Winery in Sicily
Sponsored Link
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#354946 - 03/08/09 03:26 AM Sweet Red Wine Ideas
Lisa Shea Offline

Silver Star Soulmate

Loc: Massachusetts
Often people want to drink red wine for health reasons - but all they can tolerate are sweet flavors for taste-bud reasons. I have an article about sweet red wines here -

http://www.wineintro.com/basics/sweetred.html

What are some suggestions you have for sweet-toothed red wine drinkers?

The Shiraz-Cab blend from Australia always seemed sweet and easy-drinking to me.

Add Sweet Red Wine Ideas to Twitter Add Sweet Red Wine Ideas to Facebook Add Sweet Red Wine Ideas to MySpace Add Sweet Red Wine Ideas to Del.icio.us Digg Sweet Red Wine Ideas Add Sweet Red Wine Ideas to Yahoo My Web Add Sweet Red Wine Ideas to Google Bookmarks Add Sweet Red Wine Ideas to Stumbleupon Add Sweet Red Wine Ideas to Reddit
#354951 - 03/08/09 03:01 PM Re: Sweet Red Wine Ideas [Re: Lisa Shea]
wineaux Offline

While I am not a sweet wine lover, I have friends who are. They normally get what's on sale, but a couple of them are diehard fans of what they really like.
Joan really likes Austrailia's Lillypilly Red Velvet, while Laura is fond of the Cancao Red Sweet Table Wine from Brazil.
For me, the dornfelder mild from Germany is the most tolerable because it isn't icky sweet. Also, this wine is made vegan-friendly by some wineries!
Just about everybody has seen Riunite Lambrusco on the shelves, and the price is lower than some of the others.

New York's Finger Lakes region offers the Bully Hill Sweet Walter Red, which is also very affordable. I enjoy the story about the Bully Hill wines.
It seems that after Walter Taylor had sold his Taylor wines, he began making wine that he labeled in a manner that didn't suit the new owners. They sued him and they won. So Walter labeled his white wine,(also sweet), 'Love My Goat.'
The story goes that, when he was asked about the odd name for his new wine, he always laughed, saying. "They got my name, but not my goat!"
Don't know if that's true or not, but it's a fun story!

Add Re: Sweet Red Wine Ideas to Twitter Add Re: Sweet Red Wine Ideas to Facebook Add Re: Sweet Red Wine Ideas to MySpace Add Re: Sweet Red Wine Ideas to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Sweet Red Wine Ideas Add Re: Sweet Red Wine Ideas to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Sweet Red Wine Ideas to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Sweet Red Wine Ideas to Stumbleupon Add Re: Sweet Red Wine Ideas to Reddit
#354953 - 03/08/09 04:21 PM Re: Sweet Red Wine Ideas [Re: wineaux]
Lisa Shea Offline

Silver Star Soulmate

That's a great story, I've heard some things about that winery's situation. It can get as bad as a divorce sometimes.

Finding German reds in the states can be nearly impossible! In fact when I went to Germany a few years ago we made it a specific task to try to find German red wines to taste, as we went along the Rhine, and I think we only found one the entire time!

We did have a great time at the German Wine Museum -

Lots of fantastic stuff there!

Add Re: Sweet Red Wine Ideas to Twitter Add Re: Sweet Red Wine Ideas to Facebook Add Re: Sweet Red Wine Ideas to MySpace Add Re: Sweet Red Wine Ideas to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Sweet Red Wine Ideas Add Re: Sweet Red Wine Ideas to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Sweet Red Wine Ideas to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Sweet Red Wine Ideas to Stumbleupon Add Re: Sweet Red Wine Ideas to Reddit
#354958 - 03/08/09 05:25 PM Re: Sweet Red Wine Ideas [Re: Lisa Shea]
wineaux Offline

Great picture!
I have a friend who works for a distributorship that supplies the dornfelder mild and other organic, vegan-friendly wines, as well smile
I also know that in come markets, a red German riesling is offered. Now that's an interesting one!

#354959 - 03/08/09 05:36 PM Re: Sweet Red Wine Ideas [Re: wineaux]
Lisa Shea Offline

Silver Star Soulmate

Here's the whole write-up of the wine museum if you're interested, it was a great place to visit!

http://www.wineintro.com/regions/germany/museum/

How do they make a RED German riesling??

#354962 - 03/08/09 07:04 PM Re: Sweet Red Wine Ideas [Re: Lisa Shea]
wineaux Offline

Beats me, but I have seen it here, in Virginia, on store shelves!

#354967 - 03/09/09 04:03 AM Re: Sweet Red Wine Ideas [Re: wineaux]
Lisa Shea Offline

Silver Star Soulmate

They must have had something other than Riesling in the bottle - did the label say anything about what else was blended in?

#354968 - 03/09/09 09:40 AM Re: Sweet Red Wine Ideas [Re: Lisa Shea]
wineaux Offline

I really can't remember, Lisa, but something was certainly blended in. It's one of Schmit Shone's Relax Rieslings.

#354970 - 03/09/09 09:57 AM Re: Sweet Red Wine Ideas [Re: wineaux]
Brom Offline
Good Friend

There is no such thing as a red Riesling.

Scmhitt Sohne's Cool Red in their Relax line is 100% Dornfelder, a red hybrid grape.

#354971 - 03/09/09 10:02 AM Re: Sweet Red Wine Ideas [Re: Brom]
Brom Offline
Good Friend

"The Shiraz-Cab blend from Australia always seemed sweet and easy-drinking "

A word of caution to readers - there are dozens or hundreds of Oz Cab-Shiraz blends. I do not find the majority to be sweet in any way, although many are "easy-drinking".

Were one to pick up a Penfolds Bin 389 Cabernet-Shiraz looking for a sweet, easy drinking wine, one might end up being disappointed in one of the best wines Oz has to offer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Latest Posts
Poggerino Chianti Italy
by vagatont
08/29/14 01:38 AM
Found Old Bottle of Wine
by kc waters
08/24/14 01:10 PM
King Richard III and Wine
by Lisa Shea
08/18/14 10:35 AM
Courvoisier sangria
by Lisa Shea
08/15/14 05:21 PM
Do I really need a special glass?
by StemlessWG
08/11/14 05:18 PM
Aquarian Awakening - a Sci-Fi Romance
by Lisa Shea
08/05/14 09:18 PM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link