a long time and needs a good home but she is way too expensive at 429. they told me the will cut the price to 248 for me but I am kind of broke now but I feel like this little girl needs a good home so I told them if they do not find a home for her in 2 weeks I will take her.

#264118 - 02/29/08 05:47 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies [Re: Cetan]
val313 Offline
Soulmate

Loc: Missouri
I agree. It does depend on the store manager and the workers. There are several petwarehouses in town. One is super clean and the animals are very much taken care of even the fish. Then there are 3 others that rival the Petco she mentioned.
However if someone notices something the best thing to do is report it to BBB or the ASPCA in your area. And dont forget to document it.

RIP Peeps

#264123 - 02/29/08 05:59 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies [Re: val313]
OdinLove Offline
Long Time Friend

That sounds bad, have you said anything about it yet to anyone, I think the human society and the police would not be a bad start?

#264128 - 02/29/08 06:04 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies [Re: val313]
KimmieD Offline

You guys are right. I cannot speak for every Petco. Just this one. Maybe it was just the ignorant kid who put them in. Maybe each management has the option of how they are bought and transported. I don't know. But I do know that I have admired their budgies every time that I went in ( who couldn't admire them )and yes they always seemed well taken care of. I had just never witnessed how they arrived and how they were discarded before. My main goal right now is to get this Petco to become more humane. Maybe this is a local challenge, maybe not, but If you had witnessed it, it would really haunt you. I just want to say thanks to all as I have read all your posts for sometime and I have learned so much more than any book could teach. Like any child, keets cannot be characterized as each one is so unique. My budgies and I are most grateful. smile

#264134 - 02/29/08 06:09 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies [Re: KimmieD]
bfdaj Offline
Best Friend

I would not judge everyone who goes to petco as bad, but petco is simply not worth supporting.

#264136 - 02/29/08 06:10 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies [Re: OdinLove]
TheFearlessFour Offline
Best Friend

Loc: Maine
I was going to say, I think it depends on the store. The petco I have gone to that is about 2 and 1/2 hours away has a glass enclosure that you can go into and they keep it VERY warm inside this little room. They have wire cages. 3 for keets alone. They have more than they need in the cage BUT not overly burdened for the cage. I would say about 15 per cage. But I like the idea that they have this little glass room and keep it much warmer than the rest of the store. When we were in it last weekend, it was 100 degrees inside the room for the birds to stay warm. There was a noticable difference when walking out of the room and into the main part of the store. I should take a pic the next time we go there.

#264137 - 02/29/08 06:10 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies [Re: KimmieD]
Amethyst Offline
Best Friend

oh, how awful! if you ever see that again, you should take the injured birds to a shelter to be loved, if you can. 3bud recently had a bad expirience, but not that bad!

#264139 - 02/29/08 06:11 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies [Re: bfdaj]
OdinLove Offline
Long Time Friend

What kind of work do you do KimmieD, maybe their is an opening at Petco for you in the Avian Department.

#264143 - 02/29/08 06:20 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies [Re: OdinLove]
KimmieD Offline

I am actually a web designer. Although I love my babies-I only have 2(so far lol)I wouldn't think that would qualify me--however, it doesn't appear that at this Petco you need much too qualify. Hmmm, something to think about...............

#264153 - 02/29/08 06:29 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies [Re: KimmieD]
Samiya Offline
Tin Star Soulmate

well my petco is good.evey thing is clean,and they are kind.thank goodness.

#264207 - 02/29/08 07:20 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies [Re: Samiya]
helwati
Unregistered

i would have told them CALL THE POLICE PLEASE DO

you should call the ASCPA go to their website they have a hotline for this kind of thing.

its disgusting these big chains makes me sick ... they have laws and regulations but they disobey them and ucz they are some big corporation they get away with it.

i hate to tell you but they probally broke their necks and trashed the injured birds.

i would have DEMANDED that they let me file a complaint agains the specific employee.

call the local shelter/aspca in your area and raise hell. PLEASE.

knowing me i would of spent my grocery money and bought all of them LMAO i get so PISSED OFF to a degree i cant control myself when i see stuff like this .... id of ended up in jail but by god those birds would of been safe lol

please call the aspca.

#264211 - 02/29/08 07:24 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies [Re: ]
helwati
Unregistered

grrr petco

they are the DEVIL

i got my birds from petco only cuz i felt if im buying birds i should rescue them from evil petco and ill buy my other birds from petco as well so at least i know those birds are safe.

they are truly evil

and its cuz they hire their employees off the streets not caring to train them and the employees could care less that this is a living thing.

i went in few weeks back to get some seeds cuz petsmart was out of the kind i get and i saw the sweetest little gurl lutino sittin on her stomach on the floor.

NOT NORMAL

i told the guy and he was like oh ok and walked off i went after him and yelled LOUD EXCUSE ME .... that bird is HURT you need to help her NOW or i am calling ASPCA and i will plaster pictures of YOU and this bird all over the place.

LOL they picked her up and the manager ( a woman) promised me she had no idea and thanked me and promised she would be ok and would be looked after ...

just makes me SICK ...

#264222 - 02/29/08 07:36 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies [Re: ]
2cuties Offline
Good Friend

Loc: Far North Queensland/Australi...
wow people have had some bad experiences seems that i live in Australia we dont have Petco. I think this situation is very sad and it makes me love my babies even more

Edited by 2 cuties (02/29/08 07:37 PM)

#264231 - 02/29/08 07:43 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies [Re: 2cuties]
2cuties Offline
Good Friend

Loc: Far North Queensland/Australi...
people think that these little creatures have no life or feelings just coz they are birds. Well they DO and it breaks my heart to hear of these things happening . A petstore that i go to sometimes has all this little budgies and they are about 15 of em in this little cage with no toys just newspaper on the floor and a bowl of water and seed . Birds are very precious animals and can be easily harmed .Last night when i fed my dog cal i noticed he was sniffing this baby bird and trying to eat him so i put him in a cage and took him next door where i knew the nest was . he went safely back in his nest and i felt so happy smile I know this does not relate to the topic but if i would have left him he probably would have gotten taken. And it shows that these animals are so precious . Budgies are so small you are afraid you will hurt them coz they are so tiny !

Edited by 2 cuties (02/29/08 07:43 PM)

#264251 - 02/29/08 08:13 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies [Re: KimmieD]
Missy_Welden Offline
Friend

Loc: Ontario, Canada
It's things like this that makes me want to buy every bird I see. So many peple just think birds are birds and like objects so who cares and that they are retarded (I have had sooo many people say that, some who OWN birds themselves). Big chains just hire anyone and half those people are likely just taking the job because they couldn't find one anywhere else. There are some stores that are good, but I can just never tell frown.

It's like people treat birds not like animals but as plants, who cares how you treat a plant...and plants are disposable right... frown

Perhaps you should look into where the closest bird shelter is. I just found out recently there is a shelter just for birds in my new town that seems like a GREAT place for all breeds.

#264257 - 02/29/08 08:27 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies [Re: Missy_Welden]
KimmieD Offline

I know what you mean. Of the survivors there was the prettiest almost all white (but a touch of violet under the wings and at the tips of the wings) I have ever seen. I so want to go and rescue her (she just kept looking at me like ("DO SOMETHING ALREADY")But I don't want to support the store! If we keep buying the birds out of pity, simple economics says this will definately continue! My heart totally overrides my brain at times. I think I need her!!!!

#264259 - 02/29/08 08:28 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies [Re: Missy_Welden]
Stephen Offline
True Blue Soulmate

Loc: North Carolina
I completely agree with you missyswelden. And Amethyst, that was a Petsmart but none the less horrible.

But this abuse is just plain sick, sick sick! Inhumane and disgusting. Zoo, you may not want people to get worked up about this but lord help me, all people with this ever-dwindling amount of sympathy deserve to rot in the bowels of hell. How can you have such a black heart - how can you just throw away a live animal and then just go about your day?

Wow ...

#264276 - 02/29/08 09:01 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies [Re: Stephen]
KimmieD Offline

Ok, quick update: I have contacted the (corporate headquarters) for Petco and spoke to a Communications Representative and They transferred me to someone they said was management but how do I know for sure? Of course they seemed appalled and promised me that they would look into the allegation. I will suprise them with another call later next week to make sure they upheld their part. I have filed a complaint with the BBB online--it's amazing how many complaints a company can actually have before being investigated!! Our petco, not suprizingly, has had numerous complaints.
Our Aspca is the same as our humane society and they pretty much were not interested in what I had to tell them. I asked them what they might do if I called and told them that I witnessed 20 puppies being tossed from about 30 feet up and then the ones who had been injured in the fall just were discarded of? Does no one realize that these birds are smarter than most animals?? I have a german shepherd who is extremely bright and I love him with all my heart, but I haven't yet taught him to talk!!!!!
I am still working on my bit to put in the local paper. I have to be able to reach people who are and who are not bird lovers and this will be tricky. I also have to do it without too much emotion, but enough to make people take notice! Any ideas on some things to write would be appreciated.

#264281 - 02/29/08 09:08 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies [Re: KimmieD]
Stephen Offline
True Blue Soulmate

Kudos to you. What else did the ASPCA say to you?

#264282 - 02/29/08 09:12 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies [Re: Stephen]
helwati
Unregistered

good job smile you are doing the right thing

who exactly did you talk to at the aspca???

you probally talked to some operator or volunteer phone person ... if i were you i would actually go there and show them the pictures and tell them they need to do something about it.

or go to the websites and call the national office and complain.

#264295 - 02/29/08 09:35 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies [Re: ]
KimmieD Offline

They pretty much told me that they had 19 cases to investigate before me and that these cases took priority. I asked them exactly when they could get around to looking in to this and they said that they could not give me an exact date. It was pretty much a blow off. So now, I have an issue with our Aspca too lol. Maybe by the end of this week I will have ruffled everyones feathers in this town (no punn intended lol).

#264314 - 02/29/08 10:04 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies [Re: KimmieD]
Stephen Offline
True Blue Soulmate

Wow, that totally sucks. Our humane societies don't even care. What next?

#264334 - 02/29/08 10:51 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies [Re: Stephen]
missir16 Offline
Companion

Loc: Arizona
That is so sad i feel the same way as helwati, i would buy another one from petco or say petsmart just to rescue the poor thing.

#264336 - 03/01/08 12:17 AM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! [Re: Jessica Rawks]
big bad momma Offline
Copper Star Soulmate

Loc: n.y
depending on where you live there are different animal laws.I would file an official report with the police, aspca and any animal rights group were you live.I also would alert the media.what a horrible way to treat any animal.I hope they get a big fine.

#264350 - 03/01/08 05:26 AM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! [Re: big bad momma]
Stephen Offline
True Blue Soulmate

Yeah, I know locally there is a trouble shoter with ABC 11 News and she goes and helps out people who have had problems with the law and are or are being ignored by the people who can do something about their problem.

#264393 - 03/01/08 08:08 AM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! [Re: Stephen]
missir16 Offline
Companion

Loc: Arizona
Yeah we have that here too.

#264409 - 03/01/08 09:15 AM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies! [Re: missir16]
helwati
Unregistered

wow ... aspca is ussually ready to jump on this stuff .. like i said call the national office ... which is in new york city and complain about your local branch.

call government officials.

#264469 - 03/01/08 12:23 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies [Re: KimmieD]
bfdaj Offline
Best Friend

if you buy stuff from even a good petco you are supporting the bad ones too.

#264474 - 03/01/08 12:27 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies [Re: bfdaj]
IronFront Offline
Soulmate

These are the places you should contact:

ASPCA
Humane Society
Local Media
PETA
POLICE!!!!

#264482 - 03/01/08 12:57 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies [Re: IronFront]
helwati
Unregistered

yea good idea

peta is crazy .. contact them they dont play around

#264497 - 03/01/08 01:35 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies [Re: ]
Stephen Offline
True Blue Soulmate

I have to say I will have to keep buying from Petco and Petsmart merely because I can't drive myself to the few local petstores we have around us. We even have an amazing bird store called the Birdie Boutique, but since my parents will only drive me to those places once in a while, I will still have to buy my main supplies from the chains. Sorry. smirk

#264538 - 03/01/08 03:02 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies [Re: Stephen]
bfdaj Offline
Best Friend

I'm going to try to convince my parents to take me somewhere besides petco for the stuff Jess needs at all costs.

#264547 - 03/01/08 03:10 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies [Re: bfdaj]
helwati
Unregistered

a new pet store opened by us and they sell lots of bird stuff so i might just go there to buy supplies from now on.

#264557 - 03/01/08 03:18 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies [Re: ]
bfdaj Offline
Best Friend

I would go for it. If I can convince my parents to take me to another pet store than I will. But I can sort of see my resolve breaking down as I realize how inconvenient that might be.

#264559 - 03/01/08 03:21 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies [Re: bfdaj]
helwati
Unregistered

yea i just feel so badly for the birds that i want to rescue them:( but as for supplies im for sure not goin there anymore.

and im all for boycotting ... but as a career activist i know how much work that takes and how little effect it actually has ... it has to be a severely massive thing for it to even make a dent.

but on a personal level it does ease the personal consceince so in that its totally worth it.

i jsut wana go buy every single bird they have frown

#264573 - 03/01/08 03:34 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies [Re: ]
bfdaj Offline
Best Friend

I thought that would be a good idea too, -buy as many pets as you can. but they are just going to get more.

#264640 - 03/01/08 04:51 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies [Re: bfdaj]
Cetan Offline
Soulmate

Loc: Michigan
And remember if the Petco near you is allright dont feel like you have to go somewhere else, some stores have good management and employees who are knowlegable and car and some dont.

#264646 - 03/01/08 04:58 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies [Re: Cetan]
bfdaj Offline
Best Friend

thats true some stores take good care of animals and others don't. but when you buy stuff from petco you support petco in general.

#264687 - 03/01/08 06:08 PM Re: Appalled!! Pet store treatment of new budgies [Re: bfdaj]
Samiya Offline
Tin Star Soulmate

but petco is the only good store not far away.i wouldn't know what to do if all i had was my tiny Pet's Choice.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Latest Posts
Rise of Gig Economy
by Swati Gupta
Today at 03:43 AM
Gears Steampunk wood palette cyanotype
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 10:52 AM
Training two budgies
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 10:39 AM
Wing Flipping
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 10:38 AM
kittens
by Lisa Shea
11/29/17 11:56 PM
Meditate
by Lisa Shea
11/29/17 10:54 PM
porcelain cyanotype ornament designs
by Lisa Shea
11/27/17 05:47 PM
Lisa Shea Origami in the Blackstone Valley Xpress
by Lisa Shea
11/24/17 07:09 PM
abstract cyanotype grid
by Lisa Shea
11/24/17 04:22 AM
Happy Thanksgiving!
by Edd
11/23/17 06:16 PM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site