Off-Topic for Wine-Lovers
Travel Photos
Wine in Bermuda
Mouton Rothschild Bordeaux
Winery in Sicily
Sponsored Link
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#356098 - 12/22/09 11:37 AM Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? [Re: jonfitzsimon]
Brom Offline
Good Friend

What you posted abut is, as Lisa notes, not really misinformation. Wine with some age is a wonderful thing and most wines are best drunk within a couple of years of buying.

It is indeed a learning experience as are most things. Generally speaking, it is, unlike many things, an expensive experience too.

Be prepared for that. if you don't want to spend money, don't make wine a hobby.

Add Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? to Twitter Add Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? to Facebook Add Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? to MySpace Add Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? Add Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? to Stumbleupon Add Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? to Reddit
#356256 - 01/06/10 03:49 PM Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? [Re: Brom]
Lisa Shea Online   content

Silver Star Soulmate

Loc: Massachusetts
That's a very good point. Let's say you sort of like ports and want to start getting ports to age. You can't just get any random port and stick it in a fridge, because for all you know that port is not going to be one you like at all in 20 years. You need to learn what types of port you like, so you can get those specific ports and age them. But the way you learn is to drink them, and that's not free.

So either you find some wealthy friends who are happy to feed you lots of port, so you can figure out what you like and dislike, or you spend your own money to do that.

In art collecting you can look through photos online and learn what you like and dislike for free. But for wine, you have to ingest it, which means spending money. So it is definitely a hobby that requires some money. Or good friends smile

Add Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? to Twitter Add Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? to Facebook Add Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? to MySpace Add Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? Add Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? to Stumbleupon Add Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? to Reddit
#356260 - 01/07/10 03:23 AM Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? [Re: Lisa Shea]
jilly Offline
Companion

Loc: Verde Valley, AZ
Wow, you are all very impressive with your wine collecting! I only have a bottle or two on hand to drink after dinner. Sometimes I will buy six bottles or so to stock up, and then we drink them...

#356265 - 01/08/10 03:48 AM Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? [Re: jilly]

Silver Star Soulmate

It's all a matter of space too Jilly smile Someone in an RV will buy as they go, and that works perfectly!

#356272 - 01/08/10 10:52 PM Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? [Re: Lisa Shea]
jonfitzsimon Offline

I have an iPhone and there are quite a few cellar tracking apps available. They make it very convenient to store your info and have wish lists and reviews as well.

#356293 - 01/11/10 09:51 PM Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? [Re: jonfitzsimon]

Silver Star Soulmate

I really love my iPod and my iTouch, but it would be a royal pain for me to type into their system. I am still hunting for something that can easily scan every bottle and store it for me locally smile

#356310 - 01/13/10 09:42 PM Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? [Re: Lisa Shea]
jilly Offline
Companion

Loc: Verde Valley, AZ
Lisa, true, in an RV you really can't be having the extra weight around. Plus there are space issues and the jostling can't be good for the vino.

But here at home I have room. I guess it doesn't make sense to have a home cellar if all I can afford are cheap bottles of wine. Can you imagine showing something like THAT off? :P

#356321 - 01/14/10 02:07 AM Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? [Re: jilly]

Silver Star Soulmate

Well, but for most people a wine celler isn't at all about showing off. It is solely about aging. It's about being very frugal.

Say I love port, and that port tastes best when it's 20 years old. One option is to buy 20 year old ports at stores, which would be say $60 a bottle. The other option is to buy ports when they are brand new and fresh, at say $20 a bottle, and then age them myself. You save a TON of money by doing that.

So if you like a certain type of wine, which tastes best when it is aged, then it is always far more frugal to buy that wine "brand new" and age it yourself. It is much more expensive if you make the wine shop or winery age it for you, and then buy it when it's "ready".

#356323 - 01/14/10 08:34 AM Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? [Re: jilly]
Peter May Offline
Best Friend

Loc: St Albans, England
Originally Posted By: jilly
I guess it doesn't make sense to have a home cellar if all I can afford are cheap bottles of wine. Can you imagine showing something like THAT off? :P

It the convenience of having a bottle of wine there at hand when you want one.

When I arrived at a rented apartment in South Africa recently we decided to get some food from the supermarket and have dinner on our balcony. WE got to the shop at 5.15pm on Saturday to find licensing laws forbade selling of wine from 5pm on Saturday and all day Sunday.

No wine!! We went out to a restaurant.

Later on the stay one afternoon my partner said she fancied a glass of fizz. We had none, so I had to go to the shops, which luckily were open.

I had forgotten how unpleasant it is not to have a stock of wine to hand!!

Thats the primary purpose of my home cellar, second is to age some wines but thats not so important. My cellar is also all those wines I bought a case of because they were on special offer.

Every now and again the stores drastically slash prices and its then we pile in and 'fill our boots' with bargains to drink later.

Not showing off -- just expediency and common sense smile

#356332 - 01/14/10 07:21 PM Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? [Re: Peter May]

Silver Star Soulmate

That's a great point, Peter - this isn't even necessarily about "old wines". I suppose I think of my "wine cellar" as the basement, where we stick the wines that have to age. We put them down there so I won't drink them young. Not that it works very well smile

But we also have wines upstairs, and those are exactly what Peter was talking about - a group of wines we can have with dinner. So that way if I have a craving for a sparkling wine, I don't have to get dressed, get in the car, and go somewhere to buy one. There is one already on the shelf.

So it's just like having soups in your cupboard. If you want soup, you want to get it off the shelf and eat it. You don't want to have to go driving to the store to buy your can of soup smile

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Latest Posts
pink bubbly
by Lisa Shea
10/23/14 08:22 PM
BellaOnline Ebook Award
by PeterLewicke
10/10/14 04:49 PM
King Richard III and Wine
by PeterLewicke
10/10/14 04:47 PM
WineIntro Turns 10!
by PeterLewicke
10/10/14 04:43 PM
Root Beer Vanilla Sangria
by Lisa Shea
10/07/14 09:44 PM
Key Lime sangria
by Lisa Shea
10/06/14 07:15 PM
Into the Wasteland - A Dystopian Journey
by Lisa Shea
10/03/14 08:32 PM
Box Chardonnay
by Lisa Shea
10/02/14 08:00 PM
The Lucky Cat - Black Cat Vol. 1
by Lisa Shea
10/01/14 04:06 PM
Courvoisier sangria
by Pablo ferretta
09/25/14 05:30 PM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link