Off-Topic for Wine-Lovers
Travel Photos
Wine in Bermuda
Mouton Rothschild Bordeaux
Winery in Sicily
Sponsored Link
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#355841 - 09/23/09 07:24 PM Wine & Allergies?
AzizOmar Offline

Hi all,
I love drinking wine however after the first glass I suddenly have a rush of sneezing and sinuses congestion any reason for these symptoms?

Add Wine & Allergies? to Twitter Add Wine & Allergies? to Facebook Add Wine & Allergies? to MySpace Add Wine & Allergies? to Del.icio.us Digg Wine & Allergies? Add Wine & Allergies? to Yahoo My Web Add Wine & Allergies? to Google Bookmarks Add Wine & Allergies? to Stumbleupon Add Wine & Allergies? to Reddit
#355842 - 09/23/09 09:12 PM Re: Wine & Allergies? [Re: AzizOmar]
Peter May Offline
Best Friend

Loc: St Albans, England
Every wine? Red, white? Every time?

Add Re: Wine & Allergies? to Twitter Add Re: Wine & Allergies? to Facebook Add Re: Wine & Allergies? to MySpace Add Re: Wine & Allergies? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Wine & Allergies? Add Re: Wine & Allergies? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Wine & Allergies? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Wine & Allergies? to Stumbleupon Add Re: Wine & Allergies? to Reddit
#355846 - 09/23/09 11:25 PM Re: Wine & Allergies? [Re: Peter May]
Lisa Shea Online   content

Silver Star Soulmate

Loc: Massachusetts
Definitely the red or white question is an important one! We'd love more details!

Add Re: Wine & Allergies? to Twitter Add Re: Wine & Allergies? to Facebook Add Re: Wine & Allergies? to MySpace Add Re: Wine & Allergies? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Wine & Allergies? Add Re: Wine & Allergies? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Wine & Allergies? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Wine & Allergies? to Stumbleupon Add Re: Wine & Allergies? to Reddit
#356682 - 03/05/10 08:24 PM Re: Wine & Allergies? [Re: AzizOmar]
zenonie Offline

Loc: Australia
quote=AzizOmar]Hi all,
I love drinking wine however after the first glass I suddenly have a rush of sneezing and sinuses congestion any reason for these symptoms?
[/quote]

Hi there, love your forum, seems friendly! I too, have recently had this problem after being a wine drinker for 20 years with no problems.

One night recently, after about 3 glasses of Verdhello, I started sneezing and my head just seemed to fill up with congestion which caused much blowing of the nose. Then about 2 nights later I had had a couple of glasses of Chardy and was ok, then had a Cabernet with dinner and it happened again. I haven't revisited these 2 wines again. I also have been only drinking one type of wine at a time since this so I know which ones do it to me. And it's only happened twice, it's like really bad hayfever. I would dearly like to know why this is happening as it sure spoils a good drink! Cheers zenonie

#356683 - 03/06/10 04:31 AM Re: Wine & Allergies? [Re: zenonie]

Silver Star Soulmate

Zenonie -

Aha! We would LOVE to use you as a test subject! Keep in mind that all sorts of other things might be involved, and only two days is not a good test case. Especially 2 days so close together. Who knows, both days you might have eaten peanuts too and it was the wine you were paying attention to.

Start with a fresh day. Write down what you eat for the day. And then have a glass of red wine - but WRITE DOWN what kind. Exactly. Let us know!!

#356687 - 03/06/10 09:36 AM Re: Wine & Allergies? [Re: Lisa Shea]
Neil G.B. Offline
Long Time Friend

Zenonie,
Greetings, do hope you get to the bottom of the problem, I cannot help, do not even know what Verdello is, I am still learning the ropes, but with these guys I am learning fast, they friendly helpful bunch of people, look forward to seeing you around.

Neil

Ps. what is the aircraft?

#356693 - 03/06/10 04:16 PM Re: Wine & Allergies? [Re: Neil G.B.]
Peter May Offline
Best Friend

Loc: St Albans, England

There are many complex chemicals in wines produced during the fermentation process.

Sneezing may be caused by intolerence to histamines which are in some wines. Usually red wines -- but not all red wines -- have more histamines than white wine.

It is not necessarily the grape variety and can vary from vintage to vintage and it is more likely to be apparent in artisan wines than big brands which are processed and filtered most.

I think you are doing the sensible thing and avoiding in future wines that you react to. Perhaps you could patronise wine shops that let you taste first.

Please note that I am not medically qualified and if you are concerned about this you should see your doctor.

#356703 - 03/06/10 07:35 PM Re: Wine & Allergies? [Re: Peter May]

Silver Star Soulmate

That's very true, I suppose I should have said to talk with a doctor before deliberately exposing yourself to something you have reactions to. That was bad of me smile

#356727 - 03/08/10 08:10 PM Re: Wine & Allergies? [Re: Lisa Shea]
zenonie Offline

Loc: Australia
Gidday everybody, I'm diligently doing my research and haven't had another problem. So will keep you posted. I don't know whar the plane is it was just a stock picture. All the best zenonie

#356728 - 03/08/10 11:52 PM Re: Wine & Allergies? [Re: zenonie]

Silver Star Soulmate

That is great that you haven't had any problems since then!

I know I was bad to suggest you expose yourself to more red wine smile But if you do talk with a doctor and are told it's safe, then give a glass of a gentle red a try, like a low alcohol merlot. Let us know if you have any reaction to that!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Lisa Shea 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Latest Posts
WineIntro Turns 10!
by PeterLewicke
10/26/14 07:26 PM
pink bubbly
by Lisa Shea
10/23/14 08:22 PM
BellaOnline Ebook Award
by PeterLewicke
10/10/14 04:49 PM
King Richard III and Wine
by PeterLewicke
10/10/14 04:47 PM
Root Beer Vanilla Sangria
by Lisa Shea
10/07/14 09:44 PM
Key Lime sangria
by Lisa Shea
10/06/14 07:15 PM
Into the Wasteland - A Dystopian Journey
by Lisa Shea
10/03/14 08:32 PM
Box Chardonnay
by Lisa Shea
10/02/14 08:00 PM
The Lucky Cat - Black Cat Vol. 1
by Lisa Shea
10/01/14 04:06 PM
Forum Guidelines
This forum takes web safety issues very seriously. Please make sure you have read and understood our Forum Guidelines before posting.
Sponsored Link