Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Child Health Site
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#326827 - 09/13/08 07:21 PM of parrots and people
*helwa
Unregistered

http://www.amazon.com/Parrots-People-Fascinating-Catastrophic-Intelligent/dp/0670019690

this is a very good book.

it has honestly a/effected me more than any other book has in a very long time.

it has storeis so sad they make your sould ache and stories so cute and funny they make you laugh out loud while reading.

let me know when you all get the book and start to read we can discuss it chapter by chapter.

if you cant afford it, check out libraries or go have a cup of coffee/tea at barnes and noble and read it in store smile (i do that alot haha)

Add of parrots and people to Twitter Add of parrots and people to Facebook Add of parrots and people to MySpace Add of parrots and people to Del.icio.us Digg of parrots and people Add of parrots and people to Yahoo My Web Add of parrots and people to Google Bookmarks Add of parrots and people to Stumbleupon Add of parrots and people to Reddit
#326831 - 09/13/08 07:37 PM Re: of parrots and people [Re: ]
Jasper's mom Offline
Best Friend

Loc: Michigan
I got this book yesterday smile I started paging through it earlier and got hooked on it midway through!!! I need to back up and start reading it from the beginning. so far it has given me a totally different perspective on 'hand fed' (or hand raised?) babies frown

this would be good to do a group read/discussion with, I'm in if we get one started smile

Add Re: of parrots and people to Twitter Add Re: of parrots and people to Facebook Add Re: of parrots and people to MySpace Add Re: of parrots and people to Del.icio.us Digg Re: of parrots and people Add Re: of parrots and people to Yahoo My Web Add Re: of parrots and people to Google Bookmarks Add Re: of parrots and people to Stumbleupon Add Re: of parrots and people to Reddit
#326839 - 09/13/08 08:33 PM Re: of parrots and people [Re: Jasper's mom]
pinksnowme Offline
Best Friend

Loc: Moreno Valley, Ca
I ordered it yesterday from Amazon. I will gladly join in the discussions laugh

Add Re: of parrots and people to Twitter Add Re: of parrots and people to Facebook Add Re: of parrots and people to MySpace Add Re: of parrots and people to Del.icio.us Digg Re: of parrots and people Add Re: of parrots and people to Yahoo My Web Add Re: of parrots and people to Google Bookmarks Add Re: of parrots and people to Stumbleupon Add Re: of parrots and people to Reddit
#326842 - 09/13/08 08:52 PM Re: of parrots and people [Re: pinksnowme]
*helwa
Unregistered

yea the section on hand feeding is down right heart breaking

#326851 - 09/14/08 06:03 AM Re: of parrots and people [Re: ]
TBJ♥ Offline
Best Friend

Loc: US
I'm going to read this over my next school break... it looks so good.

#327008 - 09/15/08 07:40 AM Re: of parrots and people [Re: TBJ♥]
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

Loc: upstate NY
Yeah it does look good! I'm gonna try to get it too. I think I'll check with library first and maybe they can get it. I LOVE to read and this looks like a winner smile Thanks

#327724 - 09/18/08 10:08 PM Re: of parrots and people [Re: kksuns]
*helwa
Unregistered

anyone been reading ?

#327733 - 09/18/08 11:33 PM Re: of parrots and people [Re: ]
tiger's mom Offline
Good Friend

Loc: upstate new york
haven't gotten the book yet - but i intend to....

#327768 - 09/19/08 05:43 AM Re: of parrots and people [Re: ]
Jasper's mom Offline
Best Friend

Originally Posted By: *helwa
anyone been reading ?

I am. I haven't wanted to say too much about it on here if others are going to be reading it. I am taking it with me camping this weekend, should be able to finish it smile I think I'm on about page 90, give or take.

(and yep, checked supply of tissues)

#327779 - 09/19/08 07:07 AM Re: of parrots and people [Re: Jasper's mom]
*helwa
Unregistered

LOL yea the next couple chapters and just heart breaking.

the last few chapters talk about her going undercover with parrot smugglers. truly eye opening

#327882 - 09/19/08 03:03 PM Re: of parrots and people [Re: ]
*helwa
Unregistered

here are pictures of baby and costa ... the pair i posted about smile

http://www.parrotsfirst.org/Costa.jpg
http://www.parrotsfirst.org/Baby_Face.JPG

#328403 - 09/22/08 03:07 PM Re: of parrots and people [Re: ]
Vincent Offline
Friend

Thank you very much for recommending 'Of Parrots and People'... I'd been looking for some good non-fiction and this was perfect, I read the whole thing over the weekend and I'm really glad I did. I feel very informed now about the pet bird trade and look forward to sharing what I've learned with friends and family.

#328418 - 09/22/08 04:10 PM Re: of parrots and people [Re: Vincent]
*helwa
Unregistered

ur welcome.

the book is a real eye opener. i mean i kinda knew stuff like this happened but the book really clarified it for me.

#328521 - 09/23/08 09:42 AM Re: of parrots and people [Re: ]
Me & 6 Fids Offline
Long Time Friend

Loc: Maryland
y is the print so tiny in this book!!!!!
Lovie(LB)
Shibi-Shibi(LB)
Sunny(LB)
Pauli(LB)

#334545 - 10/28/08 01:21 PM Re: of parrots and people [Re: Me & 6 Fids]
*helwa
Unregistered

anyone finish this book yet ?

#334566 - 10/28/08 02:47 PM Re: of parrots and people [Re: ]
Jasper's mom Offline
Best Friend

Thanks for reminding me! It's in the bag of books I take camping....I forgot all about it! I haven't quite finished yet, not sure how much more to read....

#350984 - 02/06/09 09:18 PM Re: of parrots and people [Re: Jasper's mom]
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered

Just bought this book the other day -- it's extraordinary! I can barely put it down except to grab tissues (really) and then kiss my Pudgie Budgie.

As Vincent said, the information is definitely something to share with friends and family.

I'm only at Chapter 5 right now, so.....I'll be back....

#351068 - 02/07/09 03:45 PM Re: of parrots and people [Re: ]
*helwa
Unregistered

yes its a tear jerker all the way to the end for sure.

#352530 - 02/18/09 10:54 AM Re: of parrots and people [Re: ]
pollyannie Offline
Long Time Friend

Loc: Georgia
I got this book for Christmas.
I go to the doctors office for a Tysabri infusion every month and that is the only place I read it. I am about half way through. Since I only read it once a month, I have about 2-3 months left.
There are usually 30+ other people getting Tysabri at the same time. We all usually talk during the couple hours so I have ended up educating probably 50+ people about bird mills, etc.

RIP sweet Kiwi
2-16-09

#352539 - 02/18/09 12:13 PM Re: of parrots and people [Re: pollyannie]
*helwa
Unregistered

that is really awesome polly smile

yea and honestly reading it in bits and pieces is way better lol its a heavy emotional load and alot to take in if you read it all at once.

#352544 - 02/18/09 12:23 PM Re: of parrots and people [Re: ]
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered

That's great, Pollyannie. smile Slowly but surely maybe more people will be aware of the situation. I'll admit that much of Tweti's book was news to me.

#368531 - 05/24/09 01:30 AM Re: of parrots and people [Re: ]
deepalisnis Offline

Hello,

This would be good to do a group read/discussion with, I'm in if we get one started

Nice work.

[advertising deleted - PDM]

Edited by PDM (06/04/09 07:10 AM)

#368533 - 05/24/09 01:50 AM Re: of parrots and people [Re: deepalisnis]
*helwa
Unregistered

I kind of started one with this post, but it drifted away and people didnt pick up on it smile

id be happy to start again .. i want every human on the planet to read this book !!

#368539 - 05/24/09 07:20 AM Re: of parrots and people [Re: ]
cyberbud Offline
Best Friend

Loc: Naperville, Illinois
Absolutely...Of Parrots and People and Three Cups of Tea (the second not avian related) are must reads!

Kathy

#368554 - 05/24/09 12:28 PM Re: of parrots and people [Re: cyberbud]
Aminah (helwa)
Unregistered

3 cups of tea was fabulous !!

#376794 - 07/23/09 03:50 PM Re: of parrots and people [Re: ]
KittyL Offline

Loc: Tucson, Az
I'm in the middle of " Of Parrots & People". I agree, I think it should be a must read for anyone interested in obtaining a parrot.

#376931 - 07/24/09 02:48 PM Re: of parrots and people [Re: KittyL]
Pudgie's mom
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: KittyL
I think it should be a must read for anyone interested in obtaining a parrot.
Ditto, and hope you are enjoying the book, KittyL. smile

#405133 - 10/08/10 02:08 AM Re: of parrots and people [Re: Anonymous]
helen07 Offline

I haven't read this book. I will economize my money to buy it in the nearest day. Thanks you for your recommendation!

#427505 - 01/06/14 12:22 AM Re: of parrots and people [Re: Anonymous]
architravels Offline

Loc: India
Hi I don't have this book. where can I found this book. please tell me about that.
Thank you,

#427642 - 01/30/14 02:41 AM Re: of parrots and people [Re: Anonymous]
KittyL Offline

Loc: Tucson, Az
Hi Architraves, It is available on Amazon. There is even a Kindle version. The author is Mira Tweti

#427646 - 01/30/14 04:04 AM Re: of parrots and people [Re: Anonymous]
Lisa Shea Offline

True Blue Soulmate

Loc: US
Here's a link to the Amazon copy of the book -

Of Parrots and People

You can get used copies of the book quite inexpensively.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Latest Posts
Question of the day!
by rstuvw579648
Today at 04:23 PM
bike gear cyanotypes
by rstuvw579648
Today at 04:21 PM
Zuzu and Felix, our two black kittens
by rstuvw579648
Today at 04:18 PM
Happy Halloween, everyone!
by rstuvw579648
Yesterday at 02:20 AM
Youth Soccer And Ring Pops
by gallerr
11/15/17 11:37 PM
Meditate
by Lisa Shea
11/15/17 10:06 PM
Zuzu is a literary cat!
by Lisa Shea
11/15/17 12:28 AM
10 Things Every Amateur Football Team Will Need
by wu yu
11/13/17 01:51 AM
Teaming Up For The Fifa 2010 Soccer World Cup
by Brettt
10/26/17 08:35 AM
Yoga
by Lisa Shea
10/23/17 03:07 PM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site