two blues
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Child Health Site
Topic Options
#377917 - 07/31/09 10:31 AM Parakeet holding out his wings what does that meen
kimgis Offline

Hi,
My parakeet is about 6months old and recently started holding his wings out like an eagle does. He seems to be fine playing, eating, poop is fine. Is it because he is scared or feels threatend? We have had him for about 2mths, comes out of the cage. Is he getting sick?
Please help?

Thanks Kim

Add Parakeet holding out his wings what does that meen to Twitter Add Parakeet holding out his wings what does that meen to Facebook Add Parakeet holding out his wings what does that meen to MySpace Add Parakeet holding out his wings what does that meen to Del.icio.us Digg Parakeet holding out his wings what does that meen Add Parakeet holding out his wings what does that meen to Yahoo My Web Add Parakeet holding out his wings what does that meen to Google Bookmarks Add Parakeet holding out his wings what does that meen to Stumbleupon Add Parakeet holding out his wings what does that meen to Reddit
#377918 - 07/31/09 10:38 AM Re: Parakeet holding out his wings what does that meen [Re: kimgis]
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

Loc: upstate NY
How long does he hold them out? Is he just stretching his wings? Is he stretching them way out or just holding them away from his body? Sometimes they do that if they're hot.
Or maybe he's moulting and has pins coming in under his wings and it's uncomfortable?

Add Re: Parakeet holding out his wings what does that meen to Twitter Add Re: Parakeet holding out his wings what does that meen to Facebook Add Re: Parakeet holding out his wings what does that meen to MySpace Add Re: Parakeet holding out his wings what does that meen to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Parakeet holding out his wings what does that meen Add Re: Parakeet holding out his wings what does that meen to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Parakeet holding out his wings what does that meen to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Parakeet holding out his wings what does that meen to Stumbleupon Add Re: Parakeet holding out his wings what does that meen to Reddit
#377919 - 07/31/09 10:47 AM Re: Parakeet holding out his wings what does that meen [Re: kksuns]
kimgis Offline

he holds them away from his body for about a minute or so, enough to wonder what he is doing. I thought it was a frightend response because it happens after he is out of the cage for a little while and my kids are playing with him alot. Then when we put him on his cage to relax he does it sometimes.

Add Re: Parakeet holding out his wings what does that meen to Twitter Add Re: Parakeet holding out his wings what does that meen to Facebook Add Re: Parakeet holding out his wings what does that meen to MySpace Add Re: Parakeet holding out his wings what does that meen to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Parakeet holding out his wings what does that meen Add Re: Parakeet holding out his wings what does that meen to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Parakeet holding out his wings what does that meen to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Parakeet holding out his wings what does that meen to Stumbleupon Add Re: Parakeet holding out his wings what does that meen to Reddit
#377921 - 07/31/09 10:50 AM Re: Parakeet holding out his wings what does that meen [Re: kimgis]
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

Sometimes it can be a sign of being threatened/scared too.

#377922 - 07/31/09 10:58 AM Re: Parakeet holding out his wings what does that meen [Re: kksuns]
kimgis Offline

ok I have to keep an eye on the kids and how they interact with him and see if he still does it, But you don't think he is sick?

Thanks for your help

Kim

p.s. how do i post a pic maybe I can show you what he is doing?

#377925 - 07/31/09 11:37 AM Re: Parakeet holding out his wings what does that meen [Re: kimgis]
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

I don't think he's sick,I think maybe he's just stressed or scared , but I'm no expert smile
I'm sure others will be on soon and may have more insight

To post a pic open an account on photobucket.com (free) Then upload your pics. To post here you will want to resize to preset size large. Click on the IMG code that is next to or under the pic you want to use. It should auto copy it, then come here to your post and right click and click paste.
If you have any problems just holler and someone will try to help smile

#377945 - 07/31/09 03:18 PM Re: Parakeet holding out his wings what does that meen [Re: kksuns]
Jasper's mom Offline
Best Friend

Loc: Michigan
Jasper will do that also after he has been flying around, I think it is how they cool off. He also will do it when he's in new surroundings, or I put something new in his cage. So yeah, it's also when they are feeling scared or unsure of things (like a new big bad toy, lol) As long as he's not doing it all the time he should be ok. Is it possible a little too warm in your house? Also make sure the kids aren't being too rough with him, he's still a baby and even after 2 months he might not be totally comfortable with them. Some birds take longer to get used to their environment (and being handled) than others do. (some are never comfortable around people, but the majority do come around)

I would keep an eye on him and the kids. And make sure he is feeling safe and secure (and not being forced to play when he doesn't want to)

#377998 - 07/31/09 07:58 PM Re: Parakeet holding out his wings what does that meen [Re: Jasper's mom]
Darkness Offline
Soulmate

My flock does this when they're are hot. So that's what I'm thinking.

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Latest Posts
First time parakeet owner!!
by Allegra
2 seconds ago
Almost new parakeet
by Olive Oil
Today at 04:33 AM
Meditate
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 04:53 PM
Specific and classy sport shoes
by JoeLegoullon
Yesterday at 04:44 PM
Editing a Novel
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 03:58 PM
First Line Indent
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 02:53 PM
if I'm awake early, at least I've got some pals
by IndigoWings
Yesterday at 01:19 PM
Question of the day!
by IndigoWings
Yesterday at 01:18 PM
Anyone play World of Warcraft?
by MrsIndigo
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
New budgie!
by MrsIndigo
Yesterday at 12:55 PM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site