two blues
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Child Health Site
Topic Options
#415537 - 05/22/11 12:05 PM Parakeets stuff
!!Mike Mike!! Offline

Loc: Illinios
is a mineral block and a beak conditioner the same thingy?? went to petco yesterday didn't see any mineral block so i bought a beak conditioner also i bought some millet but they wont eat it

Add Parakeets stuff to Twitter Add Parakeets stuff to Facebook Add Parakeets stuff to MySpace Add Parakeets stuff to Del.icio.us Digg Parakeets stuff Add Parakeets stuff to Yahoo My Web Add Parakeets stuff to Google Bookmarks Add Parakeets stuff to Stumbleupon Add Parakeets stuff to Reddit
#415538 - 05/22/11 12:35 PM Re: Parakeets stuff [Re: !!Mike Mike!!]
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

Loc: Massachusetts
dont know how many postings it takes before people understand ...***millet is no good anyway... smile

with petco i have no clue what they call a beak conditioner...you might of wanted to ask them altho they probably would of said yes to anything to sell it....

Add Re: Parakeets stuff to Twitter Add Re: Parakeets stuff to Facebook Add Re: Parakeets stuff to MySpace Add Re: Parakeets stuff to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Parakeets stuff Add Re: Parakeets stuff to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Parakeets stuff to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Parakeets stuff to Stumbleupon Add Re: Parakeets stuff to Reddit
#415539 - 05/22/11 12:47 PM Re: Parakeets stuff [Re: !!Mike Mike!!]
Siegel Offline
Companion

no a beak conditioner is usually just some natural stone (lava stone), but a mineral block is condensed material that includes also iodine which is important cause parakeets often have thyroid problems which require extra iodine.

mineral block is very important to have, the beak conditioner would also be good, but there are other options as well.

make sure you have cuttlebone available as well.

Add Re: Parakeets stuff to Twitter Add Re: Parakeets stuff to Facebook Add Re: Parakeets stuff to MySpace Add Re: Parakeets stuff to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Parakeets stuff Add Re: Parakeets stuff to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Parakeets stuff to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Parakeets stuff to Stumbleupon Add Re: Parakeets stuff to Reddit
#415540 - 05/22/11 01:05 PM Re: Parakeets stuff [Re: !!Mike Mike!!]
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

petco i believe is the one that sells that cement / oyster shell perches which is a very good beak condtioner look like reg. perches with all lil bumpy stuff

here is the link its in the fourth row down i think called CEMENT perches 16" long which can also be easily cut down

http://www.petco.com/N_25_4294956710/Bird-Perches.aspx?CoreCat=MM_BirdSupplies_Perches

#415544 - 05/22/11 03:44 PM Re: Parakeets stuff [Re: !!Mike Mike!!]
!!Mike Mike!! Offline

Loc: Illinios
why u say spray millet is no good. and i do have a cuttle bone the plain white type my two keets wont stop using it the always on it fighting over it

#415546 - 05/22/11 05:00 PM Re: Parakeets stuff [Re: !!Mike Mike!!]
tessboss Offline
Long Time Friend

Your keets should have two or three cuttlebones if they are fighting for it. They may need the nutrients or they may just like tearing them up but anyway I would get more than 1.

Millet is like candy for keets. It is not very nutrious and can get caught in their crop. It is like giving them junk food.

Instead of millet try giving spinach leaves or heads of broccoli, any greens are good.

Make sure you have enough toys if your birds are fighting over cuttlebones. They may be bored and are fighting over them like a toy.

The goal is to have a flock that are happy and not aggressive toward each other. I would try more toys and at least 2 cuttlebones.

#415547 - 05/22/11 05:35 PM Re: Parakeets stuff [Re: !!Mike Mike!!]
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

cuttle bone also is overrated as it is not absorbed by the body as it should be to do much good a mineral block is for the best but non-the-less cuttlebone should always be supplied too...

millet is soooo bad and a lot of times soooo dusty it can cause respiratory issues or lil hules can get stuck in nares and cause serious issues if not sneezed or dislodged out ..also most individuals cant tell if they are even feeding moldly millet bought direct from a store...

its also in their reg. seed mixes...just not on the sprays ...but it is cleaner and fresher in the seed mix...

#415560 - 05/22/11 11:14 PM Re: Parakeets stuff [Re: !!Mike Mike!!]
Siegel Offline
Companion

i only have one cuttlebone for 8 parakeets. admittedly its bigger than usual, because i dont buy them as singles, i buy 3 at a time, and theyre not prepacked. they never fight over it. 2 mineral blocks- i think they could even do well with only 1, its just that i had 2.

i think mikes keets just need to establish a pecking order. theres no reason why 2 keets cant share 1 cuttlebone, unless theyre seriously fighting. not the funny play fighting that his are probably busy with. all 8 birds of mine share 1 feeder and 1 water source, which are of course big enough, but still- there are never any fights.

#415561 - 05/23/11 01:04 AM Re: Parakeets stuff [Re: !!Mike Mike!!]
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

and there shouldnt be

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Latest Posts
Find your Enameled Aluminum Wire
by enameledaluminum
Today at 01:16 AM
porcelain cyanotype ornament designs
by mnopqr354716
12/13/17 02:02 PM
Training two budgies
by mnopqr354716
12/13/17 02:01 PM
Rise of Gig Economy
by Swati Gupta
12/13/17 03:43 AM
Gears Steampunk wood palette cyanotype
by Lisa Shea
12/12/17 10:52 AM
Wing Flipping
by Lisa Shea
12/12/17 10:38 AM
kittens
by Lisa Shea
11/29/17 11:56 PM
Meditate
by Lisa Shea
11/29/17 10:54 PM
Lisa Shea Origami in the Blackstone Valley Xpress
by Lisa Shea
11/24/17 07:09 PM
abstract cyanotype grid
by Lisa Shea
11/24/17 04:22 AM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site