My violet female budgie
my cage
two blues
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Child Health Site
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#307050 - 07/02/08 09:43 PM Re: 'Parrot Fever' Death: PetSmart to Blame [Re: tiger's mom]
*helwa*
Unregistered

Yep .... i have a couple threads on anti petco/petsmart campaigns.

And yes not everyone lives next door to a breeder...but is driving a hour or two really THAT difficult???

It would stop people from just randomly getting a pet they cant care for.

PLus, local shops and breeders go out of business because of petco and petsmart, they cant stay in business with them around.

thats the nature of the beast that is the corporation.

Oddly enough, there is legislation, and guidelines as to how the animals should be treated from breeder to transport to store.

Here is one for ya ... my vet honestly thought max had tuberculosis... she thought it so much that we discussed putting him down just in case ... as you can not test for it on a live bird, it just cant be done.

It is a HUGE public health concern.

We both contacted petco to alert them, which is required by law that we do this.

by law they must stop all sales of ALL animals, and have the entire store checked and cleaned and certified by the healthy department.

wana know what petco said??? both at the store and the corporate office

"hmm interesting... i dont think thats possible. we wont be putting a hold on animals sales for such a small thing"

they didnt give 2 hoots...LMAO .... they kind of did when i hung flyers up all over saying the animals might have TB!!!!

hahahaha

their one and ONLY concern is the bottom line.

I still go to petsmart and petco ... not to shop ... but i pretend im shopping, looking around .. checking out the birds and other animals.

I still see live fish on the floor grasping at life, or smashed and just laying there. I still see sick keets, and other small animals.

i keep a record of all of it ..

Add Re:  'Parrot Fever' Death: PetSmart to Blame to Twitter Add Re:  'Parrot Fever' Death: PetSmart to Blame to Facebook Add Re:  'Parrot Fever' Death: PetSmart to Blame to MySpace Add Re:  'Parrot Fever' Death: PetSmart to Blame to Del.icio.us Digg Re:  'Parrot Fever' Death: PetSmart to Blame Add Re:  'Parrot Fever' Death: PetSmart to Blame to Yahoo My Web Add Re:  'Parrot Fever' Death: PetSmart to Blame to Google Bookmarks Add Re:  'Parrot Fever' Death: PetSmart to Blame to Stumbleupon Add Re:  'Parrot Fever' Death: PetSmart to Blame to Reddit
#307060 - 07/02/08 10:03 PM Re: 'Parrot Fever' Death: PetSmart to Blame [Re: ]
tiger's mom Offline
Good Friend

Loc: upstate new york
"... my vet honestly thought max had tuberculosis... " "... what petco said??? both at the store and the corporate office "hmm interesting... i dont think thats possible. we wont be putting a hold on animals sales for such a small thing"

OMG... that is just plain ignorant/disgusting/STUPID/and dumb! I am a little surprised your vet did not call the CDC.

Gosh, you really went through a lot with little Max, and I give you credit for following through with all of this. Many would have just wanted to walk away.

Add Re:  'Parrot Fever' Death: PetSmart to Blame to Twitter Add Re:  'Parrot Fever' Death: PetSmart to Blame to Facebook Add Re:  'Parrot Fever' Death: PetSmart to Blame to MySpace Add Re:  'Parrot Fever' Death: PetSmart to Blame to Del.icio.us Digg Re:  'Parrot Fever' Death: PetSmart to Blame Add Re:  'Parrot Fever' Death: PetSmart to Blame to Yahoo My Web Add Re:  'Parrot Fever' Death: PetSmart to Blame to Google Bookmarks Add Re:  'Parrot Fever' Death: PetSmart to Blame to Stumbleupon Add Re:  'Parrot Fever' Death: PetSmart to Blame to Reddit
#307061 - 07/02/08 10:06 PM Re: 'Parrot Fever' Death: PetSmart to Blame [Re: ]
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered

Wow... If I were wealthy I'd send buckets of money to you to help sue them, Helwa. ("Send lawyers, guns, and money" said Warren Zevon!)

Their cavalier attitudes are infuriating -- about the animals but also about the possibility of TB!

#307065 - 07/02/08 10:17 PM Re: 'Parrot Fever' Death: PetSmart to Blame [Re: ]
*helwa*
Unregistered

yep they didnt care at all!! not even for their own safety.

My vet told me this the day i hospitalized max and she gave him a med to help with it and said she could give him 48hrs to see if it was TB then we would have to discuss it.

Max passed that night at the hospital.

To this day petco is refusing to pay the vet bills.

they are just evil!!!!!!!!

the did offer me a $12 refund though LMAO

#307069 - 07/02/08 10:33 PM Re: 'Parrot Fever' Death: PetSmart to Blame [Re: ]
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered

Yeah - I remember about them offering you the $12 -- spit on that, eh?

#307078 - 07/02/08 11:14 PM Re: 'Parrot Fever' Death: PetSmart to Blame [Re: ]
*helwa*
Unregistered

well i told them in a rather colorful way that they were welcome to keep their $12

LMAO

#307080 - 07/02/08 11:59 PM Re: 'Parrot Fever' Death: PetSmart to Blame [Re: tiger's mom]
428pm Offline
Long Time Friend

Originally Posted By: tiger's mom
I am doing my (somewhat small) part by no longer shopping at these stores, and encouraging other to so the same. I intend to send back my frequent shopper cards along with a letter to Petsmart, Petco, and Pet Depot.

Ah, but where does it stop? How far are you willing to go?

For instance, how many Hagen pet products do your pets play with, or own? Here in Canada, our equivelant, and just as cruel pet corporation is PJ's Pet Stores, which is OWNED by hagen.

Hagen also breeds animals similar to what is shown in that video about petsmart.

Do where do you draw the line at funding these corporations?

#307081 - 07/03/08 12:06 AM Re: 'Parrot Fever' Death: PetSmart to Blame [Re: 428pm]
428pm Offline
Long Time Friend

btw Helwa.....

In our township, there are laws concerning parvo virus. If there is a case of the virus in kennels, by law, the kennels must be quaranteened for 6 months. Which would take away 100's of thousand of dollars in profit.

Parvo is an EXTREMEMLY contagious, and DEADLY virus that has a 90% death rate. It is HIGHLY, I cannot stress this enough, highly contagiousm and airborne virus.

So when i worked for PJ's, and we had sick parvo dogs come in, (which happened because they were all puppy mill dogs).

Do you think the store reported the parvo like they were supposed to?

nuh uh.

THEY TRANFERRED THEM TO ANOTHER STORE!

And if you are wondering whether they sold them with parvo and put the entire family of the new puppy at risk, yes. Of course they did. Who cares about whether the family buying the dog has pets that will all die, or if they have a baby that could as well. Meh. What's that compared to profits?

#307088 - 07/03/08 03:17 AM Re: 'Parrot Fever' Death: PetSmart to Blame [Re: 428pm]
*helwa*
Unregistered

yes exactly 428 .... and here as well we must quarantine when parvo is found, and here legally... you are supposed to have your pets vaccinated for it in order for that pet to be legal .. but the vaccine isnt always done or stressed.

you would think if it was hazardous to people that people would take more of a concern, out of mere selfishness... but nope

#307141 - 07/03/08 08:46 AM Re: 'Parrot Fever' Death: PetSmart to Blame [Re: ]
Darkness Offline
Soulmate

I mean it is very very sad, but there are no breeders here in northern delaware, I'm afraid of bridges, and I'm a single mother of two. There's no way I can just up and drive two hours plus when I can go down the street. I have rescued many from petstores, rehabilitated them and gave them good homes. But I tell even those people, if something else happens, I will NOT be held responsible as you signed off on taking responsibility.

I love my animals, every single one of them. I think the fact that big chain stores don't have trained people to handle their pets is horrible, but guess what? Everywhere we go, there are people who are not very trained working there and we're risking a lot as well.

I worked at a movie theater, grocery store and trust me when I tell you, you don't WANT to know what goes on with the food that's sitting out there for you to eat. We need to eat though, so...

I think all we can do it pray that when we get our animals, food, toys, anything of those natures that could very well endanger our lives, we must take the neccessary precautions to keep safe. Use our common sense to know what to do.

Then again, George Carlin did say that if Common sense was so common, everyone would have it.

Edited by dentwoboys (07/03/08 08:48 AM)

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Latest Posts
Find your Enameled Aluminum Wire
by enameledaluminum
4 seconds ago
porcelain cyanotype ornament designs
by mnopqr354716
12/13/17 02:02 PM
Training two budgies
by mnopqr354716
12/13/17 02:01 PM
Rise of Gig Economy
by Swati Gupta
12/13/17 03:43 AM
Gears Steampunk wood palette cyanotype
by Lisa Shea
12/12/17 10:52 AM
Wing Flipping
by Lisa Shea
12/12/17 10:38 AM
kittens
by Lisa Shea
11/29/17 11:56 PM
Meditate
by Lisa Shea
11/29/17 10:54 PM
Lisa Shea Origami in the Blackstone Valley Xpress
by Lisa Shea
11/24/17 07:09 PM
abstract cyanotype grid
by Lisa Shea
11/24/17 04:22 AM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site