My violet female budgie
my cage
two blues
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Child Health Site
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#369536 - 05/31/09 08:53 PM Is my parakeet sick?!?!?!
Trinket Lover Offline
Regular

Loc: New York.
Okay well my bird is fluffed up right now but he has his head turned around and is sleeping. He sometimes is shakyy and shivery almost like scared? He still grooms his feathers but he lost some brightness? I noticed that when he is breathing his tail seems to bob just a little bit. But what worried me the most was the shivering. Should i be worried.

Add Is my parakeet sick?!?!?! to Twitter Add Is my parakeet sick?!?!?! to Facebook Add Is my parakeet sick?!?!?! to MySpace Add Is my parakeet sick?!?!?! to Del.icio.us Digg Is my parakeet sick?!?!?! Add Is my parakeet sick?!?!?! to Yahoo My Web Add Is my parakeet sick?!?!?! to Google Bookmarks Add Is my parakeet sick?!?!?! to Stumbleupon Add Is my parakeet sick?!?!?! to Reddit
#369543 - 05/31/09 09:10 PM Re: Is my parakeet sick?!?!?! [Re: Trinket Lover]
BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate

Loc: NE Oklahoma
Actually you should be worried, more about the tail bobbing when he breathes. Bobbing could be a sign of a respatory infection. It would also go along with the shivering. If Trinket is sick she will be cold hence the shivering. I would suggest a vet visit soon.

I also would take some actions right now to keep her warm.

Add Re: Is my parakeet sick?!?!?! to Twitter Add Re: Is my parakeet sick?!?!?! to Facebook Add Re: Is my parakeet sick?!?!?! to MySpace Add Re: Is my parakeet sick?!?!?! to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Is my parakeet sick?!?!?! Add Re: Is my parakeet sick?!?!?! to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Is my parakeet sick?!?!?! to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Is my parakeet sick?!?!?! to Stumbleupon Add Re: Is my parakeet sick?!?!?! to Reddit
#369545 - 05/31/09 09:20 PM Re: Is my parakeet sick?!?!?! [Re: BLR]
Trinket Lover Offline
Regular

okay. the reason i was confused was that she seems completely fine. like she is playing with her toys and chirping, and seems content. SHe does seem to fluff up and then shake and go back to normal size alot. is there a reason behind this?

Add Re: Is my parakeet sick?!?!?! to Twitter Add Re: Is my parakeet sick?!?!?! to Facebook Add Re: Is my parakeet sick?!?!?! to MySpace Add Re: Is my parakeet sick?!?!?! to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Is my parakeet sick?!?!?! Add Re: Is my parakeet sick?!?!?! to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Is my parakeet sick?!?!?! to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Is my parakeet sick?!?!?! to Stumbleupon Add Re: Is my parakeet sick?!?!?! to Reddit
#369548 - 05/31/09 09:24 PM Re: Is my parakeet sick?!?!?! [Re: Trinket Lover]
BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate

is she bobbing when she is breathing. If she is that means she is having to work at breathing, like when you have a stuffed up nose. If she is having trouble breathing she has a problem.

The will hide any illness as long as they can. They will do their best to act normal.

#369549 - 05/31/09 09:29 PM Re: Is my parakeet sick?!?!?! [Re: BLR]
Trinket Lover Offline
Regular

she has been sneezing a little bit more than normal.
she seems crabby too. I was working at getting her used
to me some more, and she bit me. hard enough to make me bleed.
And i didnt yank away because your not supposed to so she bit me for a good minute and im still bleeding o_O
But yeah, im worried. How can you keep an obsitnant bird warm?
like what should i do?

#369552 - 05/31/09 09:36 PM Re: Is my parakeet sick?!?!?! [Re: Trinket Lover]
BLR Offline
Copper Star Soulmate

cover her cage on three sides and the top. One thing that works is to put a heating pad under her cage. It will create heat without her having access to chew it or poop on it. If you have a thermometer you can put in her cage to know what the temp is you can get it a nice cozy 78 degrees. I use a thermometer from a fish tank, works great. You should call you vet.

Is there any draft or air conditioner that blows on her?

#369555 - 05/31/09 09:43 PM Re: Is my parakeet sick?!?!?! [Re: BLR]
Trinket Lover Offline
Regular

There is no fan or airconditioner blowing at all. I don't think we have a heating pad anymore. We used to but something happened to it. I have covered her cage, and she is sleeping. well..shes all fluffed up with her eyes closed. and appears to be sleeping.

#369558 - 05/31/09 09:47 PM Re: Is my parakeet sick?!?!?! [Re: Trinket Lover]
AllieD Offline
Companion

Loc: California, USA
Keep her well covered, preferably with a heavier blanket, to keep out the drafts. It also helps to wrap the blanket around the cage and hold it closed with a clothes pin or a paper clip laugh

Definitely take her to the vet, just to be safe.

Sometimes shivering and poofing out are normal behaviors (like when they just wake up or to flatten out their feathers). But BLR is very right, parakeets will try to hide an illness as best and as long as they can. If she's eating/drinking normally, playing and talking, and her poo is normal, then I wouldn't be dreadfully concerned. But take her to the vet ASAP to be safe! If it's an URI (upper respiratory infection), than catching it early and following the vet's instructions will fix it. Is there any discharge from her nostrils?

#369564 - 05/31/09 09:52 PM Re: Is my parakeet sick?!?!?! [Re: AllieD]
Trinket Lover Offline
Regular

Her poo is normal, and she is doing everything normally.
I looked at her nose. at first it didnt look like it. it still looks like there isnt but it almost looks like there might be a little bit of crusty on her nostrils? Im NOT positive though. And when i tried to check she bit the xxxx out of my finger. so I dont really know how to check without getting visciously bitten.

Edited by PDM (06/03/09 07:26 PM)

#369566 - 05/31/09 09:54 PM Re: Is my parakeet sick?!?!?! [Re: Trinket Lover]
AllieD Offline
Companion

Loc: California, USA
Then I would take her to the avian vet, straightaway. He/She will be able to tell you for sure--it's the safest way. Also, is the biting normal, or has she just recently started this since she's been "sick"?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Latest Posts
New keet!
by Jacquie
Yesterday at 07:07 AM
Good Morning!
by Jacquie
Yesterday at 06:32 AM
Perches
by Jacquie
04/14/14 06:32 PM
HELP
by jilly
04/12/14 07:48 PM
Egg Laying
by Jacquie
04/11/14 06:12 PM
Yoga
by jilly
04/10/14 05:38 PM
Recycling toothpaste tubes
by jilly
04/10/14 05:35 PM
Watercoloring Flowers
by jilly
04/10/14 05:23 PM
Planting Saffron
by jilly
04/10/14 05:21 PM
Love is Patient, Love is Kind Origami Lotus
by jilly
04/10/14 05:19 PM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site