Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Child Health Site
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#411473 - 03/14/11 02:26 PM Im scared to let my parakeets out
!!Mike Mike!! Offline

Loc: Illinios
i need help every time i reach in the cage they are scared always flying around from me and im scared if i let them out they are going to fly around and i wont be able to put them back in or they will bite me ??? I need help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Add Im scared to let my parakeets out to Twitter Add Im scared to let my parakeets out to Facebook Add Im scared to let my parakeets out to MySpace Add Im scared to let my parakeets out to Del.icio.us Digg Im scared to let my parakeets out Add Im scared to let my parakeets out to Yahoo My Web Add Im scared to let my parakeets out to Google Bookmarks Add Im scared to let my parakeets out to Stumbleupon Add Im scared to let my parakeets out to Reddit
#411475 - 03/14/11 02:44 PM Re: Im scared to let my parakeets out [Re: !!Mike Mike!!]
Connor G Offline
Great Friend

Loc: Woodbury, MN
Don't take them out until they are hand trained! NEVER EVER grab them! Just talk to them next to their cage but don't put your hand in until they are not afraid of you.

Add Re: Im scared to let my parakeets out to Twitter Add Re: Im scared to let my parakeets out to Facebook Add Re: Im scared to let my parakeets out to MySpace Add Re: Im scared to let my parakeets out to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Im scared to let my parakeets out Add Re: Im scared to let my parakeets out to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Im scared to let my parakeets out to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Im scared to let my parakeets out to Stumbleupon Add Re: Im scared to let my parakeets out to Reddit
#411476 - 03/14/11 02:45 PM Re: Im scared to let my parakeets out [Re: !!Mike Mike!!]
Connor G Offline
Great Friend

Loc: Woodbury, MN
Also welcome to the forum:)

Add Re: Im scared to let my parakeets out to Twitter Add Re: Im scared to let my parakeets out to Facebook Add Re: Im scared to let my parakeets out to MySpace Add Re: Im scared to let my parakeets out to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Im scared to let my parakeets out Add Re: Im scared to let my parakeets out to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Im scared to let my parakeets out to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Im scared to let my parakeets out to Stumbleupon Add Re: Im scared to let my parakeets out to Reddit
#411481 - 03/14/11 04:09 PM Re: Im scared to let my parakeets out [Re: !!Mike Mike!!]
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

Loc: upstate NY
Mike,
Connor is exactly right. If they're afraid of your hand being in the cage, leave them be. Just talk to them as often as possible. Sit near the cage and talk, sing a song, recite nursery rhymes...tell them about your day LOL
Move very very slowly around them.

Don't let them out yet until they are finger or perch trained.

How long have you had them? How many?

A little tip...leave a might light on for them at night smile Sometimes they have night frights and a night light might help prevent that, or at the very least they can see a little bit so they don't hurt themselves bumping in to things.

Welcome to the forum Mike Mike. Stick around. Click on different threads and read alll you can. You will learn a lot just by reading others' questions and answers.

Edited by kksuns (03/14/11 04:10 PM)

#411484 - 03/14/11 04:14 PM Re: Im scared to let my parakeets out [Re: !!Mike Mike!!]
!!Mike Mike!! Offline

thank you i have two the first i got is around 6 months now the other one is two months i do talk to them but how do u start the hand training sessions. i had another but he died when i was at school dnt know what happen to him

#411493 - 03/14/11 04:31 PM Re: Im scared to let my parakeets out [Re: !!Mike Mike!!]
Kimberly1985 Offline
Long Time Friend

Loc: South Carolina
Have you looked at the website on hand training?

http://www.lisashea.com/petinfo/articles/bird_hand.html

This is what I followed. I'm now at the out of cage training. It's been 2 months.

And like kksuns said, use the "search" thing at the top right of the page and search old posts. There's ton of information from cage sizes, food, diet, health problems, etc. Hope this helps.

#411497 - 03/14/11 04:36 PM Re: Im scared to let my parakeets out [Re: !!Mike Mike!!]
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

Loc: Massachusetts
yes please do use the forums to click on in upper left as there is a wealth of information on anything you can think of...as the others have said in here...with good advice...dont let the bird out and ...whats its name..till its trained and dont think thats gonna happen in two or oh maybe three days...plan on weeks..sometimes MANY WEEKS

#411500 - 03/14/11 04:53 PM Re: Im scared to let my parakeets out [Re: !!Mike Mike!!]
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

Loc: upstate NY
Start by just talking to them, as said above.
When they stop freaking out every time you reach in the cage, they are ready to start some hand training.
First just slooowly put your hand in cage and simply rest in on a perch. Just hold it STILL. Try to get comfortable beforehand so you don't fidget. LOL Hold hand in cage and talk to them for 10 mins or so. That's it. That is all to the first few lessons. If they do not freak out after a few of those lessons, move hand closer and do the same thing. Hold still.
If they look scared or spaz out STOP and don't try getting closer.
You have to work in baby steps. A few 10 min lessons each day.
It can take weeks or even months. But you have to be patient and work at their pace. Don;t try to rush them or force them in to trusting you.
In the meantime read all you can here.

Edited by kksuns (03/14/11 04:53 PM)

#411504 - 03/14/11 05:01 PM Re: Im scared to let my parakeets out [Re: !!Mike Mike!!]
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

nursery rhymes..choke lol

#411600 - 03/15/11 02:56 PM Re: Im scared to let my parakeets out [Re: !!Mike Mike!!]
!!Mike Mike!! Offline

They names are Sky and Twinkles

#411601 - 03/15/11 03:23 PM Re: Im scared to let my parakeets out [Re: !!Mike Mike!!]
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

keep in mind with two and the first wasnt even trained when you got the second i dont think ...or did you say it was ..anyway with two its harder to get them perch or hand/finger trained and the first should have been trained first before acquiring the second but...with time and patience all things are possible

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Latest Posts
Find your Enameled Aluminum Wire
by enameledaluminum
Today at 01:16 AM
porcelain cyanotype ornament designs
by mnopqr354716
12/13/17 02:02 PM
Training two budgies
by mnopqr354716
12/13/17 02:01 PM
Rise of Gig Economy
by Swati Gupta
12/13/17 03:43 AM
Gears Steampunk wood palette cyanotype
by Lisa Shea
12/12/17 10:52 AM
Wing Flipping
by Lisa Shea
12/12/17 10:38 AM
kittens
by Lisa Shea
11/29/17 11:56 PM
Meditate
by Lisa Shea
11/29/17 10:54 PM
Lisa Shea Origami in the Blackstone Valley Xpress
by Lisa Shea
11/24/17 07:09 PM
abstract cyanotype grid
by Lisa Shea
11/24/17 04:22 AM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site