My violet female budgie
my cage
two blues
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Child Health Site
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#387293 - 10/27/09 11:00 PM Parakeet lost tail feathers.
AngelKeet Offline

Loc: Washington
Hi,
I have a male parakeet that has not been having a very good day. Well to start off at 4 a.m. this morning I heard him screaming, I flew out of bed and ran to his cage thinking that maybe he was fighting with his cage mate. She is female and they have only been together in the same cage for 2 weeks. Well when I got to the cage I took the blanket off the top and he was freaking out flying and screaming all over his cage. He was xxxxxx, and I could tell. Well upon observing what was going on with him, I noticed he was missing all this flight feathers on his right wing. Plus I have noticed alot of his feathers on the bottom of the cage the last 3 days. So i dont know if he is moulting or what. But would moulting cause him to lose all his flight fleathers on just one side?
Ok now to add to his terrible day, he was sitting on my sons shouldr and my son was playing a maze game that all the sudden a scary facce shows up, well my son screamed and blue my ket freaked. Tried to fly but he cant cause his flight feathers on that one side are gone. I looked on the floor and his tail feathers were all just laying there, and he has no tail feathers... =(

Well I removed my female keet from his cage thinking that she is pulling his feathers out.. I dont know what to do, I dont know if she is doing it or what. Also will his tail feathers grow back?

Edited by PDM (11/10/09 06:37 PM)

Add Parakeet lost tail feathers. to Twitter Add Parakeet lost tail feathers. to Facebook Add Parakeet lost tail feathers. to MySpace Add Parakeet lost tail feathers. to Del.icio.us Digg Parakeet lost tail feathers. Add Parakeet lost tail feathers. to Yahoo My Web Add Parakeet lost tail feathers. to Google Bookmarks Add Parakeet lost tail feathers. to Stumbleupon Add Parakeet lost tail feathers. to Reddit
#387294 - 10/27/09 11:04 PM Re: Parakeet lost tail feathers. [Re: AngelKeet]
Ziggy Offline
Companion

Loc: Brooklyn NY
im pretty sure they will grow back iidk about moulting. and im pretty sure u should separate them and see how things go for at least 3 days
lol terrible day for him hopefully all will be find keep us posted if anything

Add Re: Parakeet lost tail feathers. to Twitter Add Re: Parakeet lost tail feathers. to Facebook Add Re: Parakeet lost tail feathers. to MySpace Add Re: Parakeet lost tail feathers. to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Parakeet lost tail feathers. Add Re: Parakeet lost tail feathers. to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Parakeet lost tail feathers. to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Parakeet lost tail feathers. to Stumbleupon Add Re: Parakeet lost tail feathers. to Reddit
#387295 - 10/27/09 11:13 PM Re: Parakeet lost tail feathers. [Re: Ziggy]
AngelKeet Offline

Thanks Ziggy...
I am just worried about him. He really doesnt seem him self today. He looks so different sitting in his cage with no tail feathers. =( Poor baby..

Add Re: Parakeet lost tail feathers. to Twitter Add Re: Parakeet lost tail feathers. to Facebook Add Re: Parakeet lost tail feathers. to MySpace Add Re: Parakeet lost tail feathers. to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Parakeet lost tail feathers. Add Re: Parakeet lost tail feathers. to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Parakeet lost tail feathers. to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Parakeet lost tail feathers. to Stumbleupon Add Re: Parakeet lost tail feathers. to Reddit
#387296 - 10/27/09 11:28 PM Re: Parakeet lost tail feathers. [Re: AngelKeet]
Ziggy Offline
Companion

Loc: Brooklyn NY
no problem im still new over her myself =p
the other members which know a little more then me should be able to give u better answers if anything. i only had my keet for a week from today

#387302 - 10/28/09 01:00 AM Re: Parakeet lost tail feathers. [Re: Ziggy]
cyberbud Offline
Best Friend

Loc: Naperville, Illinois
It sounds like perhaps your keeters need a more gradual introduction. Doesn't sound like a typical moulting. Usually they just lose feathers gradually, they don't just drop off.

Another thought might be an underlying medical condition. How is his poop? Is he eating and drinking?

Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day for him...

Kathy

ps: don't worry the feathers will grow back

#387305 - 10/28/09 02:58 AM Re: Parakeet lost tail feathers. [Re: cyberbud]
P&R Mom
Unregistered

I agree with Ziggy and Cyberbud -- I would definitely separate the birds and then let them get to know each other slowly.

#387329 - 10/28/09 02:50 PM Re: Parakeet lost tail feathers. [Re: ]
AngelKeet Offline

Thanks everyone. I have seperated them. He does seem to be doing better today. He is being his talking playing self. His poop looks fine, thats the first thing I looked for. He is also eating and drinking. I was hoping they would get along. Taji the female is calling out for him. But she is so mean..lol Now they were together in the same cage for 2 weeks and this is the first time it happen. I had her for about a month before I put them together. I thought they were doing really well. They would kind of chase eachother around and bounce beeks of eachother. I never seen her myself pull his feathers out. But I am thinking that could be the only logical thing that could of happen. ???

#387350 - 10/28/09 08:47 PM Re: Parakeet lost tail feathers. [Re: AngelKeet]
tealcandtina Offline
Long Time Friend

When a budgie is in survival mode it will drop its tail feathers to get away. I'm thinking thats what happened with your bird. And yes hens can be real mean. They might work it out or never get along. Watch them very closely when they are together.

#387378 - 10/29/09 11:49 AM Re: Parakeet lost tail feathers. [Re: tealcandtina]
AngelKeet Offline

Thanks.
So since that was the first time she had done this to him. Do you think that maybe she was having a bad day? Cause I have never seen her do it before. Blue the male didnt seeem to like her much after it happen he was just kinda keeping to his self. I am still keeping them seperated.

#387395 - 10/29/09 04:47 PM Re: Parakeet lost tail feathers. [Re: AngelKeet]
baby blue Offline
Soulmate

Loc: alberta, canada
i think i would keep them apart a while longer, take "inventory" of his primary and secondary feathers then let them play together for a while and supervise. it is odd for a keet to actually rip the primary feathers out of another cage mate. it does happen but there is usually an EXTREME case of "personality conflict". watch them closely when they are together, that way you can "catch her in the act" and then you have the answer to the question. if after a while, you see that she is not doing it, then it is time to move on and look for the next possible cause.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Latest Posts
budgie bonding again
by keerthi
Today at 09:11 PM
Aspen Allegations
by Lisa Shea
Today at 06:34 PM
Meditate
by Lisa Shea
Today at 05:02 PM
Tadpoles
by Lisa Shea
Today at 04:26 PM
Yoga
by Lisa Shea
Today at 01:47 PM
How do I train 2 Parakeets
by Kymber
Today at 10:06 AM
ASICS Tennis Shoes Review - Wonderful and Durable
by kenneth
Yesterday at 05:15 PM
New Sci-Fi Novel
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 07:40 AM
Reddit
by Lisa Shea
07/26/14 12:10 PM
Miserable and Guilt Ridden
by Carol82
07/26/14 10:50 AM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site