Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Child Health Site
Topic Options
#425645 - 11/28/12 02:24 AM MySQL Database Upgrade
Lisa Shea Online   content

True Blue Soulmate

Loc: US
I'm part-way through a large upgrade of the MySQL database that runs this forum. At this point the new MySQL version is running and the forum database is loaded into it. I think it's up and running again - please be patient as I work on poking through various things.

Hopefully this new version will help the system run more quickly.

Add MySQL Database Upgrade to Twitter Add MySQL Database Upgrade to Facebook Add MySQL Database Upgrade to MySpace Add MySQL Database Upgrade to Del.icio.us Digg MySQL Database Upgrade Add MySQL Database Upgrade to Yahoo My Web Add MySQL Database Upgrade to Google Bookmarks Add MySQL Database Upgrade to Stumbleupon Add MySQL Database Upgrade to Reddit
#425665 - 11/30/12 04:14 PM Re: MySQL Database Upgrade [Re: Lisa Shea]

True Blue Soulmate

Dear group -

I've heard from several people that some recent posts seem to have gone missing. First I want to say that I didn't delete *any* posts at all on purpose.

When I did the SQL update from 5.1 to 5.5 I exported out all the data from 5.1, did the uninstalls and fresh installs and update stuff, and then imported all the data into the new clean 5.5 database.

In looking through my process now, I realized what must have happened. I did a trial run for all of this on 11/21 to make sure I had everything I needed. And then I did it "for real" on the night of 11/27-11/28. But it looks like for this forum I accidentally grabbed my test file to import in, the one from 11/21. So any posts made after 11/21 would have been lost.

I'm sorry about that! That's why there's a gap between those dates.

I'll see if I can fill in the missing content without it affecting anything in here now. I'm not sure that would be safe, but I'll at least see if it's possible.

Add Re: MySQL Database Upgrade to Twitter Add Re: MySQL Database Upgrade to Facebook Add Re: MySQL Database Upgrade to MySpace Add Re: MySQL Database Upgrade to Del.icio.us Digg Re: MySQL Database Upgrade Add Re: MySQL Database Upgrade to Yahoo My Web Add Re: MySQL Database Upgrade to Google Bookmarks Add Re: MySQL Database Upgrade to Stumbleupon Add Re: MySQL Database Upgrade to Reddit
#425666 - 11/30/12 04:38 PM Re: MySQL Database Upgrade [Re: Lisa Shea]

True Blue Soulmate

OK I think trying to re-import the missing week would be quite dangerous, because as it tried to add things onto threads it would bump into the things we have manually added onto the threads. But I do have the ability to see what was posted in the week.

So here's what I'll do. I'll manually post them myself one by one and give the proper attribution of who posted it. I realize this will look a little kludgy, but that way we won't lose the posts and we'll be able to have that history.

I apologize again for importing the wrong file! I've been fighting a head cold for about two weeks now. I guess it impacted me more than I thought. I should have triple checked the file I took.

Add Re: MySQL Database Upgrade to Twitter Add Re: MySQL Database Upgrade to Facebook Add Re: MySQL Database Upgrade to MySpace Add Re: MySQL Database Upgrade to Del.icio.us Digg Re: MySQL Database Upgrade Add Re: MySQL Database Upgrade to Yahoo My Web Add Re: MySQL Database Upgrade to Google Bookmarks Add Re: MySQL Database Upgrade to Stumbleupon Add Re: MySQL Database Upgrade to Reddit
#425693 - 11/30/12 07:18 PM Re: MySQL Database Upgrade [Re: Lisa Shea]

True Blue Soulmate

OK I have now manually pasted in each post that was made during the time period between when the backup was made and when I upgraded the database. This should account for all the missing posts.

Please let me know if you think I missed something!

#425754 - 12/14/12 02:10 AM Re: MySQL Database Upgrade [Re: Lisa Shea]

True Blue Soulmate

I have just upgraded our UBB forum software to the version that just came out yesterday - version 7.5.7. So we're on the latest and greatest forum software version. I also upgraded our table format to InnoDB.

I'm going to give it a few days to make sure everything is working, and then I'm going to upgrade us to the next level of PHP. One step at a time! Hopefully these will all help us run more quickly.

#425817 - 12/17/12 07:23 PM Re: MySQL Database Upgrade [Re: Lisa Shea]

True Blue Soulmate

Here is the status update.

We are now on the latest version of the UBB forum software.
We're on the latest version of PHP, the language this software is written in.
We're on the latest version of MySQL, the database the posts is stored in.
I've added FastCGI which is an accelerator.

In general the boards seem much faster. I've added debug information at the very bottom of each page and it's showing that, in general, a page takes under a half second to draw. So that's good.

The remaining issue seems to be making new posts. It seems that occasionally the act of making a new post causes a lock-up situation that then times out after 90 seconds. The post does get made. But the user sees a "time out" error and has to manually go back to the forums.

I'm working on that now. Our post table is fairly large, but even so we should be able to add to it without it locking smile.

Hopefully I can get this resolved shortly!

#425858 - 12/20/12 01:44 PM Re: MySQL Database Upgrade [Re: Lisa Shea]

True Blue Soulmate

I disabled a log file and that seemed to be what was causing the post hangs. So I haven't seen the post process actually "full stop hang" since I did that. It is slow sometimes, but it always seems to finish. So I think we have progress there.

I also tweaked the social networking code - the little icons at the bottom of each post area to work with Google+ or Facebook or so on. So I think that will now fit better on the screen and load more quickly.

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Latest Posts
Meditate
by Lisa Shea
23 minutes 45 seconds ago
Training two budgies
by Nhu
Today at 01:59 AM
In Dire need of Advice...
by rstuvw579648
Yesterday at 10:19 PM
The Lucky Cat
by rstuvw579648
Yesterday at 10:16 PM
Zuzu and Felix, our two black kittens
by rstuvw579648
Yesterday at 10:13 PM
Female won't feed babies HELP!
by rstuvw579648
Yesterday at 10:09 PM
Wing Flipping
by rstuvw579648
Yesterday at 12:30 AM
Question of the day!
by rstuvw579648
11/19/17 05:19 AM
Visions in Dreams
by rstuvw579648
11/19/17 05:18 AM
10 Things Every Amateur Football Team Will Need
by rstuvw579648
11/19/17 05:14 AM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site