Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#431172 - 03/04/17 04:26 AM free will  
Lisa Shea Online content
Lisa Shea  Online Content

True Blue Soulmate

US
Question for a story I'm writing. God knows everything. He knows all outcomes. So say he causes a child to be born in a poverty-stricken inner city family with no father and a drug-addicted mother. That child turns to a gang as his only protection and has a beloved mentor. That mentor tries to steer him right but when the child is 14 the mentor is shot down in a drive-by. The child in agony shoots the killer but is, himself, killed before he can repent. Does that child go to eternal Hell? If God knew this was going to happen, and knew given the situation that this was the set-in-stone outcome, did the child have free will?

Lisa Shea, Owner
#431831 - 01/20/18 04:24 AM Re: free will [Re: Lisa Shea]  
Raggedpost Offline
Raggedpost  Offline

Hi Lisa. I'm new. Religious study absorbs me; I don't own a parakeet, lol.

I see this post is oldish now, and you've probably already written your story, but just wanted to point out that if your plot synopsis is as stated your question about free will is moot. You've answered it yourself.

As for the boy going to eternal hell, the question of maintaining a physical body capable of the bodily suffering in such a location is a very big one. Dust to dust has to go right out the window if one believes in hell.

#431840 - 01/24/18 03:03 AM Re: free will [Re: Lisa Shea]  
Lisa Shea Online content

True Blue Soulmate

US
I don't know that a God knowing what the outcome is going to be and a person having free will are mutually exclusive. If I see a toddler gazing with big eyes at a candy jar, I can pretty much know he's going to try to get it. My knowledge of human nature is separate from the toddler's ability to choose or not choose that action. It's just that God is better at forecasting than I am smile.

I think most religious people don't think of Hell as physical torment - they see it as spiritual torment. It's just represented physically in art because it's hard to paint spiritual pain smile.

Lisa Shea, Owner
#431851 - 01/28/18 02:59 AM Re: free will [Re: Lisa Shea]  
Raggedpost Offline
Raggedpost  Offline

Originally Posted by Lisa Shea
I don't know that a God knowing what the outcome is going to be and a person having free will are mutually exclusive.

I'm not sure that I understand what this sentence is saying, exactly.

What would constitute spiritual torment in Hell? All spiritual torment while alive is predicated upon having a human body and experiencing life's torments through it. Physical, mental and emotional torment require a living physical body.

#431857 - 01/28/18 11:39 PM Re: free will [Re: Lisa Shea]  
Lisa Shea Online content

True Blue Soulmate

US
If you don't understand my response, then explain in more detail why you feel free will is or is not involved.

I wholeheartedly disagree about spiritual torment. For the vast majority of religions, Hell is not a physical location in our known geometry. It is about the soul in an entirely different plane of existence. Just as Heaven is not "up" from us and Hell is not "down" from us.

Lisa Shea, Owner

Moderated by  Lisa Shea 

Latest Posts
levitation photo challenge
by Lisa Shea. 02/19/18 02:56 AM
Your Parakeet's Personality
by Lisa Shea. 02/16/18 08:38 PM
Amazing Architecture photography challenge
by Lisa Shea. 02/16/18 08:37 PM
iodine supplement???
by Japanesesnowball. 02/15/18 07:08 PM
Meditate
by Lisa Shea. 02/12/18 02:55 AM
Architecture photography challeng
by Lisa Shea. 02/11/18 10:52 PM
Train Photography Challenge
by Lisa Shea. 02/05/18 12:06 AM
Neglected
by Lisa Shea. 02/04/18 11:57 PM
mozzarella cheese
by Lisa Shea. 02/03/18 04:01 AM
free will
by Lisa Shea. 01/28/18 11:39 PM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link
Support Our Friends
The Animal Rescue Site