Budgie Photos
My violet female budgie
my cage
two blues
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Child Health Site
Topic Options
#423951 - 06/22/12 10:33 AM Is Timmy really a "Tammy"?
Lady Vyz Offline
Companion

Loc: Tampa, FL
So, Timmy is now about 7 months old and we are thinking that he is really a she. Tell me what you think.

Add Is Timmy  really a "Tammy"? to Twitter Add Is Timmy  really a "Tammy"? to Facebook Add Is Timmy  really a "Tammy"? to MySpace Add Is Timmy  really a "Tammy"? to Del.icio.us Digg Is Timmy  really a "Tammy"? Add Is Timmy  really a "Tammy"? to Yahoo My Web Add Is Timmy  really a "Tammy"? to Google Bookmarks Add Is Timmy  really a "Tammy"? to Stumbleupon Add Is Timmy  really a "Tammy"? to Reddit
#423952 - 06/22/12 05:38 PM Re: Is Timmy really a "Tammy"? [Re: Lady Vyz]
illusive Fantasy Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

Loc: Massachusetts
hi lady ...you say HE is about 7 months it sometimes takes longer to realllly determine sex more like 9 months im saying HE is a HE..a few more months will really show as he matures as he is still not mature the differences mentioned below...dont just look at these pictures please READ the information that goes with it. smile note where one of the sites mentions about a males cere being more bulbous than a females also...and that bottom pic seems to show a bulbous cere...

i have always said this is how when i view younger budgies i will try to determine the sex by this ...also what they say about biting and another thing the dome of the skull...(see in second link to the left a tab which will show male birds and one that will show female)(however in the first link there is a above and below pic of a male and female and its also very obvious there as well)

males will have a broader and more rounded dome to the head than a female who tends to have a slightly narrower and flater one..the flatness of the cere is reflected with the narrower and flater dome to the skull and this can be visually compared in these sites as well...

when you have several birds to compare all at once these things its a tad easier...and especially when you take SEVERAL times to study really study all birds often ...in real life or thru pics...you get more adept at spotting these three things

http://forums.budgiebreeders.asn.au/faqs...&artlang=en

http://www.birds-online.de/allgemein/geschlecht-maennchen_en.htm

BEAUTIFUL PIC'S of a BEAUTIFUL bird.

Edited by illusive Fantasy (06/22/12 06:02 PM)

Add Re: Is Timmy  really a "Tammy"? to Twitter Add Re: Is Timmy  really a "Tammy"? to Facebook Add Re: Is Timmy  really a "Tammy"? to MySpace Add Re: Is Timmy  really a "Tammy"? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Is Timmy  really a "Tammy"? Add Re: Is Timmy  really a "Tammy"? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Is Timmy  really a "Tammy"? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Is Timmy  really a "Tammy"? to Stumbleupon Add Re: Is Timmy  really a "Tammy"? to Reddit
#423953 - 06/23/12 11:09 AM Re: Is Timmy really a "Tammy"? [Re: Lady Vyz]
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

Loc: upstate NY
hmmmm IDK..I'm leaning more toward little Timmy being a female after all. Hard to tell from pics, but the cere doesn't look all that bulbous to me, and even the shape of the head looks more female. Not to mention the color..
It really is still too soon to tell tho, so give him/her more time Lady Vyz.
I've a feeling that you are hoping to eventually house them together if they get along? So for your sake i sure hope i am wrong and Tim IS a Tim.
Give it a few more months.

What is Timmy's personality/attitude like Lady V? More of a happy go lucky, sing songy boy or a moody, cantankerous, don't be bothering me, maybe nippy girl?

Add Re: Is Timmy  really a "Tammy"? to Twitter Add Re: Is Timmy  really a "Tammy"? to Facebook Add Re: Is Timmy  really a "Tammy"? to MySpace Add Re: Is Timmy  really a "Tammy"? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Is Timmy  really a "Tammy"? Add Re: Is Timmy  really a "Tammy"? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Is Timmy  really a "Tammy"? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Is Timmy  really a "Tammy"? to Stumbleupon Add Re: Is Timmy  really a "Tammy"? to Reddit
#423957 - 06/23/12 03:42 PM Re: Is Timmy really a "Tammy"? [Re: Lady Vyz]
Lady Vyz Offline
Companion

Loc: Tampa, FL
Okay, so this is the third time I've tried to enter this.....

i wanted to start out by saying that we never intended Timmy and Denny to be in the same cage, they both have their own cage and the cages sit next to one another. So we have no issues there.

We have owned 4 male budgies over the last 15 years, and Timmy doesn't act like any of them. (For the sake of argument and consistancy here, i am going to refer to Timmy as "she".) She is not as chatty as Denny and doesn't "sing" or make as much noise as Denny. When Denny is by himself in his cage he will chatter to himself or get very noisy. Timmy sits quietlys, preens herself, plays with her toys or eats. She is not very bossy though. When she's had enough of Denny, she will just go be by herself. If Denny persists on bothering her, she may poke at him.

As far as being "nippy", it's hard to say. She won't let us get close to her. I have been able to perch train her, but she is very resistant to finger training. The only time I can get close to her is in the evening when she is downed out. But forget about it during the day. She just flys away. Unfortunately, i am not home during the day so finding time to train her is usually in the evening.

She loves to chew on the kabobs we have hanging in both of their cages. The kabobs are down to small disks. She was chewing on Denny's kabobs earlier and I got a picture -

I read the information Illusive supplied above (BTW-thank you). When I compare her head structure with Denny's, she does not have that rounded crest just above the cere and she doesn't have those pronounced jowl feathers either. She has gone through a molt, but I can't say that it was a major molt. The bars that went down to her cere are gone though, just a few left a little higher up.

She absolutely LOVES veggies. She devours anything we give her. She loves carrots. I just separated them back into their own cages and Denny has been non-stop chattering, Timmy hasn't made a noise, just sits and preens (just like a woman!! LOL) She seems to be very delicate compared to Denny, but that may be the breed.

When we first got Timmy back in early February, her cere was whitish blue with white around the nostrils. Her cere has changed drastically since we got her.

I will take more pictures in a couple of months and maybe it will be more evident.

#423958 - 06/23/12 04:20 PM Re: Is Timmy really a "Tammy"? [Re: Lady Vyz]
kksuns Offline
Platinum Star Soulmate

Loc: upstate NY
mmmhmm I do believe you have a little young lady there.
A beautiful one at that smile So pretty and HEALTHY looking. She glows wink

You take good care of your babies Lady Vyz...it shows.

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Latest Posts
Find your Enameled Aluminum Wire
by enameledaluminum
Today at 01:16 AM
porcelain cyanotype ornament designs
by mnopqr354716
12/13/17 02:02 PM
Training two budgies
by mnopqr354716
12/13/17 02:01 PM
Rise of Gig Economy
by Swati Gupta
12/13/17 03:43 AM
Gears Steampunk wood palette cyanotype
by Lisa Shea
12/12/17 10:52 AM
Wing Flipping
by Lisa Shea
12/12/17 10:38 AM
kittens
by Lisa Shea
11/29/17 11:56 PM
Meditate
by Lisa Shea
11/29/17 10:54 PM
Lisa Shea Origami in the Blackstone Valley Xpress
by Lisa Shea
11/24/17 07:09 PM
abstract cyanotype grid
by Lisa Shea
11/24/17 04:22 AM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site