two blues
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Child Health Site
Topic Options
#411603 - 03/15/11 03:33 PM when do i upgrade
!!Mike Mike!! Offline

Loc: Illinios
when do i upgrade to a bigger cage because i have a normal cage house . when i upgrade should i get more toys and perches etc????

Add when do i upgrade to Twitter Add when do i upgrade to Facebook Add when do i upgrade to MySpace Add when do i upgrade to Del.icio.us Digg when do i upgrade Add when do i upgrade to Yahoo My Web Add when do i upgrade to Google Bookmarks Add when do i upgrade to Stumbleupon Add when do i upgrade to Reddit
#411611 - 03/15/11 04:54 PM Re: when do i upgrade [Re: !!Mike Mike!!]
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

Loc: upstate NY
How big is the cage you have now?
You can upgrade whenever you want. If they are in a small cage I would do it soon if you can.
Of course bigger cage will mean more toys and perches...but don't OVERCROWD with toys because they need room to spread thoer wings and fly a bit in the cage without toys being in the way.
Get a variety of perch types..different diameters. They need a variety to keep their feet healthy. Cement/oyster shell type for nail and beak conditioning, maybe natural branch type-which you can buy or make your own from keet safe branches, rope perches are always appreciated because they're comfy on their feet.
I think too many toys all at once might be a bit overwhelming since they are new and still skittish, but a few different kinds would be nice.

Add Re: when do i upgrade to Twitter Add Re: when do i upgrade to Facebook Add Re: when do i upgrade to MySpace Add Re: when do i upgrade to Del.icio.us Digg Re: when do i upgrade Add Re: when do i upgrade to Yahoo My Web Add Re: when do i upgrade to Google Bookmarks Add Re: when do i upgrade to Stumbleupon Add Re: when do i upgrade to Reddit
#411629 - 03/15/11 06:33 PM Re: when do i upgrade [Re: !!Mike Mike!!]
!!Mike Mike!! Offline

i have the normal house cage i forgot how big it is i do have the cement perch never can find the shell type at petco. do they like ladders im thinking about putting some in it with some millet but its allot of mess

Add Re: when do i upgrade to Twitter Add Re: when do i upgrade to Facebook Add Re: when do i upgrade to MySpace Add Re: when do i upgrade to Del.icio.us Digg Re: when do i upgrade Add Re: when do i upgrade to Yahoo My Web Add Re: when do i upgrade to Google Bookmarks Add Re: when do i upgrade to Stumbleupon Add Re: when do i upgrade to Reddit
#411646 - 03/15/11 08:38 PM Re: when do i upgrade [Re: !!Mike Mike!!]
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

I don't know what you mean by "normal house cage"..they come in all sizes.
Yes, they do like ladders, but if cage is small you might not have room for ladders until you get a bigger cage. Can you measure your cage without freaking them out? or estimate how big it is?
Millet is really not all that good for them, so keep it to a minimum or not at all. And yes it IS messy! LOL So.. yet another reason to stay away from it.

I just ordered these from petco.com http://www.petco.com/product/106805/PETCO-16-Cement-Perches.aspx?CoreCat=LN_BirdSupplies_Perches
*thanks for the heads up illusive

So maybe they DO have them in store Mike? Ask someone at the store.

#411647 - 03/15/11 08:39 PM Re: when do i upgrade [Re: !!Mike Mike!!]
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

Loc: Massachusetts
if you dont have the cement/oyster perches then you more than likely have the PUMICE ones which dont look anything like a normal perch and are made from GLASS...NOT GOOD

#411672 - 03/16/11 02:59 PM Re: when do i upgrade [Re: !!Mike Mike!!]
!!Mike Mike!! Offline

i guess its around 14" L X 18" W X 21.5" H
3/8" Wire Spacing

#411676 - 03/16/11 03:22 PM Re: when do i upgrade [Re: !!Mike Mike!!]
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

Yeah Mike, you definitely need a bigger cage as soon as you can possibly get one. Be sure bar spacing is no more than 1/2".
Hang on to the smaller one tho. It will come in handy to put them in while cleaning the new bigger cage you get. Or maybe to take them outside in once the weather is nice and you learn how to safely do that.
Mine like their 1st smaller cage as a playhouse of sorts. Just another place to hang out.

#411679 - 03/16/11 05:05 PM Re: when do i upgrade [Re: !!Mike Mike!!]
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

Loc: Massachusetts
let us know how its going too mike

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Latest Posts
Find your Enameled Aluminum Wire
by enameledaluminum
Yesterday at 01:16 AM
porcelain cyanotype ornament designs
by mnopqr354716
12/13/17 02:02 PM
Training two budgies
by mnopqr354716
12/13/17 02:01 PM
Rise of Gig Economy
by Swati Gupta
12/13/17 03:43 AM
Gears Steampunk wood palette cyanotype
by Lisa Shea
12/12/17 10:52 AM
Wing Flipping
by Lisa Shea
12/12/17 10:38 AM
kittens
by Lisa Shea
11/29/17 11:56 PM
Meditate
by Lisa Shea
11/29/17 10:54 PM
Lisa Shea Origami in the Blackstone Valley Xpress
by Lisa Shea
11/24/17 07:09 PM
abstract cyanotype grid
by Lisa Shea
11/24/17 04:22 AM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site