two blues
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Child Health Site
Topic Options
#430951 - 11/13/16 08:02 PM Aggressive parakeet, around 9-10 months old
SABD Offline

Hi everyone,

So I recently recieved a parakeet as a present after graduation. In June she was 4 months and now she's approximately 9-10 months. When I first got her, she was very scared, and I tried to make her very comfortable. I never was able to get her to be 100% comfortable however she would go on my finger, and she'd be comfortable coming out of the cage. But she would run around the cage a bit. However in October, she started viciously biting everyone who there hand in the cage. However she had never bit anyone before, so we thought maybe she was in a breeding season. We could not take her out of the cage. Sometimes we would be able to get her out on a stick and when we put her on her perch outside the cage, she would jolt forward to bite. When she started biting, we would tap her nose (really lightly) so we could try to show her she was wrong. Soon after reading more parakeet care websites I learned that she would retaliate and she has been ever since. However more than 6-weeks later she is still biting and defensive and I don't know how to get her to be comfortable with me. She refuses to come out of the cage, even if we leave the door open for her to play and explore. I really want to tame her. Does anyone have any advice on how to work with a parakeet who is passed the stage of being easily "impressionable"? I really want a happy budgie who loves being around us.

Thanks for any help!

Edited by SABD (11/13/16 09:09 PM)

Add Aggressive parakeet, around 9-10 months old to Twitter Add Aggressive parakeet, around 9-10 months old to Facebook Add Aggressive parakeet, around 9-10 months old to MySpace Add Aggressive parakeet, around 9-10 months old to Del.icio.us Digg Aggressive parakeet, around 9-10 months old Add Aggressive parakeet, around 9-10 months old to Yahoo My Web Add Aggressive parakeet, around 9-10 months old to Google Bookmarks Add Aggressive parakeet, around 9-10 months old to Stumbleupon Add Aggressive parakeet, around 9-10 months old to Reddit
#430963 - 11/17/16 08:50 PM Re: Aggressive parakeet, around 9-10 months old [Re: SABD]
Lisa Shea Offline

True Blue Soulmate

Loc: US
It is true that hormones can play a part, but that should be a phase a parakeet grows out of.

If she is still that upset I would look into the overall situation. It could very much be that something is bothering her. Is the cage protected so that there is a blanket on the back so she doesn't feel exposed? Is there quiet, dark time for at least eight hours at night? During the day is there soft music or noise so she's not afraid of being abandoned and silent?

Add Re: Aggressive parakeet, around 9-10 months old to Twitter Add Re: Aggressive parakeet, around 9-10 months old to Facebook Add Re: Aggressive parakeet, around 9-10 months old to MySpace Add Re: Aggressive parakeet, around 9-10 months old to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Aggressive parakeet, around 9-10 months old Add Re: Aggressive parakeet, around 9-10 months old to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Aggressive parakeet, around 9-10 months old to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Aggressive parakeet, around 9-10 months old to Stumbleupon Add Re: Aggressive parakeet, around 9-10 months old to Reddit

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Latest Posts
Meditate
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 10:39 PM
Question of the day!
by rstuvw579648
Yesterday at 04:23 PM
bike gear cyanotypes
by rstuvw579648
Yesterday at 04:21 PM
Zuzu and Felix, our two black kittens
by rstuvw579648
Yesterday at 04:18 PM
Happy Halloween, everyone!
by rstuvw579648
11/16/17 02:20 AM
Youth Soccer And Ring Pops
by gallerr
11/15/17 11:37 PM
Zuzu is a literary cat!
by Lisa Shea
11/15/17 12:28 AM
10 Things Every Amateur Football Team Will Need
by wu yu
11/13/17 01:51 AM
Teaming Up For The Fifa 2010 Soccer World Cup
by Brettt
10/26/17 08:35 AM
Yoga
by Lisa Shea
10/23/17 03:07 PM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site