Winery in Sicily
Sponsored Link
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#356370 - 01/18/10 12:26 PM Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? [Re: jilly]
Peter May Offline
Best Friend

Loc: St Albans, England
Vodka is a spirit; it is their high alcohol level -- around 40% abv -- in spirits that prevent them freezing until a much lower temperature than can be achieved in domestic freezers.

However wine will freeze. Indeed it is a way to keep a part opened bottle: see here

Add Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? to Twitter Add Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? to Facebook Add Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? to MySpace Add Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? Add Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? to Stumbleupon Add Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? to Reddit
#356371 - 01/19/10 04:45 AM Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? [Re: Peter May]
Lisa Shea Online   content

Silver Star Soulmate

Loc: Massachusetts
Yes exactly, this is a fun lesson that many people do in chemistry class. Ethanol - i.e. alcohol - has a freezing point of -114C which is -173.2F. So if you had a bottle of 100% alcohol, it wouldn't freeze until it got down to -173 degrees. Your freezer could never get that cold smile

If your bottle was 100% water, it would of course freeze at 32F!

So then it's a matter of what proportion of alcohol is in your bottle. We always warn people NEVER EVER to freeze wine, the water will of course expand and the result it will shatter the bottle! Not fun smile

Add Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? to Twitter Add Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? to Facebook Add Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? to MySpace Add Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? Add Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? to Stumbleupon Add Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? to Reddit
#356377 - 01/19/10 08:19 AM Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? [Re: Lisa Shea]
jilly Offline
Companion

Loc: Verde Valley, AZ
Excellent! Thank you both, that kind of info is exactly what i was looking for. Peter, i like the idea of freezing wine to save it. Maybe with a bold red. smile

#356390 - 01/25/10 03:13 AM Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? [Re: jilly]

Silver Star Soulmate

I prefer the idea of drinking the wine and not saving it smile

The ice winery guys I visited were horrified at the idea of someone just drinking down their ice wine. I think they wanted it to be sipped and savored over the course of a week or two ...

#356400 - 01/25/10 09:15 PM Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? [Re: Lisa Shea]
Eiganjo Offline

Loc: Northern California
Ha ha ... my collection is into double-digits ... just barely. I have 10 bottles ... and thats only because I bought 6 this weekend smile

Still exploring to see what I enjoy, before buying a lot of anything.

#356403 - 01/25/10 09:32 PM Re: How Many Bottles do you Have? [Re: Eiganjo]

Silver Star Soulmate

That's a very wise plan, Eiganjo! No need to rush. If you bought random bottles you didn't like, they would only be clutter!

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Latest Posts
Found Old Bottle of Wine
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 03:27 AM
Do I really need a special glass?
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 03:23 AM
Chaine des Rotisseur
by Lisa Shea
Yesterday at 03:22 AM
Thanksgiving Wine
by Lisa Shea
11/25/14 07:13 PM
Thanksgiving Traveling
by Lisa Shea
11/25/14 03:40 AM
Ginger Sangria
by Lisa Shea
11/22/14 01:47 AM
Sambuca Sangria
by Lisa Shea
11/21/14 12:25 AM
Grand Marnier Sangria
by Lisa Shea
11/17/14 12:25 AM
Mused Literary Review
by Lisa Shea
11/07/14 04:48 PM
Ruffino Prosecco
by Lisa Shea
11/07/14 02:14 AM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link