Off-Topic for Wine-Lovers
Travel Photos
Wine in Bermuda
Mouton Rothschild Bordeaux
Winery in Sicily
Sponsored Link
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#355834 - 09/17/09 02:12 PM Drinking wine during pregnancy....
kysongbird Offline

Loc: United States
This may be an off the wall question, but is drinking a glass or two of red wine each day or even sparingly while you are pregnant harmful to the baby??? The reason I ask this is a friend of mine said that their cousin who lives in New York drank a glass of red wine everyday throughout her pregnancy because it was good for her and the baby....she actually did this throughout all 3 of her pregnancies and all of her children are happy, healthy, and smart.
I know everything has it's advantages and disadvantages and we have been conditioned or taught that drinking alcohol while pregnant can be harmful to the baby.
Any thoughts????

Add Drinking wine during pregnancy.... to Twitter Add Drinking wine during pregnancy.... to Facebook Add Drinking wine during pregnancy.... to MySpace Add Drinking wine during pregnancy.... to Del.icio.us Digg Drinking wine during pregnancy.... Add Drinking wine during pregnancy.... to Yahoo My Web Add Drinking wine during pregnancy.... to Google Bookmarks Add Drinking wine during pregnancy.... to Stumbleupon Add Drinking wine during pregnancy.... to Reddit
#355835 - 09/17/09 08:59 PM Re: Drinking wine during pregnancy.... [Re: kysongbird]
Brom Offline
Good Friend

Deleted.

The kindler, gentler me, Lisa.

Add Re: Drinking wine during pregnancy.... to Twitter Add Re: Drinking wine during pregnancy.... to Facebook Add Re: Drinking wine during pregnancy.... to MySpace Add Re: Drinking wine during pregnancy.... to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Drinking wine during pregnancy.... Add Re: Drinking wine during pregnancy.... to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Drinking wine during pregnancy.... to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Drinking wine during pregnancy.... to Stumbleupon Add Re: Drinking wine during pregnancy.... to Reddit
#355839 - 09/23/09 03:33 AM Re: Drinking wine during pregnancy.... [Re: Brom]
Lisa Shea Offline

Silver Star Soulmate

Loc: Massachusetts
LOL Brom you are too good.

There are lots of things that "might be OK" while you are pregnant - and if you happen to do them wrong, your baby suffers serious brain damage. I think wine falls into the category of "why would you risk it"? Sure you could get lucky and it won't brain damage your baby. Maybe the brain damage is mild and you think your baby is just "normal" when your baby was meant to be a genius. It would never HELP your child to feed them alcohol. Alcohol is a poison. If the mother needs that kind of stress relief, she needs to take up meditation for 9 months.

Add Re: Drinking wine during pregnancy.... to Twitter Add Re: Drinking wine during pregnancy.... to Facebook Add Re: Drinking wine during pregnancy.... to MySpace Add Re: Drinking wine during pregnancy.... to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Drinking wine during pregnancy.... Add Re: Drinking wine during pregnancy.... to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Drinking wine during pregnancy.... to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Drinking wine during pregnancy.... to Stumbleupon Add Re: Drinking wine during pregnancy.... to Reddit
#356049 - 12/03/09 03:12 PM Re: Drinking wine during pregnancy.... [Re: Lisa Shea]
kysongbird Offline

Well, I haven't even met the lady...I do know she isn't American, so I was curious if this strange behavior was something practiced in another nationality. Thanks for responding..oh and for deleting Brom's reply, which I'm sure was full of sarcasim wink

#356052 - 12/04/09 11:30 AM Re: Drinking wine during pregnancy.... [Re: kysongbird]
Brom Offline
Good Friend

I deleted my own response thank you. It wasn't so much full of sarcasm as it was full of frustration and anger that someone could be so stupid as to solicit advice about pre-natal health from a bunch of drinkers on the internet.

#356130 - 12/29/09 02:55 PM Re: Drinking wine during pregnancy.... [Re: Brom]
kysongbird Offline

I hardly think my 'question' was soliciting advice in anyway, so if someone could be so stupid as to take it that way, I am assuming that person is in search for any cause to argue and insult. By the way, thanks so much for deleting the earlier post smile

#356132 - 12/30/09 11:46 AM Re: Drinking wine during pregnancy.... [Re: kysongbird]
Brom Offline
Good Friend

Let's look at the tape Howie:

Someone asks "is drinking a glass or two of red wine each day or even sparingly while you are pregnant harmful to the baby???"

The person making that query then asserts "I hardly think my 'question' was soliciting advice"

Apparently Doc the premise is that answering this question "yes" or "no" would not constitute advising the questioner as to the health or harm of drinking alcohol during pregnancy.

That seems to be an unrealistic view of what the question was. It goes even further - the poster apparently believes that anyone who recognized this request for advice as to what is or is not healthy or harmful while pregnant as indeed a request for advice must be stupid.

You know what they say in the movies, Howie.

What's that, Doc?

Stupid is as stupid does.

#356140 - 12/31/09 11:06 PM Re: Drinking wine during pregnancy.... [Re: Brom]
Lisa Shea Offline

Silver Star Soulmate

Loc: Massachusetts
Apparently I need to post some rules about cyberbullying in this forum. It's a legal crime in many states to cyberbully other people. That includes denigrating peoples' intelligence which both of the above posts are doing.

Kysongbird and Brom - please remember in the future that the US government - which governs these forums - is cracking down very seriously on cyberbullying and your posts are permanent records which can be prosecuted.

Please make sure when you make a post that you do not engage in cyberbullying activity. I will clarify this with a full guideline shortly. I would not like to see any of my forum members brought to court.

kysongbird - to clarify, you most definitely asked for advice. You explicitly said "The reason I ask this ..." We are here to help provide answers to people, and we do so regularly! If you make a post asking for advice, we are happy to provide it. However, please do not then call our members "stupid" for responding to your query.

#356204 - 01/03/10 02:24 AM Re: Drinking wine during pregnancy.... [Re: Lisa Shea]
jilly Offline
Companion

Loc: Verde Valley, AZ
I've been taught that no question is stupid, if asked sincerely. I think this is a legitimate basis for conversation --> do all countries practice abstaining during pregnancy? And do people actually refrain from ALL drinking during pregnancy...do some people imbibe a little bit of wine from time to time anyway?

Never having had a child, this is interesting to me.

#356468 - 02/11/10 12:50 PM Re: Drinking wine during pregnancy.... [Re: jilly]
Neil G.B. Offline
Long Time Friend

Have just completed some tastings notes for wine we had at the week end you might find of interest, wine was Humage Blanche.

Makers notes say tradition is the grape dates back to Roman times it is has 3 times the level of iron than other grapes, its nick name is the " wine given birth", its reputed given to pregnant women, monks & bishops in bygone days as a tonic.

Now I am worried is was my wife who brought the wine, is she not telling me something.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Latest Posts
HELP: Wanting to make my own wine.
by PeterLewicke
04/05/14 01:44 PM
Lychee Sangria
by Lisa Shea
03/27/14 07:11 PM
2009 Chateau les Rouilleres
by Lisa Shea
03/26/14 10:14 PM
Happy Spring Equinox!
by PeterLewicke
03/25/14 07:12 PM
Light Beer
by PeterLewicke
03/25/14 07:02 PM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link