Budgie Photos
My violet female budgie
my cage
two blues
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Child Health Site
Topic Options
#307973 - 07/06/08 02:53 PM Why won't my parakeets breed?
Miss Sarah Offline

Loc: Tennessee

I have two parakeets, Mint (Green/yellow-male), and Kumo(Blue/white-female).

They're about two years old and my vet confirmed to me that they are indeed male and female.

I've always kept them together and they're quite attached to each other. Especially Mint. He can't stand to be away from Kumo for even a minute.

I was hoping to be able to breed my parakeets, but I'm not sure what's wrong with them. They have been poking around in the nest box I have set up for them, but other than that they seem to be making little progress.

Oh yeah, I also have High-cal grit laying around for them all the time, as my vet reccomended. So what am I doing wrong?

Or am I just being impatient? xD
BunBun-Rabbit
Peekaboo-MaineCoon

Add Why won't my parakeets breed? to Twitter Add Why won't my parakeets breed? to Facebook Add Why won't my parakeets breed? to MySpace Add Why won't my parakeets breed? to Del.icio.us Digg Why won't my parakeets breed? Add Why won't my parakeets breed? to Yahoo My Web Add Why won't my parakeets breed? to Google Bookmarks Add Why won't my parakeets breed? to Stumbleupon Add Why won't my parakeets breed? to Reddit
#307974 - 07/06/08 03:01 PM Re: Why won't my parakeets breed? [Re: Miss Sarah]
SilverRain Offline
Companion

Loc: Odessa, TX
Just give them time, and dont mess with them alot. Remember, The female HAS to be in breeding mode, And by looking at the pic, i can tell you that she is not. Just give them time I guess.

Add Re: Why won't my parakeets breed? to Twitter Add Re: Why won't my parakeets breed? to Facebook Add Re: Why won't my parakeets breed? to MySpace Add Re: Why won't my parakeets breed? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Why won't my parakeets breed? Add Re: Why won't my parakeets breed? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Why won't my parakeets breed? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Why won't my parakeets breed? to Stumbleupon Add Re: Why won't my parakeets breed? to Reddit
#307976 - 07/06/08 03:22 PM Re: Why won't my parakeets breed? [Re: SilverRain]
Miss Sarah Offline

That picture's a bit outdated. She's very fluffy lately and they've been losing down feathers like crazy.

I'll be patient. smile
BunBun-Rabbit
Peekaboo-MaineCoon

Add Re: Why won't my parakeets breed? to Twitter Add Re: Why won't my parakeets breed? to Facebook Add Re: Why won't my parakeets breed? to MySpace Add Re: Why won't my parakeets breed? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Why won't my parakeets breed? Add Re: Why won't my parakeets breed? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Why won't my parakeets breed? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Why won't my parakeets breed? to Stumbleupon Add Re: Why won't my parakeets breed? to Reddit
#307991 - 07/06/08 04:44 PM Re: Why won't my parakeets breed? [Re: Miss Sarah]
OC Mommy Offline
Long Time Friend

Loc: OC, California, USA
Is here cere a dark crusty brown?? The pic looks like it is a tannish color, but you mentioned it is an old pic.

#308018 - 07/06/08 06:41 PM Re: Why won't my parakeets breed? [Re: OC Mommy]
Miss Sarah Offline

Her cere is sort of pink but brownish around the edges.

Edited by Miss Sarah (07/06/08 06:42 PM)
BunBun-Rabbit
Peekaboo-MaineCoon

#308060 - 07/06/08 09:54 PM Re: Why won't my parakeets breed? [Re: Miss Sarah]
ShamRockStar Offline
Copper Star Soulmate

Loc: South Jersey
whoa wait... you vet recommended grit?

find a new vet RIGHT NOW
Parakeets do NOT need grit, there are many other ways for them to get calcium and grit can and will cause crop impaction and DEATH eventually.

You really should read up a lot more on breeding, its more involved then sticking a nest box in and waiting. there are a lot of things that can go wrong and kill the babies and the mom...
*Darcy* 7.2.09

#308220 - 07/07/08 04:01 PM Re: Why won't my parakeets breed? [Re: ShamRockStar]
Stephen Offline
True Blue Soulmate

Loc: North Carolina
Not all pairs of parakeets want to mate with each other, just like most other animals. You can't force a pair of keets to breed -- they may not want to have babies with each other. Personally, I'd be thrilled that my keets have no interest in breeding with each other -- breeding keets is NOT easy be any means and is very very risky.

#308228 - 07/07/08 04:19 PM Re: Why won't my parakeets breed? [Re: Stephen]
Draw_me_a_Bunny Offline
Companion

Loc: Anchorage,Alaska
3Budgies beat me to it but I'll say it again, just because they are male and female doesn't mean they will automatically breed. Thankfully, that's been the case with my keets. I'd love to breed someday but I don't have the time to give to baby keets nor do I have the space necessary if she were to have a large clutch. If you are still interested in breeding there are a lot of good postings regarding it around this site that I'm sure you will find very useful.

#308254 - 07/07/08 05:39 PM Re: Why won't my parakeets breed? [Re: Draw_me_a_Bunny]
Stephen Offline
True Blue Soulmate

Loc: North Carolina
Originally Posted By: Draw_me_a_Bunny
I'd love to breed someday but I don't have the time to give to baby keets nor do I have the space necessary if she were to have a large clutch.

Same here. I'd love for my Jayka to be a mother one day, but I need to have more experience with keets & read up much more on breeding before I do so.

#309009 - 07/10/08 11:12 AM Re: Why won't my parakeets breed? [Re: Stephen]
meg luvs keets Offline
Companion

Loc: somewhere near: Chicago, IL
I know a family with 2 keets one male and one female, and they've had them for a while and there's been no eggs. Plus, you shorten the female's life when you breed her. But, if you still want to breed your keets, id suggest looking around this site and you'll find lots on parakeet breeding. You can also google it and you'll get lots of info too. Good Luck. smile

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Latest Posts
Mystery Story A Day
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 08:03 PM
Meditate
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 04:50 PM
updates and questions on Tweety
by Ashley Horan
Yesterday at 03:56 PM
Server Moves
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 02:17 PM
PHP 5.6.2
by Lisa Shea
10/28/14 11:40 PM
Greatest as well as Least expensive Footwear
by fflleeks
10/26/14 05:04 PM
---Help, I need help--- please
by Kymber
10/26/14 01:41 PM
Light painting
by Lisa Shea
10/26/14 01:36 PM
Salem Massachusetts
by Lisa Shea
10/26/14 12:37 PM
hand-watercolored origami lotus flowers
by Lisa Shea
10/23/14 03:36 PM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site