two blues
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Child Health Site
Topic Options
#430507 - 03/23/16 12:59 AM Training an Older Budgie
Ajdragondancer Offline

Hello,
So my parakeet is about 2 years old and he still hates to come out of his cage. He will sit on my fingers if he is in his cage and he will sometimes sit on my shoulder, but overall it is very difficult to get him out. I have tried everything and have done loads of research even before I had him. I used countless of the training techniques proposed by budgie fanatics. I don't know what I have done wrong. I am a quiet person and am very busy but I always try my best to make sure he is properly cared for. I have developed countless great relationships with other animals (cats, dogs, rodents) but I have never cared for a bird before. My parakeet bites, doesn't like my hands, hates coming out of his cage, and is a major seed junkie- he won't even touch fruits and veggies even though I have offered them in every way imaginable. I am so worried that he won't live a long and healthy life or that he is lonely- even though is generally cheerful and chirpy. Is any of this normal?

Add Training an Older Budgie to Twitter Add Training an Older Budgie to Facebook Add Training an Older Budgie to MySpace Add Training an Older Budgie to Del.icio.us Digg Training an Older Budgie Add Training an Older Budgie to Yahoo My Web Add Training an Older Budgie to Google Bookmarks Add Training an Older Budgie to Stumbleupon Add Training an Older Budgie to Reddit
#430509 - 03/23/16 10:32 PM Re: Training an Older Budgie [Re: Ajdragondancer]
Lisa Shea Online   content

True Blue Soulmate

Loc: US
Welcome!

Birds all have unique personalities just like humans do. They can also get set in their ways smile.

On the food, birds by their nature are suspicious of anything new. So it's very typical that your bird resists anything but seed. Start with lettuce. Clip it to the cage so it's in his face. Eventually he'll start gnawing at it just to get rid of it. The next day, put in more fresh lettuce. Keep at it. Eventually he'll get some into his mouth smile. Focus just on lettuce.

It's good that your keet likes his cage, but let's lure him out. He feels safe there - so make a new safe place for him. Make a little playpen next to where you tend to sit. Have millet on it (i.e. parakeet junk food). Only ever give him millet on his playpen. Make sure the playpen is stable and safe feeling. Every day, bring the keet over to the playpen and let him have some millet. Keep that up smile.

Add Re: Training an Older Budgie to Twitter Add Re: Training an Older Budgie to Facebook Add Re: Training an Older Budgie to MySpace Add Re: Training an Older Budgie to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Training an Older Budgie Add Re: Training an Older Budgie to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Training an Older Budgie to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Training an Older Budgie to Stumbleupon Add Re: Training an Older Budgie to Reddit

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Latest Posts
Knowing Yourself
by Lisa Shea
10/20/17 02:58 AM
Meditate
by Lisa Shea
10/18/17 10:13 PM
Yoga
by Lisa Shea
10/18/17 03:34 PM
Indie Author Day 2017
by Lisa Shea
10/14/17 12:35 AM
Matthew 12:40
by rstrats
10/09/17 02:52 PM
Death Watch
by Lisa Shea
10/08/17 03:22 PM
New Balance 574 Elliptical Trainer Critique - An I
by Janzen41
10/04/17 03:39 AM
puffy and definitly not happy
by darrell yarmer
10/03/17 10:47 PM
Ring Ring
by Lisa Shea
10/03/17 09:53 PM
Trying this again. Last post did not take
by HLS
10/03/17 12:42 PM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site