Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Child Health Site
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#383216 - 09/06/09 11:22 AM My parakeet laid an egg without a nest
Minerva Offline

Loc: Tucson, Az
My parakeet laid an egg at the bottom of the cage without a nest or nesting box, can I handle the egg and give her a nest so that she's more comfortable? If the egg hatches the baby bird can't just be at the bottom of the cage, he would get hurt. What should I do?

Add My parakeet laid an egg without a nest to Twitter Add My parakeet laid an egg without a nest to Facebook Add My parakeet laid an egg without a nest to MySpace Add My parakeet laid an egg without a nest to Del.icio.us Digg My parakeet laid an egg without a nest Add My parakeet laid an egg without a nest to Yahoo My Web Add My parakeet laid an egg without a nest to Google Bookmarks Add My parakeet laid an egg without a nest to Stumbleupon Add My parakeet laid an egg without a nest to Reddit
#383219 - 09/06/09 11:40 AM Re: My parakeet laid an egg without a nest [Re: Minerva]
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

Loc: upstate NY
I think it's ok to handle the egg as long as you wash your hands really well first so that the oils from your hand don't get on the egg. Not that it would keep the mom from taking care of the egg, but because the oils from your hand could harm the egg.
You can try to provide a nest box and nesting materials for mom to put in it.
Do you want her to lay eggs and have babies? Are you prepared for babies and done your research?
Has your female actually mated with a male or is she just laying unfertile eggs? Frequent egg laying can be bad for your bird.
Make sure you provide plenty of calcium for your laying female. Hard boiled egg chopped up with the shell is a good source of calcium. Make sure she has access to a cuttle bone and you can even scrape some cuttle bone into her seed.

Add Re: My parakeet laid an egg without a nest to Twitter Add Re: My parakeet laid an egg without a nest to Facebook Add Re: My parakeet laid an egg without a nest to MySpace Add Re: My parakeet laid an egg without a nest to Del.icio.us Digg Re: My parakeet laid an egg without a nest Add Re: My parakeet laid an egg without a nest to Yahoo My Web Add Re: My parakeet laid an egg without a nest to Google Bookmarks Add Re: My parakeet laid an egg without a nest to Stumbleupon Add Re: My parakeet laid an egg without a nest to Reddit
#383226 - 09/06/09 12:13 PM Re: My parakeet laid an egg without a nest [Re: kksuns]
peepers14 Offline
Great Friend

is the bird housed with a male? if not than it is unfertile. to check this first you wash your hands and get a flashlight and put it on the other side of the egg. if you dont see anyhthing than it is unfertile. if you do see something... congrads.

Add Re: My parakeet laid an egg without a nest to Twitter Add Re: My parakeet laid an egg without a nest to Facebook Add Re: My parakeet laid an egg without a nest to MySpace Add Re: My parakeet laid an egg without a nest to Del.icio.us Digg Re: My parakeet laid an egg without a nest Add Re: My parakeet laid an egg without a nest to Yahoo My Web Add Re: My parakeet laid an egg without a nest to Google Bookmarks Add Re: My parakeet laid an egg without a nest to Stumbleupon Add Re: My parakeet laid an egg without a nest to Reddit
#383243 - 09/06/09 01:08 PM Re: My parakeet laid an egg without a nest [Re: Minerva]
Minerva Offline

Loc: Tucson, Az
Thank you for the responses, I am doing my research now since the deed has been done, I do have a pair and they have been lovemaking so I'm sure the egg is a fertile one. I give her cuttle bone but she is the least curious anytime I give her extra foods, I'll try the hard boiled egg though.

#383259 - 09/06/09 03:13 PM Re: My parakeet laid an egg without a nest [Re: Minerva]
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

Keep trying because extra calcium is VERY important fior healthy eggs and healthy mom smile
Good luck!

#403385 - 07/22/10 01:19 AM Re: My parakeet laid an egg without a nest [Re: kksuns]
Lizzylove Offline

How old do the parakeets need to be before having chicks???? please answer!

#403391 - 07/22/10 10:48 AM Re: My parakeet laid an egg without a nest [Re: Lizzylove]
garrettleeheikes Offline
Friend

they r sposed to be at least a year i think, but alot of times they have clutches before that

#403392 - 07/22/10 10:59 AM Re: My parakeet laid an egg without a nest [Re: garrettleeheikes]
Lizzylove Offline

Well I have 2 and they are a girl and a boy I am pretty sure. I don't know how old they are though. HOw do you know how old they are??

#403396 - 07/22/10 02:55 PM Re: My parakeet laid an egg without a nest [Re: Lizzylove]
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

Hi Lizzylove,
garrettlee is right, they should be AT LEAST a year old before breeding. They are way to immature before that, there are health risks, and if too young they are less apt to be able to take care of the chicks properly.
Do things to DISCOURAGE breeding, do not encourage it!!
Before you even THINK about breeding keets, you really need to do tons of research, you'll find there is a lot more to it than you ever realized if it's going to be done right and with less risk to mom and babies.

Here's a little something on determining the age of your budgies
http://www.budgieplace.com/age.html

Welcome to the forum Lizzyl. Got pics? LOL

Oh, in the future if you have a question, start a new topic. You'll get more replies that way. This is a very old thread.

#403398 - 07/22/10 03:26 PM Re: My parakeet laid an egg without a nest [Re: kksuns]
Lizzylove Offline

Thanks! well how do you add pictures? I have a yellow parakeet so I don't think that counts? hahaha.. I don't know so I will try to add some pics of them so you can help me!:)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Latest Posts
Meditate
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 04:55 PM
Medieval Romance Novels
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 09:04 AM
Yoga
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 06:55 AM
6 months ago today I found Tweety!!!
by Ashley Horan
08/21/14 07:16 PM
Finding Peace
by Lisa Shea
08/21/14 05:27 PM
Into the Wasteland
by Lisa Shea
08/21/14 10:58 AM
Believing Your Eyes
by Lisa Shea
08/21/14 10:47 AM
Lady In Red - A Medieval Romance
by Lisa Shea
08/21/14 09:31 AM
300 - Rise of an Empire
by Lisa Shea
08/21/14 07:37 AM
Badge of Honor
by Lisa Shea
08/20/14 02:58 PM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site