My violet female budgie
my cage
two blues
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Child Health Site
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#402398 - 06/15/10 04:52 PM Re: Our outdoor bird cage & the babies in the morning [Re: protogere]
protogere Offline
Companion

LoL at your PS, you sound like me with a million edits!
When my girls were little and had rabbits we had lost one while they were out on the screened in porch as a cat had scaled up past my 4 foot high lattice to get to the part of the porch that was only vinyl screening and with a single paw stroke he sliced the screen and was in with the rabbit in his mouth before the girls could even react or scream. So when we started this one that was one of my first stipulations, using aluminium screening, plus the chicken wire, then another layer of the screen. And since rabbits burrow, I had him do the same with the floor as well and we had planned to fill it in with top soil.
We're still contemplating getting a rabbit but I am not sure how it will interact with the birds, or they it. The vet seems to believe they won't have any issues as neither will eat meat and the birds can fly away if they feel threatened - but I have hesitations. We'll see.

Add Re: Our outdoor bird cage & the babies in the morning to Twitter Add Re: Our outdoor bird cage & the babies in the morning to Facebook Add Re: Our outdoor bird cage & the babies in the morning to MySpace Add Re: Our outdoor bird cage & the babies in the morning to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Our outdoor bird cage & the babies in the morning Add Re: Our outdoor bird cage & the babies in the morning to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Our outdoor bird cage & the babies in the morning to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Our outdoor bird cage & the babies in the morning to Stumbleupon Add Re: Our outdoor bird cage & the babies in the morning to Reddit
#403103 - 07/09/10 10:43 PM Re: Our outdoor bird cage & the babies in the morning [Re: protogere]
Stickman Offline

Mrs.Protogere,
I am new to this site and must say I am really enjoying it and have learned a lot of stuff. I also live in "The Sunshine State," and agree with the weather you described. It was a cool 99 degrees today here in N.Fla (palatka near st.augustine, but we did have several weeks of 15 to 20 degree temps. this past winter. I wasb wondering if its ok to build a fully enclosed aviary and use heaters/ac units to control the "climate?" I only have 1 budgie right now after not having any birds for over 15 years. When i got married my wife quickly informed me that NO birds are gonna be in our house. Now she plays with Chill more than me, and is trying to teach him to talk. Shes in love HA-Ha my plan worked.Being that i only have 1 bird is it even feasible to build a large outdoor aviary. I already have a much larger "restraint dwelling" (sounds better then CAGE) that he uses when I go outside in the evenings and read. Just wondering?
Also just by reading your post you sound very informed and cautious on this subject. I did want to bring up PEST CONTROL, mosquito control, and Eastern Equine Encephalitis. Not sure if you have thought about the 1st 2 or if you use a private pest control, but if so inform them of your birds and make it clear that NO spraying done until birds are safe. Cant do anything about mosquito CTRL,and the EEE they use chickens as "sentinal birds" to monitor these and other mosquito borne illness. Imagine 'keets are at risk to. Sorry so long My ADHD is running wild tonite.

Add Re: Our outdoor bird cage & the babies in the morning to Twitter Add Re: Our outdoor bird cage & the babies in the morning to Facebook Add Re: Our outdoor bird cage & the babies in the morning to MySpace Add Re: Our outdoor bird cage & the babies in the morning to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Our outdoor bird cage & the babies in the morning Add Re: Our outdoor bird cage & the babies in the morning to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Our outdoor bird cage & the babies in the morning to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Our outdoor bird cage & the babies in the morning to Stumbleupon Add Re: Our outdoor bird cage & the babies in the morning to Reddit
#403111 - 07/10/10 11:04 AM Re: Our outdoor bird cage & the babies in the morn [Re: Stickman]
Kymber Offline
Friend

Loc: Van Nuys, Calif.
I'd rather have someone with ADHD that posts a lot of good information and expresses legitimate concerns than someone who posts two sentences of one-syllable words, saying nothing.

That's my way of saying welcome, Stickman. smile

As far as your questions about an outdoor aviary: If you are planning to have lots of budgies, that's probably a better option than trying to keep them indoors. Just make sure you have covered these key points:
  • Make sure the aviary is constructed of keet-safe wood, and hasn't been chemically treated. If it were me, I wouldn't paint the inside wood, only the outside.
  • A totally enclosed structure isn't really as good for budgies as one constructed with fine wire mesh. The whole point of the aviary is for them to get fresh air (and I would also be concerned about venting for a heater).
  • However, you will want to check the prevailing wind and locate the aviary so any drafty breezes don't rush through the entire structure, just corners or small sections. Make sure there are areas sheltered from wind so if it really starts blowing the birds can take refuge from it (if you can put a living tree of a leafy type that isn't poisonous to budgies, they'll naturally gravitate to it to perch when it gets too windy). Believe me, you won't have to worry about A/C if you do this part right; your little ones will find cool places when they need them.
  • Cover the floor area with something budgie-friendly. If not a solid wood or linoleum floor, a thick coat of wood chips is good. You don't want them ingesting dirt.
  • Make sure there are multiple food dishes and water bottles. In an aviary, every bird is going to want to find his or her own favorite feeding spot.
  • Design the aviary with a double-door entry compartment, so you can enter without opening a door directly to the outside. Better to have the inconvenience of having to open and close the outside door before opening the one to the aviary itself than to run the risk of someone getting out.

Feel free to ask us more questions.

Add Re: Our outdoor bird cage & the babies in the morn to Twitter Add Re: Our outdoor bird cage & the babies in the morn to Facebook Add Re: Our outdoor bird cage & the babies in the morn to MySpace Add Re: Our outdoor bird cage & the babies in the morn to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Our outdoor bird cage & the babies in the morn Add Re: Our outdoor bird cage & the babies in the morn to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Our outdoor bird cage & the babies in the morn to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Our outdoor bird cage & the babies in the morn to Stumbleupon Add Re: Our outdoor bird cage & the babies in the morn to Reddit
#403115 - 07/10/10 11:16 AM Re: Our outdoor bird cage & the babies in the morn [Re: Kymber]
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

Loc: Massachusetts
Thats exactly what i did with my outdoor aviary as i think i posted earlier somewhere here...the DOUBLE DOOR..veryy good to do...i just put a sheet of melmar...cheap stuff especially if you get your lumber yard to sell ya a sheet of what they call seconds..slight damage to a corner...anyway i put a sheet of that on top for shade and also to protect from torrential downpours...worked well...my floor was off the ground..so again i put sheets of melmar inside over the wire which made it a snap to hose off and clean in less than ten minutes...and then would turn the nozzle of the hose to mist and the birds would go wild flying thru the mist lol.

Add Re: Our outdoor bird cage & the babies in the morn to Twitter Add Re: Our outdoor bird cage & the babies in the morn to Facebook Add Re: Our outdoor bird cage & the babies in the morn to MySpace Add Re: Our outdoor bird cage & the babies in the morn to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Our outdoor bird cage & the babies in the morn Add Re: Our outdoor bird cage & the babies in the morn to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Our outdoor bird cage & the babies in the morn to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Our outdoor bird cage & the babies in the morn to Stumbleupon Add Re: Our outdoor bird cage & the babies in the morn to Reddit
#403124 - 07/10/10 04:14 PM Re: Our outdoor bird cage & the babies in the morn [Re: illusive Fantasy]
protogere Offline
Companion

As Kymbe said, I can't imagine enclosing the aviary, it really defeats the purpose of taking them out to enjoy the fresh air and could get drafty or stuffy inside of it with the heaters or fan or a/c.
For mosquito control, as well as critter control, we sandwiched chicken wire between aluminium screening. I don't know if you guys have flyovers up there, but mosquito control flies over at least once a month during the rainy season, sometimes more than that. I've chosen to spray down the wood and screen afterwards to reduce any risk to the birds, though supposedly what they spray is safe for wildlife. Outside of that, we live out in the country, so pest control isn't out of our control.
We used untreated lumber, which will surely warp with time, but I've read too many bad things about using treated lumber to risk it.
For the 'floor' we used cedar mulch and have had no issues. Only once have they even tried to go down to the ground level, and that was when I was trying to ween them off of seed and onto pellets and we were playing the uncle game. I've thought about getting pine chips, as it is cheaper, but they tend to be very dusty when I've used them in my garden whereas the mulch has stayed in place and wasn't dusty.
I've let them stay out during a few rainstorms and sat with them and they were completely un-phased by the weather. They are able to move to a more inward branch and avoid getting wet and not even the thunder or lightning seemed to bother them. But if it is windy, we are right off the river and the gulf and the winds kick up good sometimes...when it has been windy and rainy, I've brought them back inside.
I wish we had thought to do the two door system, though we've not had any issues at all, if we could redo any one thing, it would be that. We do have all of their branches and dishes on the far end of the "cage" and thus they've not ever even been interested in coming near the door.
I wish you luck with it.

#426157 - 03/01/13 05:29 PM Re: Our outdoor bird cage & the babies in the morn [Re: protogere]
JamesTaylor Offline

Pest control is not as easy, importantly in birds. As the wit mosquitoes and bees transferring the germs in bird which is very difficult to control continuously. The transfer through the breath is also happen in some cases.

#426163 - 03/01/13 09:21 PM Re: Our outdoor bird cage & the babies in the morn [Re: protogere]
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

Loc: Massachusetts
please show us where you found this information james...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Latest Posts
Find your Enameled Aluminum Wire
by enameledaluminum
4 seconds ago
porcelain cyanotype ornament designs
by mnopqr354716
12/13/17 02:02 PM
Training two budgies
by mnopqr354716
12/13/17 02:01 PM
Rise of Gig Economy
by Swati Gupta
12/13/17 03:43 AM
Gears Steampunk wood palette cyanotype
by Lisa Shea
12/12/17 10:52 AM
Wing Flipping
by Lisa Shea
12/12/17 10:38 AM
kittens
by Lisa Shea
11/29/17 11:56 PM
Meditate
by Lisa Shea
11/29/17 10:54 PM
Lisa Shea Origami in the Blackstone Valley Xpress
by Lisa Shea
11/24/17 07:09 PM
abstract cyanotype grid
by Lisa Shea
11/24/17 04:22 AM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site