Budgie Photos
My violet female budgie
my cage
two blues
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Child Health Site
Topic Options
#420006 - 11/09/11 06:13 PM Parakeets eating their own poop.
zimm226 Offline

We recently got 2 parakeets, kept them apart from each other for about a month in order to allow them to bond with us. We just put them together a few days ago and I have noticed the one is eating the others dried poop. This morning there was a few droppings under where one bird stayed perched all night and now, this afternoon the dried poop is gone. After I kept an eye on them for a little I noticed the one bird actually picking the dried poop off and eating it. We have 2 males, one green and one blue and it seems as if the green is eating the blue ones poop. I have never noticed the green one eating his own poop when he was alone but now I see him eating the blue ones poop. Is this bad, do we need to be concerned?

Add Parakeets eating their own poop. to Twitter Add Parakeets eating their own poop. to Facebook Add Parakeets eating their own poop. to MySpace Add Parakeets eating their own poop. to Del.icio.us Digg Parakeets eating their own poop. Add Parakeets eating their own poop. to Yahoo My Web Add Parakeets eating their own poop. to Google Bookmarks Add Parakeets eating their own poop. to Stumbleupon Add Parakeets eating their own poop. to Reddit
#420009 - 11/09/11 06:56 PM Re: Parakeets eating their own poop. [Re: zimm226]
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

Loc: Massachusetts
yes you do need to be concerned...what is their diets like

...and when you kept them apart ...which YOU SHOULD DO until you know their genders for sure...i would STRONGLY recommend keeping them apart...

was the one doing this eating its own poop???

please keep them separate...you dont want issues down the road for sure at trying to separate them should they be opposite sexes and then start to breed or a female goes into egg laying mode...(very dangerous)

Add Re: Parakeets eating their own poop. to Twitter Add Re: Parakeets eating their own poop. to Facebook Add Re: Parakeets eating their own poop. to MySpace Add Re: Parakeets eating their own poop. to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Parakeets eating their own poop. Add Re: Parakeets eating their own poop. to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Parakeets eating their own poop. to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Parakeets eating their own poop. to Stumbleupon Add Re: Parakeets eating their own poop. to Reddit
#420011 - 11/09/11 08:31 PM Re: Parakeets eating their own poop. [Re: zimm226]
zimm226 Offline

We have been feeding them seeds(nederlands brand, vita see for parakeets). We also give them millet every now and then.
We are almost positive these are both males, from what we have read and seen online they are both males according to their cere which is blueish/purplish. The green one which is the only one I have noticed eating the droppings was NOT eating his own poop before when he was by himself. Even tonight, when I posted the first post at 6:15 the blue one had a few droppings under where he was perched and now we just got back from dinner 2 hours later and the poop is gone... so I am pretty sure the green one ate it again.

Add Re: Parakeets eating their own poop. to Twitter Add Re: Parakeets eating their own poop. to Facebook Add Re: Parakeets eating their own poop. to MySpace Add Re: Parakeets eating their own poop. to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Parakeets eating their own poop. Add Re: Parakeets eating their own poop. to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Parakeets eating their own poop. to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Parakeets eating their own poop. to Stumbleupon Add Re: Parakeets eating their own poop. to Reddit
#420012 - 11/09/11 09:15 PM Re: Parakeets eating their own poop. [Re: zimm226]
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

Loc: Massachusetts
well certainly you know this isnt normal for anything...so please separate them again for sure ...how old are these birds...

do you feed any veggies....AT ALL...they really need veggies...and if they havent started on them its time for sure...and just keep offereing them as well...not lettuce its junk and not chard ...give them some carrot or beet leafs or sweet potatoe...

really want to know how old they are tho...an as i said best to separate this is such not a normal thing...

stop the millet too....thats also not good for them and besides they get millet in their food already but the spray millet dont bother with it...get them veggies instead...try a bit of fruit altho most keets really wont eat fruit you do occasionally find the odd one who will .. orange is good or apple BUT NOT SEEDS OR THE CORE...remove the peel of course...

im also willing to bet you dont have a "unflavored" mineral block in that cage...get one right away if you dont..and is your water treated that you know of in any way...if your not sure ...when you go to get a mineral block buy a gallon of pure spring water for them

oh and btw...

WELCOME ABOARD smile

Edited by illusive Fantasy (11/09/11 09:17 PM)

#420040 - 11/11/11 04:18 PM Re: Parakeets eating their own poop. [Re: zimm226]
jilly Offline

Best Friend

Loc: Asheville, NC
Zimm, Illusive always has great keet advice, so i'd just follow her instructions ASAP. smile Let us know how it goes.
App owner - RunPee.com - to help you find the best movie breaks smile

#420073 - 11/13/11 05:46 AM Re: Parakeets eating their own poop. [Re: zimm226]
Lisa Shea Online   content

Gold Star Soulmate

Loc: US
Dear zimm226 -

Welcome to our forums, we are happy to have you!

Poop eating is generally a sign of a mineral deficiency. The parakeet is seeking to supplement his mineral intake naturally.

Add mineral blocks to your cage, and let us know if that helps! Then we can help from there!

#420074 - 11/13/11 05:59 AM Re: Parakeets eating their own poop. [Re: zimm226]
Lisa Shea Online   content

Gold Star Soulmate

Loc: US
Zimm226 -

Here is my page with more details on why parakeets tend to eat their poop.

http://www.lisashea.com/petinfo/recipes/parakeetpoop.html

Let us know if you have any questions.

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Latest Posts
FREE Full Length Medieval Romance Novel
by Lisa Shea
Today at 10:16 AM
Autumn Photography
by Lisa Shea
Today at 08:12 AM
Into the Wasteland
by Lisa Shea
Today at 07:39 AM
First time parakeet owner!!
by Allegra
Today at 06:09 AM
New budgie!
by MrsIndigo
Today at 04:08 AM
Trendy as well as Comfy Outdoor patio Footwear
by VonGlenden
Yesterday at 05:49 PM
Meditate
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 04:57 PM
Short Stories
by Lisa Shea
08/26/14 03:58 PM
Yoga
by Lisa Shea
08/26/14 10:00 AM
Avoiding Aimless Complaining Project
by Lisa Shea
08/24/14 06:23 AM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site